GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Cracking MB-Tex

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 09:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 GLK250, 2022 Tesla MYLR, 1997 Correct Craft Ski Nautique
There is definitely a difference if you look closely and do a side-by-side comparison. But I'm the only one who has noticed. Because the new seat is real leather, it just isn't as 'shiny', and the texture is a little 'softer' than MB-Tex. The leather seat also 'grabs' you / holds you in better than the fake stuff. Note that these were taken in the garage with florescent lights, so neither look that good. They almost look brown here, but they are black. The difference is really the 'shininess'.

Here's the drivers seat with the new seat cushion.

Here's the passenger seat with all MB-Tex:

That said, my wife was always a little miffed that a MB would come with fake leather, and it sure wore out quick. My first jag ('97) was all leather, and the seats still were in good shape at 247k miles.

I'm happy enough with this; I suspect that if I got OEM skins from the dealer, they would not look the same (brand new vs 105k mile seats).

I can take pictures outside tomorrow if you like. Looks much better in decent light. And like I said, no-one (including my wife and daughter or anyone else that's been in the car) has noticed, other than there's no torn seat anymore.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:04 PM

Oh, and here's the original.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
GLK350
Originally Posted by slmskrs
There is definitely a difference if you look closely and do a side-by-side comparison. But I'm the only one who has noticed. Because the new seat is real leather, it just isn't as 'shiny', and the texture is a little 'softer' than MB-Tex. The leather seat also 'grabs' you / holds you in better than the fake stuff. Note that these were taken in the garage with florescent lights, so neither look that good. They almost look brown here, but they are black. The difference is really the 'shininess'.

Here's the drivers seat with the new seat cushion.

Here's the passenger seat with all MB-Tex:

That said, my wife was always a little miffed that a MB would come with fake leather, and it sure wore out quick. My first jag ('97) was all leather, and the seats still were in good shape at 247k miles.

I'm happy enough with this; I suspect that if I got OEM skins from the dealer, they would not look the same (brand new vs 105k mile seats).

I can take pictures outside tomorrow if you like. Looks much better in decent light. And like I said, no-one (including my wife and daughter or anyone else that's been in the car) has noticed, other than there's no torn seat anymore.
mbtex leatherette has been used since the 70s. Those made between 70s and 90s still look brand new today. In 2000s they went with a differ formulation to soften (soft touch) it with more leather like texture in an effort to mimic leather. Back in the day, the skin and subtrate was impregnanted black. What mercedes is doing now is coating it black in order to replicate the grain of leather.
Old 03-24-2021, 02:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
GLK350
Also an FYI for those with mbtex interiors (or any soft touch plastic/pleather interior), DO NOT use microfiber towels when cleaning the interior like you would normally do on fabric or leather. The micro loops in the fabric are abbrasive and grabs the grain of the soft touch layer; ripping off of the subbrate. Avoid silicon based cleaners

Going forward, use cotton towels and your choice of protectant (I recommend 303 aerospace) as it will create a sacrificial protection layer ontop of your mbtex.
The following users liked this post:
andreigbs (03-24-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 01:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 Mercedes SLC300
So I took my car in to the dealership on 03/19/21 and filed a warranty claim on the driver seat. The Service Rep agreed that there was no way the material should be doing that at 7k miles. Well, it's been almost a month and I can't even get anyone to return my calls or emails. I guess I'm going to have to just show up there and ask for the General Manager. I'm really losing confidence in Mercedes and regretting this purchase.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:27 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by Cordovian
So I took my car in to the dealership on 03/19/21 and filed a warranty claim on the driver seat. The Service Rep agreed that there was no way the material should be doing that at 7k miles. Well, it's been almost a month and I can't even get anyone to return my calls or emails. I guess I'm going to have to just show up there and ask for the General Manager. I'm really losing confidence in Mercedes and regretting this purchase.
For any warranty work I've ever had done, I just make the appointment for the repair and have the dealership deal with corporate to get their reimbursements.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:20 PM

2020 Mercedes SLC300
Originally Posted by Cordovian
The MB Tex on the drivers seat outer bolster of my 2020 SLC has a one inch crack in it. I only have 6,400 miles on the car and it too is garaged at home and work. Wonder if they'll cover this one under warranty? I certainly don't want to have to DIY fix a seat on a six month old car.
Update: After having to resubmit my claim after the service rep and service manager did nothing with the first claim, I finally heard back (took 3 emails) and they said the damage was due to outside influence. I asked what type of "outside influence" would cause this but did not hear back from them so I called MB corporate. They distanced themselves from the decision by saying that "Warranty Services" makes those decisions. They also said I needed to get a quote from the dealership for the repair and that they would "see about offering some assistance". I was also informed that interiors are not covered by their warranty at all.

