GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2014 GLK no start after replacing starter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
Cool 2014 GLK no start after replacing starter

Can anyone assist me in determining if this vehicle has a programmed theft deterrent such as an immobolizer? I replaced a bad starter and now the vehicle has no sound when pressing the start button. Bench tested OK, power to the starter. No power to the solenoid lead when pressing the button. Battery is OK.
I am wondering if it goes into a lockout mode when the battery is disconnected? I would appreciate any help! Thank you.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,850 Likes on 3,033 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Welcome! Please post a photo of the GLK.

How do you know the battery is good?

Try the search button on this site. This issue has come up before and bad battery is the most common cause.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 717 Likes on 698 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to X204 forum...
Old 10-02-2019, 06:32 PM

GLK
Originally Posted by chassis
Welcome! Please post a photo of the GLK.

How do you know the battery is good?

Try the search button on this site. This issue has come up before and bad battery is the most common cause.
Battery is good because I gave it a load and voltage test.
The key to this is the solenoid lead is not getting voltage when the start button is pressed. That is why I am thinking there may be an inhibitor or immobilzer when the battery is disconnected and reconnected. The starter button passes ohm and conductivity tests, dashboard lights up normally.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 217 Likes on 199 Posts
2013 glk 350
There is a second battery in back for the Stop Start system. I have no idea if this is relevant to your problem.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:35 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2013 GLK 350 4Matic
Originally Posted by skywalkercji
Battery is good because I gave it a load and voltage test.
The key to this is the solenoid lead is not getting voltage when the start button is pressed. That is why I am thinking there may be an inhibitor or immobilzer when the battery is disconnected and reconnected. The starter button passes ohm and conductivity tests, dashboard lights up normally.
Power to operate the starter comes from a relay in the front SAM. There is at least one fuse that's located close to the battery that protects the starter. I'd check that big fuse and make sure it's not blown. You should be able to follow the main power lead from the starter back to the battery fuse. On my GLK, the fuse is located under the red cover on the positive battery terminal. If you don't have juice at the main solenoid lead, that fuse is the only thing in between the battery and the solenoid. Any security stuff would usually be looped in before the SAM signal is sent to operate the solenoid.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:48 PM

GLK
Thanks ZZ -

I will check it out today. Appreciate the information.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:06 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Believe it or not, some rebuilt starters don't work right out of the box. Do you hear a click from the starter? If yes starter is bad, if no fuse or relay is bad, assuming you are using the correct key. If you have keyless start, try removing the start button and use the key directly into the dash.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:39 AM

GLK
Originally Posted by bop11
Believe it or not, some rebuilt starters don't work right out of the box. Do you hear a click from the starter? If yes starter is bad, if no fuse or relay is bad, assuming you are using the correct key. If you have keyless start, try removing the start button and use the key directly into the dash.
Thank you BOP11 great suggestions. Will try that. I did not know you can remove the start/stop button and use the key.