GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2014 GLK 350, Base model, Transmission Service questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 02:01 PM

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 GLC 4Matic
2014 GLK 350, Base model, Transmission Service questions...

Hello All,
I performed the ATF, Filter, etc service on my 2014 GLK 350, Base model. I first pored over this Forum and read all related posts, threads, etc.(Thanks to Jonand, Johnny C and others).
All in all it went pretty well for a non lift, home garage job(ramps/stands/floor jack). However... Try as I might I was unable to remove the Torque Converter drain plug. I removed the rubber inspection cover located at "4 o'clock looking forward" as well as ultimately dropping the "pump" located at "6 o'clock looking forward. No dice. The plug was not budging, I did not have a long, ratchet mounted Allen wrench, but I was able to get good purchase with my 90º, I levered it up but was reluctant to force the screw to the point of breaking either the wrench or stripping out the head. I did not have safe heat source(Soldering Iron?) for the close, oil related space, so... Am I missing something? Tips?
On the the other hand at 60,000 mile the fluid was indistinguishable from the new Pentosin in color, smell or consistency. No shavings or "fur" on the magnets. Also, it did retain essentially the same amount of fluid after "burping" the Transmission(4 3/4 liters out, 4 3/4 liters retained)
The new Harbor Freight "Laser" thermometer worked well.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:36 AM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
2012 GLK
the drain can be tricky. I think we may have used a ball ended allen. You did the rest of the service already I wouldnt sweat it. Next time just build up your tool arsenal to reach the TQ drain plug. You prob got about half the fluid changed, which is better than nothing.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:09 AM

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 GLC 4Matic
Thanks B737,
I agree. I used my ball end Allen but the purchase was sketchy and I was not willing to force it. I think the well heated soldering Iron, applied directly, will persuade it. Given the Excellent driving results and the lack of any evidence of degradation in the old fluid, etc. I feel pretty confident about the next 60,00 miles.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:18 AM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
2012 GLK
oh missed that you tried a ball end... i think a long skinny one will do too, 6". we've done 3 of them so far, its not confidence inspiring getting the drain plug started but it'll come. localized heat isnt a bad idea