GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK250 and Star Tool Adaptation Inquiry

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 03:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2012 E350, 2014 GL350
GLK250 and Star Tool Adaptation Inquiry

My independent MB Repair Facility is telling me that he need to use the Star Tool to perform Adaptation under the following circumstances;

1 . Changing the Engine Air Filter
2. Remove and replace the driver side Air Charging Hose from the Intercooler (Being replaced due to a crack in the hose. As a temporary measure I used epoxy and duck tape and the CEL and all codes cleared)
3. Transmission filter and fluid change

My car is a 2014 GLK250.

I'm getting the feeling their use of the Star Tool for these types of repair and normal maintenance is inflating the bill unnecessarily. Are these 'adaptations' really necessary? Your thoughts please. And thanks for responding.

Dan C aka dofdear
Old 07-10-2019, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts
GLK 250
The MB Star tool (or any good quality scan tool) is needed to reset the ECU if there were codes stored for the underboost situation, due to the charge air hose leaking the boost. Even without resetting the code manually, once the hose is replaced, the ECU should re-learn what's going on with the boost (ie, it's fixed) and the car will run just fine. Erasing the codes is good practice anyway, clearing the slate.

You don't need it in order to replace the engine air filter.

You technically don't need it for the tranny flush, fill & filter. It makes it easier perhaps, but draining the fluid and replacing the filter is largely a hands-on tech-free job. I'd be more interested in knowing if they'll drain the torque converter as well, since that's usually skipped.

Bottom line: the scan tool can help with maintenance and repairs that are ECU-related, especially if there are codes stored that need clearing. You don't need the tool to accomplish the above tasks.

Could you post what they're charging for each job?
Old 07-10-2019, 04:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2012 E350, 2014 GL350
The labor quoted for each is as follows:
Sch B = $248
Trans Filter and Fluid = $216
Diff Service Front = $68
Diff Service Rear = $68
R&R Drivers Charge Hose = $208

All plus parts. Based on your response I'll change the hose myself and use my Foxwell scan tool to reset codes. Sounds like adaptation not required...'Thanks,

Dan C aka dofdear
Old 07-10-2019, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts
GLK 250
If it were me, I’d do the oil change and air filter myself, along with the charge air hose. Fuel filter too, if it’s due.

I’d only have them do the “dirty” work of the tranny fluids and diffs.