Type of Diesel for GLK 250

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 09:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Glk 250 2015
Type of Diesel for GLK 250

Hi folks,

What is the best type of diesel for a GLK 250?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Chad
Old 03-29-2021, 10:49 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 GLK250, 2022 Tesla MYLR, 1997 Correct Craft Ski Nautique
In the US, all diesel is supposed to be ultra-low Sulphur; at least in California that's all that's available. It's required for emissions. I'd be afraid of trying anything else (bio diesel) that might muck up emissions. California has the most restrictive emissions laws (at least in the US). So I have no choice but to maintain the system so won't put anything in it that might jeopardize it (unless I get notice from MB that something else is okay).
Old 03-29-2021, 11:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Glk 250 2015
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your reply! That makes sense to avoid bio diesel. In Canada they offer normal diesel (low sulphur) and enhanced diesel (higher cetane number, better lubricity and includes detergents that provide injector-cleaning capability). I was wondering if enhanced diesel is worth the extra money and if there are any issues with it not working properly with the GLK. If you have any info on this that would be great.

Have a nice day!

Chad
Old 03-29-2021, 04:28 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 GLK250, 2022 Tesla MYLR, 1997 Correct Craft Ski Nautique
Originally Posted by Chad Everett
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your reply! That makes sense to avoid bio diesel. In Canada they offer normal diesel (low sulphur) and enhanced diesel (higher cetane number, better lubricity and includes detergents that provide injector-cleaning capability). I was wondering if enhanced diesel is worth the extra money and if there are any issues with it not working properly with the GLK. If you have any info on this that would be great.

Have a nice day!

Chad
Lots of Canadians with GLK250s. It will be interesting to hear more about enhanced diesel use in Canada.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 273 Likes on 231 Posts
GLK 250
Enhanced is better if you can find/afford it. Higher cetane means cleaner burn, less emissions, better HPFP lubricity, more power, quieter combustion, you-name-it.

It's not required, but your Bluetec will like it. Maybe once a month "treats" if it costs too much to use regularly.

I would avoid Biodiesel, especially biomass-based, at all costs.

Also, you may consider some fuel supplements. Power Service, Howe's Diesel Treat, Stanadyne, LiquiMoly, and a few others are pretty well regarded by many dieselers.
Old 04-01-2022, 05:14 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 GLK250
I've used B20 biodiesel occasionally, and also use renewable Neste diesel (sold here as 'Propel') regularly with great results. I figure if B20 is good enough fuel for a Peterbilt or a Kenworth, it's good enough for a little Mercedes.

Last edited by Discod; 04-01-2022 at 05:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
100Pyatt (02-12-2024)
Old 04-04-2022, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 273 Likes on 231 Posts
GLK 250
Be aware that MB prohibits the use of anything above B5. Any fuel system related issue that is deemed to arise from "misfueling," according to dealership techs, will mean no warranty on fuel pump, injectors, etc. Ask me how I know. And if you've had the AEM performed, you want to keep that 4yr/48k miles warranty which covers (among many things) the fueling system.

Also, the big rig diesels and small passenger Bluetec engines couldn't be more different. If that's your mentality, I hope you have funds saved up for the rainy days ahead.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
GLK250
This is the products i'm using. Winterizer/cetane 80ml per tank for winter (up to -30c/-22f for four months) and the Power Kleaner 40ml per tank for spring/summer/automn. You also have to take care of where you are buying your fuel, be sure they have a high volume of sale.

Old 04-27-2023, 11:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLK250
sorry to resurrect an old thread, but the issue of compatible fuels has really become an issue in California. MB goes out of their way to say using biodiesel > B5 will void emission warranty, cause problems, and probably make your hair fall out and your children to turn against you :-) Within the last year, major refiners have transitioned to "renewable diesel" and are going to great lengths to differentiate it (R99/R100) from biodiesel (B5, B20, etc.) Retailers have switched to "renewable." I have not found any written confirmation that MB differentiates between renewable diesel and biodiesel. I've contacted MBUSA but their only response was in regard to Biodiesel. The topic of "bio vs renewable" was not addressed.

Has anyone seen an official statement from MB on the topic of "renewable diesel" (not biodiesel)?

100Pyatt (02-12-2024)
Old 04-27-2023, 11:32 PM

2015 GLK250
Originally Posted by tigerdog
Within the last year, major refiners have transitioned to "renewable diesel" and are going to great lengths to differentiate it (R99/R100) from biodiesel (B5, B20, etc.)

Has anyone seen an official statement from MB on the topic of "renewable diesel" (not biodiesel)?
Fuel retailers that sell renewable diesel (R95+) will certify it meets the same ATSM D975 specifications as “conventional” diesel fuel, and is approved for use by all diesel engine manufacturers. It appears there will be no need for manufacturers to independently certify every renewable diesel fuel.
100Pyatt (02-12-2024)
Old 04-27-2023, 11:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLK250
Originally Posted by Discod
Fuel retailers that sell renewable diesel (R95+) will certify it meets the same ATSM D975 specifications as “conventional” diesel fuel, and is approved for use by all diesel engine manufacturers. It appears there will be no need for manufacturers to independently certify every renewable diesel fuel.
I've seen the claims on retail sites (e.g. Arco, 76) and have reached out for a statement to this effect, but have not yet gotten a response from any fuel supplier. Unless somebody puts something in writing, the Bluetec owner could easily get caught in the finger-pointing if the vehicle breaks and MB claims it's fuel-related.
Old 04-27-2023, 11:55 PM

2015 GLK250
Originally Posted by tigerdog
I've seen the claims on retail sites (e.g. Arco, 76) and have reached out for a statement to this effect, but have not yet gotten a response from any fuel supplier. Unless somebody puts something in writing, the Bluetec owner could easily get caught in the finger-pointing if the vehicle breaks and MB claims it's fuel-related.
If a fuel retailer can’t verify that its diesel fuel it sells isn’t actually diesel, they will have some legal problems like the stations that have water contamination or put gasoline in a diesel tank. Retailers may not have to provide consumers their specific chemical formulation for their fuels. Perhaps Mercedes and other manufacturers have not made warning statements about renewable diesel because there are no problems with using it? It’s been around a while, I’ve been using it regularly since about 2016.