GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Radio / Entertainment System Not Working Or No Sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 04:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
00 ML55 AMG
Radio / Entertainment System Not Working Or No Sound

The issue is with a 2011 GLK350. Out of the blue a few months back the radio stopped producing sound. Happened 20 minutes in to a 7 hour drive and wouldn't come back on no matter how many times we reset it. The next morning I started it up and everything worked perfectly. worked the whole way home and was fine for a few weeks. This time it stopped and didn't start again for a few days. Then came back on again and lasted a few weeks again then off.
So I scanned the vehicle and these are the codes that were on. Some codes may be from the blower motor which is being replaced this week. The scanner I used was the Autel MD802
U103812 - stored
B222500 - not checked fault
D017 - stored
D016 - stored
917807 - stored + current
910B15 - stored + current
9D90 - stored
1614 - stored
B21A211 - stored
953D - stored

I am still new to this scanner, but when I copied all of these down I also reset everything and was going to scan it again in a day or so. At the time of the scan the radio was working.

More details on what happens... The radio starts like normal, screen is lit and all the functions seem to work. But no audio comes from the speakers. no matter what option you set it to, no audio. Also sometimes when its not working the screen will reset and reboot. When it comes back to working, everything seems to work perfectly.

If anyone can give me any direction with this that would be amazing. I have done quite a bit of reading into this but haven't come up with a solution. Hopefully the codes will steer us in the right direction.

Thanks
Old 11-21-2018, 04:33 PM

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts
GLK250 ML350
Mmr1 is always an ******* to people in here, that just the way he is.

If this happen to me, i will first take off the radio and check with the connections, make sure they are all tide and connect firmly. Then maybe check the fuse? that all i can think of. There are YouTube video online will show u how to take the radio apart.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:27 PM

00 ML55 AMG
Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan
Mmr1 is always an ******* to people in here, that just the way he is.

If this happen to me, i will first take off the radio and check with the connections, make sure they are all tide and connect firmly. Then maybe check the fuse? that all i can think of. There are YouTube video online will show u how to take the radio apart.
Thanks for the reply. I just realized I double posted this thread. When I reposted it, I checked and it for sure was not anywhere to be found but I guess it showed up haha but I suppose this thread will be better to use.

I have done a ton of reading on this but don't know where to start. I was hoping the codes would point me in a direction but they haven't yet. I'm thinking of ordering one of those fibre optic loops and trying to bypass each module in the loop one by one to figure it out but I don't even know where to start with that honestly. I've done a ton of work on many mercedes and vw's but this is the first time I've come across the fibre loop for audio.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:31 PM

00 ML55 AMG
Does anyone know if it is possible to search the fault code in wis and it will bring up all the documents that have something to do with it? I've spent a few hours over the last couple days searching but haven't had any luck yet... I would really like to get this radio figured out this weekend as it stopped working again and hasnt come back on.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
328i
I have a somewhat similar problem, yet different and could use some advice.

Hello all. I have a 2004 ML500. Not long ago the sound just stopped happening. The radio unit in the dash seems fine, as do all of the fuses, links, etc. So I bought a replacement amp online and swapped out the original factory Bose amp for the one I bought. And low and behold, the sound started working again and all was well in my world. For about a week. And then again, the sound just stopped again one day. So I'm thinking that I maybe have a loose connection somewhere (although the sound doesn't seem to ever come back...) or something is killing my amp(s)... I'm just not sure how to next proceed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:01 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
This is a software problem. You need to reboot the system, and that its why it worked after you let it sit all night. To have the software reboot you need to let the system sit without power for at least 5 to 10 minutes. This mean you need to turn off the car and exit it or sit in it without opening a door. After a little more than 5 minutes the capacitors in the power supply will have lost their charge and the system will do a cold reboot when restarted. Believe it or not, the audio system actually starts when you open a door, and that is why you must leave the doors closed for 5 or so minutes after turning off the car.
The cure is to get a new software package, since yours has a glitch. How you do that? I don't know. My 2010 would do this every 6 or 7 months and I would stop, get a doughnut and coffee and wait the 10 minutes for reset. My 2014, does not have this problem. It actually happened in the 2010 at a dealer, but he was so slow getting it into service that it had reset, and they could not find the problem.
Good luck
Old 10-08-2019, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
328i
Question about attempting to reboot the system

Thanks for the response, Bob. So just for my clarification... When you say that I need to exit the vehicle or sit in it without opening the door, by that, do you meann that, for example, if I had a window open, turned off the vehicle and went out the window but left the door closed rather than stayed sitting in the vehicle, I'd accomplish what you're suggesting? In other words, I need to turn the vehicle off and wait some short period of time and DON'T OPEN THE DOOR during that period of time? I think that's what you mean but I wasn't quite sure. Easy enough to try either way. Although to clarify my initial problem, the two times that my sound has died, the first time it only recovered after I replaced the amplifier and the second time, well, it hasn't recovered. I haven't swapped amps either, though. But I'll try your suggestion, and thanks again.