GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Another Carplay Question.... With a twist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 02:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 GLK 350
Another Carplay Question.... With a twist

So I recently purchased a 2012 GLK base model only because a higher-spec model I really wanted was sold before I could get to it. The one I bought was still a great buy - black/black, low miles, one owner, clean/detailed history and it presents well. But, being a base model, there's a lot it doesn't have. I'm mostly focused on the lack of a backup camera and wireless music streaming, as my last two cars had these features and now I've become used to them. I have read SO MANY forums on here and other sites, I've watched dozens of YouTube videos, but they all seems to say one of two things - either buy the RoadTop 10.25" screen or buy a CarPlay box and tuck it behind your factory screen, job done.

Here's the problems with both of those solutions, for me personally: I find the 10.25" screen looks tacky. I may be in the minority here, and I definitely can't argue with the functionality of the unit, but it doesn't look right. It certainly doesn't look factory, but it doesn't even look like a bespoke aftermarket unit even though it seems to be tailored to MB specifically.... Just my $0.02 on it. Other issue is the standalone CarPlay box would use your OEM screen, and my car being the base model is the tiny screen. I don't think the CarPlay interface would translate well to such a small screen, plus I'm looking for the aesthetic of a bigger screen anyway.

Where I'm going with this is what other options are actually realistic to solve this problem?
I've researched a few other options and have more details below.
I would appreciate any insight/thoughts/opinions/feedback on these possibilities - I'll take any help I can get!

OPTION ONE - Large touchscreen retrofit (similar to RoadTop but this is only 9" and more square, not such a long rectangle)
This is the same idea as RoadTop, but in a nicer package. Only hesitation I have is I can't find anywhere near as much user testimonial/install info/support or anything really.
And the fact that the only seller I can find is either the manufacturer directly (link below) or I think I maybe saw it on AliExpress, but that's it.
So lot's of "what if's" with this one- maybe it's a great product, or maybe it sucks and that's why I can't find any info on it.
https://www.seicane.com/oem-for-benz...hoCEeQQAvD_BwE

OPTION TWO - aftermarket screen with CarPlay features embedded in it directly, but looks factory
This is an interesting option because it retains the factory head unit just like the RoadTop unit, but the screen fits in the factory spot - it looks like a MB screen at first glance.
That is, until you turn it on..... Out of all the options I have researched, the user interface of this screen seems to be the least sophisticated.
As long as it functions as intended, I could get past the cheesy UI, but I also run into the same issue as with the 9" unit - very little info/testimonial on this product.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/33389093754...id=28#shpCntId

OPTION THREE (and the one I'm MOST interested in) - Buying a OEM screen from a GLK that came with nav from the factory and buying the stand-alone CarPlay box to tuck behind it.
This option is interesting because it would use factory parts for everything visible on the dash; everything you see would be all MB parts, then you flip the screen to CarPlay and it looks like a newer car.
However, I do not know enough about the factory wiring to know if this is actually doable, like if the nav-capable screen would work with my non-nav equipped head unit/wiring.
If I get the nav-capable screen, would it not work at all since my car doesn't have nav from the factory? Would I lose any functionality of my factory system by using the nav-capable screen?
The only thing I use (and infrequently at that) is FM radio - everything else, I would be able to do with CarPlay if it'll work with the nav-capable screen.
Even if the screen only turns on/off, I would be fine with doing everything from CarPlay and nothing on the OEM Coamnd system working, if it came to that.
Only problem is I can't find any NTG 4.0 large screens for sale at the moment. I see plenty of NTG 4.5, but I know the harness is completely different...

So as of right now, I have no clue which direction to go with this dilemma.
I'm open to ideas or suggestions, so please let me know.

