Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glk250 bluetec diesel
GLK250 diesel white ammonia smoke coming form exhaust

HELp !!
I bought a used 2014 GLK250 last year.
2.0 liters twin turbocharged odo 79000mi.

After driving for about 7000 mi, the check engine light was on. Only the light came out, no actual symptom.
( I ignored it since I was too busy)
I drive it less often due to the check engine light still on.

2 months since the CHECK ENGINE light came out, I drove it on the freeway. I was driving at around 50 mph, the huge amount of white smoke cane from the exhaust. I pulled over to the roadside, and I found that smoke has strong smell of ammonia.( kind of smell of DEF adblue)

I took it in Mercedes dealership to diagnose what the problem is. On the report they didn’t mentioned any about what the problem actually is. But just asked me to pay for over $5000 to replace the DEF injector, Pre-heater in the DEF tank, NoX sensor. (Too expensive for me)

Then I brought it in a repair shop owned by a Mercedes Professional Technician.
The technician did couple diagnoses and changed the soot sensor.( cost $700) After he replaced the soot sensor, the two of the three faulty code disappeared, but the other two remain the same. (Faulty on temperature sensor and level sensor of pre heater still exist )
And the problem of white smelly smoke coming out from exhaust wasn’t solved.

Did anyone have the same problem as mine?
How did you solve that?
Mine is out of warranty so I have to pay for any expense of repairing.
The following users liked this post:
Tito B (03-04-2020)
Old 06-27-2019, 09:42 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
It was my understanding that Mercedes came with an 8 year 80k federal emissions control warranty. true or false?
Old 06-27-2019, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glk250 bluetec diesel
yeah i think so. I’ve found this link regarding to emission warranty.

Originally Posted by bugelrex
It was my understanding that Mercedes came with an 8 year 80k federal emissions control warranty. true or false?
Heres the link
https://www.epa.gov/transportation-a...sportation-air

Unfortunately, mine is already over 80k mi.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:54 AM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 GLK350
I'm sorry that I can't help you. You may be able to find an aftermarket def heater. The last guy with your symptoms replaced the injector pump and it didn't fix the problem, but we have not heard back if he finally resolved the issue. I would try replacing the nox sensor myself.

Problems like this make me happy that I bailed on the diesel when it had chronic DPF issues at 18k miles.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts
GLK 250
I'm almost tempted to say that if you can drive it around without loss of power and just SOME smoke on throttle, you may be better off waiting it out. With the recall of the GLK Bluetecs in Germany, it's only a matter of time before MB-USA will have to deal with it here, at which point they will have to eat the repair/replacement cost. Even if you correctly diagnose and replace the offending part(s), chances are slim that MB will reimburse you later.

Having given in to that temptation, I would also consider a software tune that "turns off" the exhaust aftertreatment devices. This would be cheaper than trying to fix it all on your own and can be undone if/when MB issues a recall in the U.S.

Basically, I'm saying nurse it while you can or turn off those systems until the recall takes effect here. Repairs of any kind (sensors, AdBlue heater, DEF injector, etc) are going to be expensive and not likely to fix the problem for good.