GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

fed up with 250 DEF/sensor issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 glk 250
fed up with 250 DEF/sensor issues

I’m fed up with my 2015 glk 250 Nox sensor issues. I’ve followed the threads about it in here and seeing so many of us have issues wondering what permanent resolution options I have.

-I am original owner of us spec 2015 glk 250 with about 22000 miles, well maintained and I’ve had zero other issues

-Early 2017 at about 12000 miles had first “10 starts remaining” issue despite full DEF. took 3 trips to dealership until they finally “fixed it” by replacing Nox sensor.

-Took me 6 months of constant nagging to get MBUSA to reimburse me for faulty Nox sensor.

-About two weeks ago again “10 starts remaining” warning again, full tank of DEF. Take it to dealer (different one since I moved) and again they blame the Nox sensor and replace for another bill of $1000. I’m still in discussion with dealer that this should be covered under warranty.

-Currently on two week road trip and the “10 starts remaining” shows up again. So now I have to change my travel plans and juggle a way to get home within my remaining starts.

I’m sick and completely fed up with this. I absolutely love this car, but cannot have an unpredictable ticking time bomb to drive.

Have any of you figured out or MBUSA offered any permanent resolution to this problem? I don’t want to say goodbye to this car, but I’m feeling like I’m at that point.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:36 PM

Received 133 Likes on 88 Posts
GLK250 ML350
dpf delete is the only way to fix thd emissions bs.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:17 AM

2015 glk 250
Originally Posted by GLK Super Fan
dpf delete is the only way to fix thd emissions bs.
but wouldn’t that make it impossible to pass emissions testing?
Old 11-24-2018, 09:25 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by Tandb

but wouldn’t that make it impossible to pass emissions testing?
I am sure it would and it is also illegal. I can see those with very early Bluetecs have the delete done especially in places where there is no emission testing. However, no way that should be necessary on a 2015 model. Once done, can't imagine what a dealer would say if you needed to take car to them for other issues.
Maybe it is still possible to get an extended warranty. Either from MB dealer or 3rd party? But read the fine print as to what is covered. In Canada, the MBCanada extended warranty (2 years beyond the full Mercedes warranty plus one year on power train) has limitations. For the first 2 years, it covers the Adblue system but not other emission parts. The 8yr federal emission warranty covers the DPF, catalysts, computer and the dash display. (I guess so you can read the expected CE messages!) Sensors are not mentioned. But may sometimes be covered under Goodwill, depending on how loyal a customer you are!
The following users liked this post:
Joe77 (12-28-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 11:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E320 CDI (sold); 2007 R320 CDI (sold); 2008 ML320 CDI; 2014 ML350 Bluetec
I’m fed up with my 2015 glk 250 Nox sensor issues. I’ve followed the threads about it in here and seeing so many of us have issues wondering what permanent resolution options I have.

-I am original owner of us spec 2015 glk 250 with about 22000 miles, well maintained and I’ve had zero other issues

-Early 2017 at about 12000 miles had first “10 starts remaining” issue despite full DEF. took 3 trips to dealership until they finally “fixed it” by replacing Nox sensor.

-Took me 6 months of constant nagging to get MBUSA to reimburse me for faulty Nox sensor.

-About two weeks ago again “10 starts remaining” warning again, full tank of DEF. Take it to dealer (different one since I moved) and again they blame the Nox sensor and replace for another bill of $1000. I’m still in discussion with dealer that this should be covered under warranty.

-Currently on two week road trip and the “10 starts remaining” shows up again. So now I have to change my travel plans and juggle a way to get home within my remaining starts.

I’m sick and completely fed up with this. I absolutely love this car, but cannot have an unpredictable ticking time bomb to drive.

Have any of you figured out or MBUSA offered any permanent resolution to this problem? I don’t want to say goodbye to this car, but I’m feeling like I’m at that point.
I got same message today and I know it is Nox sensor - planning to replace it early next week (in USA, 300 USD vs 836 CAD + 13 % tax in Canada - I bought one in USA). Did you figure out where is problem with Nox sensor?

