Passenger air vent rattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GLK 350
Angry Passenger air vent rattle

Hi folks,

New to this forum - wanted to see if anyone had expertise in this area! I did a search on this forum and didn't find any previous posts.

My mother has a 2015 GLK350, one of the later models where the front has these kind of air vents: https://d2n97g4vasjwsk.cloudfront.ne...20Part%201.png

It has a rattle in the dash which i've narrowed down to the passenger air vent. There's a plastic/metal kind of ticking noise whenever going over bumps or rough surfaces. I've tried changing the position of the vent, applying some lubricant, super glue, etc. but nothing seems to be doing the trick. Has anyone had any experience with taking this piece out and replacing it? Does it pull straight out or does the dash have to be taken out? When the air vent is in there it's hard to do any work on it...

Best,
Jamie
Old 09-28-2018, 06:44 PM

Received 152 Likes on 132 Posts
2013 GLK350
you need to remove the wood trim with a special tool. then there are four spring tabs you compress and push the vent out.

have you looked in the footwell, glove box, blower motor, cabin air filter? How did you come to the conclusion it is that particular vent? Do you have a sound file?
Old 09-28-2018, 06:52 PM

2015 GLK 350
Originally Posted by JohnnyC
you need to remove the wood trim with a special tool. then there are four spring tabs you compress and push the vent out.

have you looked in the footwell, glove box, blower motor, cabin air filter? How did you come to the conclusion it is that particular vent? Do you have a sound file?
Hey Johnny,

Thanks for the quick reply! I have checked the footwell and glove box. I have not yet checked the blower motor or the cabin air filter, although I am scheduled to change that in the next couple days. When you say I need to remove the wood trim, do you mean the entire piece that spans the dash? Do you access that from the side?

I think it's the air vent because I can press down firmly on the star-looking piece if my mother is driving and that seems to silence or muffle the noise. I also get a bit of a scraping sound if I move the vent around. I've tried to glue the star and the 'cup-like' piece together, so I think the sound is in the metal spine itself. I'll record a sound file on my drive home.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:00 PM

Received 152 Likes on 132 Posts
2013 GLK350
yeah the entire wood trim holds three vents. you need a special claw socket and torx 20 driver to remove the fasteners, then you pry around the edges. It is very easy to damage.
The following users liked this post:
jamie1985 (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 07:06 PM

2015 GLK 350
Thanks! I will call up my local dealer to see how much the tool is. I have been de-rattling my own car but never hers.