GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Cold Weather Transmission Won't Engage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 250 BlueTec
Cold Weather Transmission Won't Engage

Greetings, wife purchased a used 2014 GLK-250 BlueTec about 6 months ago, great little car. She picked up a screw in a tire, so we took it to tire dealer to repair/replace. They inadvertently didn't call and tell us it was ready, so it got parked outside overnight in minus 2 degree F temps. When we arrived to pick it up, it wouldn't start without being jumped (it's winterized, but wasn't plugged up)--and when it started, it would not shift into gear even after letting it warm up for 20 minutes (of course, the instrument cluster was lit up like a Christmas tree--it is the season, after all!!). We plugged it up and left it overnight, and picked it up in the morning--started fine, and shifted into gear immediately. The tire shop folks told us this is a common problem with electronic shift vehicles. The CEL came on and has stayed on, I'll get a scanner and check for codes, but would appreciate any insights others can offer. Is this simply cold weather related, or perhaps something else?
Old 12-20-2018, 04:14 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
14 GLK 250
Sounds like battery was dead. Now why was it dead? Battery weak? Loose connection? They left it open for too long? (similar thing happened to me when I did a transmission oil on my c300, drained the battery in the 3-4 hours I was working on it)
Hopefully they just let it die and you good to go once you charge it up.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts
GLK 250
Agreed, sounds like the symptoms of a 4+ year old battery combined with frigid temps. I'd be curious what codes you pull.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 250 BlueTec
Pulled down a P007B and a P200A off OBD II. Wasn't smart enough to realize my computer has a special section for Benz, can actually drill down to the GLK250. I cleared the codes, we'll see if they come back.