I am second owner of car (current 40,000 miles) and I have noticed that oxygen sensor was changed twice (not sure if same one) and once temperature sensor. Now, NoX sensor ...I assume once I replace all sensors, the newer version of sensors would correct problems.

Could you please let me know what it was issue and how did you resolve it? Somebody on forum mentioned that NoX should be changed in pairs and it seems it is true. The good news is that only 2 Nox sensors present

Alex
Old 11-30-2018, 12:55 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
14 GLK 250
Originally Posted by zemun1234
I got same message today and I know it is Nox sensor - planning to replace it early next week (in USA, 300 USD vs 836 CAD + 13 % tax in Canada - I bought one in USA). Did you figure out where is problem with Nox sensor?

I am second owner of car (current 40,000 miles) and I have noticed that oxygen sensor was changed twice (not sure if same one) and once temperature sensor. Now, NoX sensor ...I assume once I replace all sensors, the newer version of sensors would correct problems.

Could you please let me know what it was issue and how did you resolve it? Somebody on forum mentioned that NoX should be changed in pairs and it seems it is true. The good news is that only 2 Nox sensors present

Alex
How did you confirm its the Nox sensor? That adblue message can mean a huge variety of things in the emission system. Even a loose fuel clip on the fuel filter. Did you have the car scanned at Mercedes or by Icarsoft or "Carly for mercedes app". Those are the only ways to read the proper codes on the car. Small shops cant do it. They just get the Nox code even though its something different emissions related.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 273 Likes on 231 Posts
GLK 250
It's most likely the AdBlue tank temp sensor which is housed in the tank itself. Unless you get a MB specific code reader, NOx sensor codes will likely be the only codes you'll see.

The temp sensors most often cause the repeat issues, even when NOx sensors are replaced which is why folks get frustrated with their GLKs and their MB service stealerships.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:30 PM

GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by andreigbs
It's most likely the AdBlue tank temp sensor which is housed in the tank itself. Unless you get a MB specific code reader, NOx sensor codes will likely be the only codes you'll see.

The temp sensors most often cause the repeat issues, even when NOx sensors are replaced which is why folks get frustrated with their GLKs and their MB service stealerships.
Does fixing an Adblue temp sensor require change out of complete tank? Not an inexpensive job.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:07 AM

2015 glk 250
The situation just gets worse. My car is at the Mercedes dealer and they cannot diagnose the problem. They cannot find anything wrong yet the error message persists. They had Daimler in Berlin look at it and they had the same result. So I have a car that works perfectly that cannot be driven because of this error message disabling it.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:22 AM

GLK250 2014
The situation just gets worse. My car is at the Mercedes dealer and they cannot diagnose the problem. They cannot find anything wrong yet the error message persists. They had Daimler in Berlin look at it and they had the same result. So I have a car that works perfectly that cannot be driven because of this error message disabling it.
I sounds as if the information the on-board computer is receiving is different from the info the MB diagnostic computer gets. That said, it could be something as simple as a bad connection in the car's wiring. When our old desktop computers stopped working, sometimes just unplugging a component and re-inserting it would cure the problem. This happened to us with a smart car we owned. Dealer changed out a series of components without success, but finally it turned out to be just the harness connector to the ecu that was faulty. Their Star Diagnostics did not pinpoint this problem.

Good Luck with it. I never ever had a problem with our 250 (now traded), but can understand your frustration.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Originally Posted by 107123210
Does fixing an Adblue temp sensor require change out of complete tank? Not an inexpensive job.
I don't think it requires changing the tank out, but it would probably require removing the tank so you can gain access in there. The labor is what you're really paying for at the stealership, but it can be done by the careful DIYer. It shouldn't be necessary though, which is a different discussion.

