GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK 250 NOT using any DEF

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 02:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 GLK 250
GLK 250 NOT using any DEF

My daughter's GLK 250 has the check engine light on. Mechanic checked it and the DPF does not seem to be regenerating. When I serviced it I noticed it wasn't using fluid. Have had it over a year and the same tank of DEF is in the car.

Any ideas?
Old 10-26-2020, 02:52 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
14 GLK 250
Originally Posted by smcnair
My daughter's GLK 250 has the check engine light on. Mechanic checked it and the DPF does not seem to be regenerating. When I serviced it I noticed it wasn't using fluid. Have had it over a year and the same tank of DEF is in the car.

Any ideas?
The DPF regenerating and DEF are completely 2 separate systems. The DPF is the second filter in the system and regenerates with heat every once in a while and traps large particles. The DEF gets injected into the 3rd filter (SCR) to reduce NOx. There are also two sensors that commonly break before and after the third (SCR) filter. Mercedes can fix it for you, will most likely be in the 2K+ range. The DEF injection system can also break that is related to the SCR system. Most on this site will recommend full removal of the system which will run you 2-3K, but you must live somewhere with no emissions regulations.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:54 PM

2013 GLK 250
I think I am going to wait for all the lawsuit / settlement stuff to work itself out and then decide what to do. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:01 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
14 GLK 250
Haha you might be waiting a long time before that settles. In the mean time you mentioned your check engine light came on. Well unfortunately a few days after that you will get a "10 Remaining Starts" message on your dash. You will have 10 starts until the car completely bricks itself. You will have no choice but to take it to a dealer. Good luck. I went through the same a month ago. Ended up removing the system.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:05 AM

2013 GLK 250
Originally Posted by C300fan2
Haha you might be waiting a long time before that settles. In the mean time you mentioned your check engine light came on. Well unfortunately a few days after that you will get a "10 Remaining Starts" message on your dash. You will have 10 starts until the car completely bricks itself. You will have no choice but to take it to a dealer. Good luck. I went through the same a month ago. Ended up removing the system.
Nah, been like that for eight months...
Old 10-27-2020, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 273 Likes on 231 Posts
GLK 250
Best advice is to just wait it out. The MB settlement is nearly approved, there will be a $2500-3000 payout from MB to owners of these Bluetecs along with options, including to fix it and have an extended warranty.

If you want to mess around yourself, you can always hook up a scan tool and pull the actual trouble code(s) from the ECU. Generally, the DEF tank holds enough fluid for a full oil change interval of 10k miles. Some people do that kind of mileage in 6 months, others don't do it in a year. Since it hold 7+ gallons, I wouldn't be surprised it's not empty. Ours didn't require refilling annually either (now it doesn't require it at all )

If you can, read and clear the code(s), see if it comes back. AutoZone will scan it for free and give you a receipt printout with the code(s).
And if you wanted a software solution, there are cheaper options than $2-3k and they don't involve chopping off any hardware. Both of our diesels have been thusly "fixed", no complaints here.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:56 AM

2013 GLK 250
Originally Posted by andreigbs
Best advice is to just wait it out. The MB settlement is nearly approved, there will be a $2500-3000 payout from MB to owners of these Bluetecs along with options, including to fix it and have an extended warranty.

If you want to mess around yourself, you can always hook up a scan tool and pull the actual trouble code(s) from the ECU. Generally, the DEF tank holds enough fluid for a full oil change interval of 10k miles. Some people do that kind of mileage in 6 months, others don't do it in a year. Since it hold 7+ gallons, I wouldn't be surprised it's not empty. Ours didn't require refilling annually either (now it doesn't require it at all )

If you can, read and clear the code(s), see if it comes back. AutoZone will scan it for free and give you a receipt printout with the code(s).
And if you wanted a software solution, there are cheaper options than $2-3k and they don't involve chopping off any hardware. Both of our diesels have been thusly "fixed", no complaints here.
Yeah, I want the option to "fix" the diesel. If you could pass that my way I would appreciate it.