GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Carbon Build Up Deposit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 12:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
GLK350
Carbon Build Up Deposit

Hello GLK Owners (particularly 2013+). After all these years, I wanted to see if any of you guys experienced carbon build up on the valves as seen with most DFI engines?
Old 06-20-2018, 11:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 GLK350 4-Matic
Our 2013 runs fantastic with 86k miles on it. I do run a bottle of Techron through it about every 6 months just to keep the fuel system clean.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:03 PM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 GLK350
Direct injection engines spray the fuel directly into the cylinder unlike older injection that sprayed upstream of the valves. This means that the intake valves don't get "washed" by the fuel spray and some of the older direct injection engines developed carbon buildup on the intake valves. The buildup is bad because it reduces intake flow and reduces power, efficiency.

I did a bit of reading about this a few months ago and it seems to not be a problem with our engines however I think some earlier BMWs had some trouble.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:37 AM

GLK350
Originally Posted by formerjeepguy
Direct injection engines spray the fuel directly into the cylinder unlike older injection that sprayed upstream of the valves. This means that the intake valves don't get "washed" by the fuel spray and some of the older direct injection engines developed carbon buildup on the intake valves. The buildup is bad because it reduces intake flow and reduces power, efficiency.

I did a bit of reading about this a few months ago and it seems to not be a problem with our engines however I think some earlier BMWs had some trouble.
That looks like the case too. It seems Mercedes is the only manufacturer that this isn't issue. BMW/VW/Audi were notorious with this and still is (Mostly due to exhaust gas recirculation systems).

That being said, is there anything to look out for with these GLKs? I know the earlier year models were known for the balancer issue. Otherwise, the GLK sounds like its built like a tank
Old 06-21-2018, 11:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 GLK350 4-Matic
Didn't even think of the Direct Injection being downstream from the valves. Makes sense what you said though. I guess the Techron will at least keep the injectors clean and maybe the combustion chamber possibly.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
'18 718 GTS, CX-50 Meridian
VAG and BMW engines were horrible with this.

I wonder if the design of the M276 which is actually not super new, took this into account.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:57 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
The build up on valves also causes the valve not to contact the head so that they do not cool, even though they don't leak. Results in burnt valves in the BMW's. Other problems with the basic engine is the dual manifold cross over valve actuators and the anti-lock brakes/stability control pumps and valve system after 100,000 miles
Old 07-11-2018, 06:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Can somebody educate me a bit.
Pre-DFI or DFI, there should be carbon build up on the exhaust valves.
Why having build up on the intake valves is such a big issue and on the exhaust valves is not.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:48 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Exhaust valves are generally larger and have more contact surface area for cooling. Burnt valves have been with us since the beginning of the internal combustion engine. Lean carburetors and retarded ignitions were the primary cause of valve burning before all the electronics. Now with knock sensors and perfect 14.7:1 fuel ratios set with direct injection, burnt valves should be a thing of the past, however, that was seen to be not the case. The search for efficiency and fuel ratio programming by the manufacturer may not be as an exact science as some manufacturers thought, so a little too rich for acceleration adds deposits, a little too lean for standard running adds heat, a tweak on the timing, who knows, and the valve doesn't cool so a little melts.
I believe the BMW problem is in the design of the head. Inlet valve guides are lubricated from the heads with engine oil. Since the valve stem is open to the combustion chamber during intake, a DI engine doesn't wash the valve stem as in Non DI engines, so sticking may occur from burnt oil deposits as the valve moves up and down through the guides. Anyone who had a VW Rabit knows that leaking valve guides have been a big problem since the '70's in many German cars. American cars and Japanese cars have all had problems with valve guide seals. That little cloud of white smoke that appears after idling at a stop light then goes away, is a sure sign of bad seals. Again, a sticking valve that doesn't make good contact to the head when closed will not cool and will eventually burn.
On this board, there doesn't seem to be any talk about valve problems, so MB must have done something right.
The following users liked this post:
NYCGLK (07-12-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 01:05 PM

2011 GLK350
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
Can somebody educate me a bit.
Pre-DFI or DFI, there should be carbon build up on the exhaust valves.
Why having build up on the intake valves is such a big issue and on the exhaust valves is not.
Exhaust valves are self-cleaning - they're heated during the compression, combustion, and exhaust portion of the combustion cycle, they hold more of that heat due to their larger volume, and they don't cool very much during the intake portion of the combustion cycle.

Compare that to intake valves, which are cooled significantly during the intake portion of the combustion cycle, aren't heated during the exhaust cycle, they are heated a bit less than the exhaust valves during the combustion and compression stages (less exposed area in the cylinder), and don't hold as much heat due to their smaller volume. They never get hot enough to burn off any deposits that accumulate.

Last edited by CarbonKevinYWG; 07-11-2018 at 01:20 PM. Reason: clarification
The following users liked this post:
NYCGLK (07-12-2018)