Between the MB-Tex issue, the lack of basic voice dialing, the mixing of halogen and LED lamps in the headlights (look like crap at night) and a host of missed QC items I corrected myself, I'm really about done with Mercedes. I'm really tempted to go ahead and cut my losses and go back to Audi.

Update: So I decided to go speak to the general manager in person. Long story short...my seat got replaced and the service manager lost his job. End of story.

Last edited by Cordovian; 05-24-2021 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 270 Likes on 228 Posts
GLK 250
In short, "they don't make them like they used to."

Such is life.
Old 04-29-2021, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300D Turbo 1984
I wish!! I bought a replacement seat bottom cover (parts are leather). They had a video on how to do the replacement, but never showed how they unplugged the seat heater connection. I spent way too much time trying to disconnect the two ends, and finally gave up and just cut out the connector. I replaced it with a two-wire trailer connector (and soldered the splices). However, the bottom doesn't heat any more. I don't think it has anything to do with the connector; I think it is from all of the tugging, yanking, stretching I did trying to get the new cover over the foam. That was NOT fun (and I never actually got it completely in--gave up and taped it where you can't see it).

I checked the seat resistance and there was resistance (I don't remember how many ohms). I wanted to unplug the passenger cushion to compare resistance, but I would run into the same issue disconnecting the stock connector. But at least with that cushion, I wouldn't be tugging on the cushion so wouldn't possibly damage the element of that seat so could measure it, put in the same trailer connector, and know for sure if it was the element that died during the seat cover battle.

Also, I installed seat heating elements in my tournament water ski boat, but the way the MB cover is attached, there's no way one of those OEM heating elements would fit/work. So I suspect I just won't have seat bottom heating (back works fine). Winter is over so don't need it much (especially since I'm in California....
Can you please post the link of the video instructions on how to replace this seat cover?
Thanks,
Bobby
Old 04-29-2021, 03:33 PM

From manufacturer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJk4...ature=youtu.be

This is a very short video. I couldn't figure out how the side "J" clamps attached to the seat frame. I pinged Richmond Auto Upholstery (leather-auto-seats.com) and they texted this video (so very poor quality but it helped me understand how it's supposed to attach. Much easier said/watched than done....

Old 04-29-2021, 06:37 PM

300D Turbo 1984
From manufacturer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJk4...ature=youtu.be

This is a very short video. I couldn't figure out how the side "J" clamps attached to the seat frame. I pinged Richmond Auto Upholstery (leather-auto-seats.com) and they texted this video (so very poor quality but it helped me understand how it's supposed to attach. Much easier said/watched than done.... https://youtu.be/LQ3pVzjqRFs
Thank you for this video. I'll study this over and over before I make a stab at it.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:49 PM

'97 SL320 and '15 E350 wagon
Angry 2015 E350 Driver Seat Tear

Well I joined the 'Club" yesterday. 5.5 years was the life of the MB Tex junk on the seat. When I called the upholstery shop, I was the 4th call for the same repair that day. Only $540 parts and labor to replace this poor quality material. MBUSA should be standing behind this one because it is far too systemic and evident to ignore. I doubt I will buy another Benz--the price vs quality and reliability just aren't there any more and the market is full of choices with better quality manufacturing. I didn't even waste my time with the Dealers here in Phoenix because they don't really care about the customer--just sell cars as fast as possible. The bitterness of poor quality is remembered for a long time.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
I would look at one of the many decent vinyl repair kits. I know 3M makes one. They're pretty easy to use and do a great job at covering up cracks and tears.

Should you have to fix a MB seat after a few years? Absolutely not. But such is life.
Travelness (12-20-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 10:57 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2014 GLK250
Well, the seam in the middle of my seat is now completely ripped. 2014 model, not even 100k miles. I'm waiting for the boss of my local dealership to call me back and see if we can resolve this amicably. This is not acceptable. I'm skinny as hell, too.
Travelness (12-20-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
That sucks, sorry Hugo. It's definitely much more common than you'd expect from a luxury brand. Then again, what self-respecting luxury brand uses vinyl or "leatherette" in their cars?

