GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2015 GLK - lighting upgrade (halogen to aftermarket LEDs)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2023, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Mercedes-Benz GLK 350
2015 GLK - lighting upgrade (halogen to aftermarket LEDs)

Recently purchased a 2015 GLK 350. Absolutely love everything about the car, with one exception…the stock halogen headlights. It blows my mind that Mercedes got away with halogens in 2015! Regardless, I am looking to install some aftermarket headlights (seen above). You can find these LEDs online everywhere. They claim to be “plug and play” replacement for the OEM halogen assembly only. I read a few threads on these lights in the past on here, but none of them answered my questions…

1. Any solution to the side marker light error codes? Because these aftermarkets do not have any side markers, the car throws a code because there literally is no bulb. I know you can install a resistor, but has this been fixed on these?

2. These lights advertise the eyebrow LED DRLs. However, I don’t see how they could possibly work. My GLKs DRLs are under the headlight (typical fog light location). There is no DRL in the headlight assembly itself. How can these LEDs have a DRL then. What wire are they connected to? How do I turn them on? I would like to have both my old “fog lights” and these new eyebrows on at the same time during the day. At night I don’t think this will be an issue.

Any help would be appreciated. Hoping to get some input from those of you that have tried this aftermarket upgrade.

fyi I am based in the US (for lighting requirements)

Cheers!
Old 10-06-2023, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 236 Likes on 218 Posts
2013 glk 350
Yes mb halogen Glk 350 are the worst lights I’ve had. Your route looks like at least 1000$ and possible Canbus issues. I spent maybe 300 total and simply swapped in HID 35 watt bulb and Canbus ballast . With a 35w HID you get 2.5 x the output. You must aim them completely down. You won’t blind on coming traffic and the lights just work great. People here will say you can’t do what I did . They NEVER tried it! They just don’t know. Aiming down is what makes it work.
Old 10-09-2023, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Mercedes-Benz GLK 350
Originally Posted by Mmr1
Yes mb halogen Glk 350 are the worst lights I’ve had. Your route looks like at least 1000$ and possible Canbus issues. I spent maybe 300 total and simply swapped in HID 35 watt bulb and Canbus ballast . With a 35w HID you get 2.5 x the output. You must aim them completely down. You won’t blind on coming traffic and the lights just work great. People here will say you can’t do what I did . They NEVER tried it! They just don’t know. Aiming down is what makes it work.
I’d rather not do a bulb swap, especially given that these headlights I have pictured above are only $600 right now. I love the look of the OEM bi-xenons, and these are pretty damn close. What I am really looking for are answers to my two questions in my OP. But thanks for the input! Always an option to replace bulbs if these don’t pan out.
Old 10-09-2023, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 236 Likes on 218 Posts
2013 glk 350
The questions on fixing the light issues will probably cost a lot to have someone possibly figure out. they might not do it. You might spend alot of wasted time and money and not be satisfied. I wanted those at first. Just too much of a headache and risk. I wanted lights for driving. Not a project.