OP: Good luck with the troubleshooting, hopefully ze Germans can figure it out. Oftentimes faulty wiring or loose connections somewhere may be enough to trip up the system. Keep us posted on how it goes.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:26 PM

2015 glk 250
I had the same issue. The 2015 GLK 250 has only 51000 km. "10 starts remaining". My mechanic tried to erase the fault. Even the scanner showed fault erased ("Already erased" if we tried again), didn't clear the message. The dealer had to replace the 2 NOX sensors for $ 1800 CAD + tax. I hope MB Canada going to reimburse it. My warranty just expired. Do they cover this issue in the extended warranty?
Do we have any better way to solve this issue ?
Zemun1234; can you send me (US) the garage info please?
South Ontario Canada

Last edited by Joe77; 12-28-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:41 PM

GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by Joe77
I hope MB Canada going to reimburse it. My warranty just expired. Do they cover this issue in the extended warranty?
You should have a copy of the detailed Extended Warranty agreement. If not, ask your dealer for a copy. You will find that the only emissions items specifically mentioned are those that are part of the Adblue system. However, there is an Electrical section. It says it covers sensors and switches. My dealer said that the NOX sensors would be covered under that section. I don't think he was technically right, but because of the many problems, it seemed that MBCanada might cover them if your dealer works on your behalf and contacts the regional service manager.. The emissions warranty will cover catalysts, the DPF, the instrument cluster and the ECU for 8 years.
I solved the problem by trading the GLK on a less expensive car. Cost me what I might have spent on GLK repairs over next 5 years, but less stressful!
Joe77 (12-29-2018)
Old 01-16-2019, 02:32 AM

2015 glk 250
So it just continues. They still cannot fix the car. According to MBUSA and dealers engineers in us and Berlin are consulting but it sounds like they are just yelling out random parts to replace hoping something works. Dealer said currently they have spent €2300 on trying to fix it unsuccessfully and that MBUSA wants them to try replacing the control units which is expected to be at least €1800 more.

My car car has been in the dealership 5-6 times and for about 3-4 months (not consecutively) for this same error message. Only has 23000 miles on it. I feel like this is easily qualifies as a “lemon” but has anyone had experience pursuing this?
Old 01-16-2019, 12:10 PM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 GLK350
After 3 trips to the dealer with 18k miles on my 250 for the same thing and them keeping it for at least a week each time I traded it for a 350. I still don't know if they ever fixed it.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:44 PM

2013 GLK250
Bumping this thread in 2020. I have both an Adblue "remaining starts" and a CEL (I believe these are related?). The codes I pulled up with my Carsoft x431 Pro shows P13E300 & P13DF00.
Has anyone had these two codes with the Adblue message? Is this typical for a n0x sensor?
Since there's 1 upstream 02 sensor and 2 downstream n0x sensors can any one comment on what sensor was replaced for their issue?

I pulled all three out and the down stream (post DPF) are perfectly clean as one would expect. The upstream 02 sensor in the downpipe was carboned up but the sensing element looked pretty good inside. I cleaned with Carb cleaner and have since reinstalled. I have 4-restarts left. Tonight I'll attempt doing a long drive to see if the code clears and then a DPF regen. After these don't work, I might take the shameful drive to a different dealer.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
I would look into the iCarsoft MB scanner, which will allow you to force regens when needed.

As for AdBlue issues, make sure your tank is full of DEF if you haven’t yet. Your scanner should reset the codes and a long highway drive might be in order.

As a last resort, you could always contact a tuner and get your software “updated” to delete AdBlue.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:19 PM

2013 GLK250
Thanks for your reply. I live in California currently so I wonder if I would be able to delete the Adblue without an issue. As long as it doesn't throw a code or a deep "P" code in this sense I think it would be okay.

I forgot to disconnect the Bluetooth OBD module and it killed my battery. Just charged it up this week and will be installing it soon for a LONG highway drive. Any idea if there's a speed, distance or stop requirement for the monitor to run OR the adblue level?

I got a MBII scanner but I had to return it as it would identify my vin but would not read any codes when I connected it. Such a shame as it's cheaper and small.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Look up OETuning, they’re a Cali based
company. I’m running their performance + AdBlue delete tune. The car runs flawlessly and I’m very pleased.

