Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 3 Series
Suspension Replacement advice please

Hi everyone,
A friend of mine is driving a Mercedes GLK 220 CDI 4Matic 204X
year make: 2013.

She would like to replace the suspension to something better than stock, in terms of quality, ride, comfort ect.. She could even go with the coil-overs if necessary.

Could you please advice 1 or 2 packages.
Thank you!
Old 03-12-2018, 04:37 AM

Received 152 Likes on 132 Posts
2013 GLK350
Sell the GLK and get a different car or you can install 17" diameter wheels and larger sidewall tyres.

Coilovers are a terrible idea. They are usually put on cars to lower the ride height and improve handling. They do this by having really stiff springs. Coil overs worth the money are too expensive, and the ones that are affordable are terrible in quality and reliability.

It is a balancing act of cost, durability, handling, and comfort. You will NOT be able to improve comfort without sacrificing handling, durability, and.money. I would personally look into high performance summer soft compound tyres and small alloy wheels.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 03-12-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 3 Series
Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Sell the GLK and get a different car or you can install 17" diameter wheels and larger sidewall tyres.

Coilovers are a terrible idea. They are usually put on cars to lower the ride height and improve handling. They do this by having really stiff springs. Coil overs worth the money are too expensive, and the ones that are affordable are terrible in quality and reliability.

It is a balancing act of cost, durability, handling, and comfort. You will NOT be able to improve comfort without sacrificing comfort, durability, and.money. I would personally look into high performance summer soft compound tyres and small alloy wheels.
hehe selling the GLK isn't the option, but it's entertaining

I checked on Bilstein website & it has the application for the GLK.
Now I just have to find an authorize dealer who can order it.

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2018, 11:09 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Now as JonnyC points out you are going to be over damped and under sprung. What she needs is air bags where you can soften the ride when you want to. What road surface are you on? What tire pressure is she running? Remember that soft ride will probably give you , sway, lean and soft tracking. The lean may trigger the stability control.