Passenger seat too low

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 06:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 ML430, 2014 GLK250
Passenger seat too low

2014 GLK250 with electric seats and the passenger seat at full height

Back in the old days, 1950's and early 60's, American cars came with a block between the seats and the floor that could easily be removed for people needing more headroom. Just loosen the 4 bolts that held the seat to the floor and then, one at a time: remove bolt, slide out spacer, reinstall (but not tighten) bolt. When done with all 4, just tighten the 4 bolts.

While the GLK didn't come with the spacers, is there any reason why they could not be added? Finding the right strength, longer bolts might be difficult (strong but not hard) but I don't see anything under the seat to make this difficult. I'd like to raise the seat about 25mm.

Thoughts?
Old 10-03-2018, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 273 Likes on 231 Posts
GLK 250
Probably cheaper and easier to add a nice, thick supporting cushion than to mess with things under the seat, including air bag connectors and other wiring harnesses.

You're looking for, what, a 1" inch raise? Some orthopedic cushions will give you that.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 ML430, 2014 GLK250
Originally Posted by andreigbs
Probably cheaper and easier to add a nice, thick supporting cushion than to mess with things under the seat, including air bag connectors and other wiring harnesses.

You're looking for, what, a 1" inch raise? Some orthopedic cushions will give you that.
Yes, we've used cushions before and they don't work as well as one might think. Looking under the seat, there appears to be only a single wire bundle with plenty of length so I don't think this is rocket science. In fact I think the only critical issue is to get the right strength bolt. For example, grade 8 bolts are "stronger" than grade 5 but they are also brittle so a very poor solution when there is an exposure to shear stresses. Possibly grade 10.9 would be the right ones.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 273 Likes on 231 Posts
GLK 250
It's up to you obviously, and it's your car. From a safety perspective in case of a crash, I don't think I would want to mess with the integrity of the seat mounting.

That's why I would discourage any modifications. Good luck with your quest nonetheless.