And thanks for reading that long-a$$ post and understanding the issue!
The following users liked this post:
One Veronique (11-22-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 09:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK350
Originally Posted by DuvalGLK
So I recently purchased a 2012 GLK base model only because a higher-spec model I really wanted was sold before I could get to it. The one I bought was still a great buy - black/black, low miles, one owner, clean/detailed history and it presents well. But, being a base model, there's a lot it doesn't have. I'm mostly focused on the lack of a backup camera and wireless music streaming, as my last two cars had these features and now I've become used to them. I have read SO MANY forums on here and other sites, I've watched dozens of YouTube videos, but they all seems to say one of two things - either buy the RoadTop 10.25" screen or buy a CarPlay box and tuck it behind your factory screen, job done.

Here's the problems with both of those solutions, for me personally: I find the 10.25" screen looks tacky. I may be in the minority here, and I definitely can't argue with the functionality of the unit, but it doesn't look right. It certainly doesn't look factory, but it doesn't even look like a bespoke aftermarket unit even though it seems to be tailored to MB specifically.... Just my $0.02 on it. Other issue is the standalone CarPlay box would use your OEM screen, and my car being the base model is the tiny screen. I don't think the CarPlay interface would translate well to such a small screen, plus I'm looking for the aesthetic of a bigger screen anyway.

Where I'm going with this is what other options are actually realistic to solve this problem?
I've researched a few other options and have more details below.
I would appreciate any insight/thoughts/opinions/feedback on these possibilities - I'll take any help I can get!

OPTION ONE - Large touchscreen retrofit (similar to RoadTop but this is only 9" and more square, not such a long rectangle)
This is the same idea as RoadTop, but in a nicer package. Only hesitation I have is I can't find anywhere near as much user testimonial/install info/support or anything really.
And the fact that the only seller I can find is either the manufacturer directly (link below) or I think I maybe saw it on AliExpress, but that's it.
So lot's of "what if's" with this one- maybe it's a great product, or maybe it sucks and that's why I can't find any info on it.
https://www.seicane.com/oem-for-benz...hoCEeQQAvD_BwE

OPTION TWO - aftermarket screen with CarPlay features embedded in it directly, but looks factory
This is an interesting option because it retains the factory head unit just like the RoadTop unit, but the screen fits in the factory spot - it looks like a MB screen at first glance.
That is, until you turn it on..... Out of all the options I have researched, the user interface of this screen seems to be the least sophisticated.
As long as it functions as intended, I could get past the cheesy UI, but I also run into the same issue as with the 9" unit - very little info/testimonial on this product.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/33389093754...id=28#shpCntId

OPTION THREE (and the one I'm MOST interested in) - Buying a OEM screen from a GLK that came with nav from the factory and buying the stand-alone CarPlay box to tuck behind it.
This option is interesting because it would use factory parts for everything visible on the dash; everything you see would be all MB parts, then you flip the screen to CarPlay and it looks like a newer car.
However, I do not know enough about the factory wiring to know if this is actually doable, like if the nav-capable screen would work with my non-nav equipped head unit/wiring.
If I get the nav-capable screen, would it not work at all since my car doesn't have nav from the factory? Would I lose any functionality of my factory system by using the nav-capable screen?
The only thing I use (and infrequently at that) is FM radio - everything else, I would be able to do with CarPlay if it'll work with the nav-capable screen.
Even if the screen only turns on/off, I would be fine with doing everything from CarPlay and nothing on the OEM Coamnd system working, if it came to that.
Only problem is I can't find any NTG 4.0 large screens for sale at the moment. I see plenty of NTG 4.5, but I know the harness is completely different...

So as of right now, I have no clue which direction to go with this dilemma.
I'm open to ideas or suggestions, so please let me know.

And thanks for reading that long-a$$ post and understanding the issue!

I just installed the Road Top 10.25" screen and it looks really awesome. Very similar to how some of the 2019 models look. The customer service was awesome and I even found mercedes boot logos and animations. I pretty much had to go this route because we added a backup camera also. Looks like it came with the vehicle. Very happy.