GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK 250 ECU Update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 06:25 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 C320
Well stated. I don't disagree with anything you have said however when the car belongs to your daughter it's a different set of dynamics. The fear is the unknown. I just can't make myself talk her into keeping it. I love the car. I actually feel like I'm giving a pet away rather than trading a car. I'm appreciative of everyone's feedback but I'm afraid the GLK is moving on to another driveway.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:50 PM

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts
GLC300 (mine) GLK250 (wife's)
Hard to dispute the logic srb. However, Andreigbs' cogent post neatly summarizes my own thoughts and my wife just LOVES her little car (she previously was the inverse of a "car person"). But I'm determined not to get dragged onto the GLK roller coaster ride. If/when the CEL comes back the car goes straight to OETuning. If any potentially serious problems rear up post-tune, the car gets a new home without hesitation. Canada's assumed settlement should theoretically be similar to the one in the US but maybe 2 or 3 years away so it becomes a minimal issue.

After 5 years of following GLK forums it seems that owning a BlueTEC is a bit like playing Russian roulette, the difference being that Russian roulette is over quickly when you lose.

Last edited by karmikan; 09-15-2020 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:55 PM

2003 C320
My problem was I couldn't find a tuner willing to do what I wanted. I didn't want hp or torque increases. All I wanted was efficient operation as designed. No one was willing to help me. I was told flat no. That left me without options. It's a sad day when it leaves but a mental relief.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 273 Likes on 231 Posts
GLK 250
@karmikan, seeing as how you're in Toronto, you may want to check out this thread (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...-disabled.html) for a local tuning solution. It involves surgery to the car which sort of makes the change permanent, but in return you don't have to ever worry about the troublesome exhaust system. Or you could just wait it out until MB fixes it and pays you for your trouble.

@Srb1194, I understand your reasoning and have nothing but respect for your course of action. I'm sure things would be different had the little truckster been your car, since you could fiddle with it to your heart's content. But for your family (wife or daughter) who may not be so inclined, we want reliability and safety above all. If you do let the GLK go we hope you stick around the forums.

All the best, gents.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by andreigbs
@karmikan, seeing as how you're in Toronto, you may want to check out this thread (https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...-disabled.html) for a local tuning solution. It involves surgery to the car which sort of makes the change permanent, but in return you don't have to ever worry about the troublesome exhaust system. Or you could just wait it out until MB fixes it and pays you for your trouble..
Thanks, I remember seeing parts of this thread and similar ones a while back. Not at all keen on radical surgery, particularly if a reversible software flash can do what I need. As mentioned earlier, I'm not going to chase shadows with this. If the CEL comes on again it's off to OETuning. While I'm there I'll probably ask them to check if the problem is the Soot Particulate Sensor which is now covered under a new 10 yr warranty. I'll let MB fix it then go back to OE for a tune.

It's been about 9 days since I cleared the code and wifey drove a round trip of 90 mi today, still no CEL....
Old 09-16-2020, 04:35 PM

2003 C320
I hope your fortune continues. Once I passed 220 miles I thought I was safe. Please keep us posted.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:13 PM

I certainly will post updates. Just checked and it's actually 13 days since I cleared the codes (time flies when you're having fun). I'm fully expecting the CEL to return, if it doesn't it will be like winning the lottery.

The best of luck with the new vehicle, interested to learn what you get.