GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Another good reason to do your own service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 10:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 GLK350
Another good reason to do your own service

As we all know, in addition to saving money, doing your own service is also satisfying, AND you know the job is done right.

Case in point, I did the transmission fluid service yesterday at 120,000. The last two times (at 80K and 40K) the service was done at the local dealer.

Here's what I saw when I dropped the pan, notice anything wrong?:

Another good reason to do your own service-wpveki0l.jpg

So yes, the "professionally trained techs" at my dealerships forgot to put the magnets back in at the previous service. I guess that should not surprise me too much, since that's the same crew that forgot to fully seat the axle during the transfer case work, forcing four return trips.

So there went my Saturday, having to change clothes and make the trek to the dealership for the magnets. The good news was that there was no one at the parts counter, even though the service area was full of people waiting (I think people who do their own MB service are the exception to the rule), the dounts were OK, and the McLaren was badass.

Another good reason to do your own service-uwtskerl.jpg

Another good reason to do your own service-gyq3094l.jpg

Best of all, I know that the job was done right this time:

Another good reason to do your own service-rsdrv6bl.jpg
Old 04-14-2019, 01:30 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
14 GLK 250
Well i always say, we care about our cars. The techs don't. Not their vehicles, or they are new, or rushing, or thinking about the weekend, etc. best to do it right yourself if you have the time and knowledge.