For the highway run, find a good open stretch where you can cruise 75-80. Higher is better. Our Moose loves to run. Going on 120k mikes and runs like a champ.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:32 PM

2013 GLK250
Andreigbs,

Do you pass smog? I think the Adblue bypass will fail but I could certainly be wrong.

On another note. I drove and monitored a lot of data. All three Adblue heaters pull current, all three fluid levels are immersed (I also re-calibrated full), and I can manually activate the pump. However, when running a full log on a highway drive 10 miles north and south I did not get any % for Adblue consumption/injection. I can only assume though this is due to the hard fault of the ECU/CDI.

I'm almost thinking it's the pesky upset N0x sensors. Does anyone know the updated part numbers? I found the upstream 02 sensor in the downpipe and the N0x sensor just below the passenger seat but I cannot find a new "soot" sensor that's located just below the drivers passenger rear seat (last sensor in the exhaust system. I believe there is updated numbers as everyone has complained in other threads.

Does anyone have an invoice from a repair to look at the numbers?
Old 01-25-2020, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
No smog or emissions test where I live, and my scanner tells me no emissions faults, so I think it would pass if tested. You could ask the OETuning guys to make sure though.

I’m not sure how cold it gets where you live, but if below freezing, it may be that the AdBlue tank heater is starting to act up. I know mine failed, hence the delete.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:37 PM

2013 GLK250
Yeah. I tested all 3 heaters the Adblue system has. There's one in the fluid, one ON the tank and one ON the line. All three pull current so that means there's no open and they're working. As I also stated, the 3 level sensors are immersed and I re calibrated them just to be sure. The whole Adblue system is okay.

I did a lot of parts diagram research and think I can help people here. If all the Adblue items are checked out and you have the start prompt there's only exhaust system components left. The DPF will throw it's own code (so you can remove that from the list). I "think" it will come down to the 02 sensor in the engine bay (in the downpipe), the upstream N0x sensor (the first N0x) (A0009053403) just below the front passenger door, OR there are two sensors in the middle of the cars exhaust system downstream. The one on the drivers side is the SOOT sensor; it has an updated part number A0009053504 (old PN is (A0009058402). I think this is actually my problem. The one directly on the other side of it, on the passenger side is the downstream N0x sensor (the second N0x). It has the same part number as the upstream N0x sensor (A0009053403).

In short, here's your shopping list.

You will need 2x A0009053403 N0x sensors and 1x A0009053504 SOOT sensor.

02 sensors rarely go bad but you can upgrade this with a new one if you want to be sure (A0075421618) the over the counter Bosch part number is 17107.

I've cleaned all of my sensors being an old GM technician knowing how with carb cleaner so I might try to do a re-calibration of these and see if they clear the monitors. If not, I'll be doing the shopping list above.

I figured I would share all of this since this forum doesn't really have any clear documentation. People seem to go to the dealership under warranty and never report back or get raped and never report.
air1mtt (06-13-2023)
Old 01-25-2020, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
Thanks for the extensive research, the troubleshooting should pay off. Those NOx sensors sure are pricey.

Looking forward to hearing that you got your issue resolved.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:03 PM

2013 GLK250
Thanks. The only question I have is now if I should clear the codes and re-calibrate, re-calibrate and clear the codes OR just re-calibrate and try to get the monitors to clear the codes?

I have 4-starts left so I might have a beer and think it through. I figure I might go for a nice long highway drive at 10pm so I can be at highway speeds for a long time.

Does anyone know how the MB monitors run to clear N0x sensors for duty?
Old 01-28-2020, 01:12 PM

2013 GLK250
Well, my car was broken into Friday night and my $2K scan tool, all of my tools and other misc items were stolen. Kind of put a damper on my plans until I buy another scanner and tools...

Here's some good reading though to help you understand the monitoring of the NOx readings... https://www.mechanic.com.au/news/blu...rol-technology

Pretty much, there should be a 50%-30% reduction in NOx readings for a functioning AdBlue system AND functioning upstream/downstream NOx sensors.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: fed up with 250 DEF/sensor issues