At your GLK's age and miles, I doubt they'll goodwill repair it. Maybe they'll give you a break on the price of the new cover and install?
Old 05-25-2021, 01:50 PM

2014 GLK250
I would settle for that, especially since I didn't even buy it at that dealership. If I had a decent source for a seat cover, I'd do it myself.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:41 AM

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts
2006 Alfa Romeo Brera, 2010 GLK350, 2018 BMW 640i GT, 1997 Subaru SVX, 2012 Moto Guzzi Norge GT8V
Originally Posted by Hugo L.
I would settle for that, especially since I didn't even buy it at that dealership. If I had a decent source for a seat cover, I'd do it myself.
Here ya go...Richmond Upholstery
slmskrs (07-05-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 11:17 AM

2014 GLK250
But that's leather. Granted, it is superior, but it will be obvious...
Old 05-26-2021, 11:52 AM

300D Turbo 1984
Originally Posted by Johntie
Well I joined the 'Club" yesterday. 5.5 years was the life of the MB Tex junk on the seat. When I called the upholstery shop, I was the 4th call for the same repair that day. Only $540 parts and labor to replace this poor quality material. MBUSA should be standing behind this one because it is far too systemic and evident to ignore. I doubt I will buy another Benz--the price vs quality and reliability just aren't there any more and the market is full of choices with better quality manufacturing. I didn't even waste my time with the Dealers here in Phoenix because they don't really care about the customer--just sell cars as fast as possible. The bitterness of poor quality is remembered for a long time.
I wish MB USA is tuning in occasionally to these forums to learn from what they need to fix, i.e. if they are willing and to what extent just to keep their name CLEAN.

I have a 2011 E350 with a torn driver seat. I would be happy for MB USA to just send me a genuine replacement at no cost in exchange for me to send them the torn unit (before or after sending me the replacement. )
I will be more than happy to pay for the labor local around my area in VA. That would be the BEST deal for me!!! And Mercedes will still be the brand for me.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:35 AM

2013 GLK350
I had this happen to the driver's side in my 2013. Didn't want to pay what was quoted and while I was looking to grab the OEM cover and install it myself, I stumbled across a seat cover on Amazon. It's been holding up pretty well.

Amazon Amazon

They make them for the back as well.

Last edited by fathergoose; 06-24-2021 at 10:41 AM.
okgolti (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 05:22 PM

300D Turbo 1984
I like what you found and I think I will buy a pair of this to install when i decide to sell my 2011 E350.
Travelness (12-20-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 07:08 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 GLK 250
Originally Posted by fathergoose
I had this happen to the driver's side in my 2013. Didn't want to pay what was quoted and while I was looking to grab the OEM cover and install it myself, I stumbled across a seat cover on Amazon. It's been holding up pretty well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They make them for the back as well.
I've used the exact same one for my driver-side seat for years on my X3s, and now on my GLK, to not only to help preserve it, but I adhered some 1/2 inch foam to the underside to add a little more cushion. Works great, and very durable.
Old 06-27-2021, 12:37 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 GLK250
All these seat cover posts make me want to order a another set of custom Wet Okole covers like I had on my last car. They were both comfortable in hot or cold weather and easy to clean.
Old 07-05-2021, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Hugo L.
But that's leather. Granted, it is superior, but it will be obvious...
Obvious if you are looking at both seats closely. But for someone just hopping in the car, they'll never notice. I'm glad I got the leather replacement.
The following 2 users liked this post by slmskrs:
Silver Shadow (07-05-2021), Travelness (12-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLC300
Angry MB-Tex Ripoff

Thanks for the information regarding Richmond, I will place a call to see if they have drivers side lower panel. My 2018 GLC300 developed a small hole from what the local dealer says is normal wear and is not covered under warranty. The Car has 20K miles, is garaged kept and everything else on it is like new. The dealer is asking $1020 to repair it. I reached out MB Regional office in Atlanta and they offered me a 10% discount. This is my first MB and most likely my last one, I can't comprehend how they could expect an owner to have to dish out $1K every 20K miles to replace worn out seats. When I purchased the car they encouraged me to go with the MBTex which was suppose to be better to maintain and more durable than the leather.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cracking MB-Tex