GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Spare tire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK250 Bluetec
Spare tire

Hello, have a 2015 GLK250 with 85k km / 50k miles. it has 20" Pirelli tires (new), We've just purchased this vehicle a month ago.
we live in areas where it's not uncommon to have two hours of drive time between towns, and i'd like to try to find a compact / temp spare tire for it. it seems there is enough room for one in the cavity under the rear cargo cover.
any suggestions?
Thank you,
Dan
Old 02-13-2024, 05:18 PM

Received 171 Likes on 131 Posts
2011 GLK 350 4Matic
Others have tried this, with various amounts of success. From what I recall, the diameter is marginally OK (I'd measure your 20" tire OD to see if one with the same OD - important - will fit or not). The biggest issue seemed to be the depth / width of the tire wouldn't allow the hatch to close completely. I believe the last person trying this found he could leave the tire deflated and get it in there. OTOH, you might be able to do the math and find a much narrower tire on a much narrower rim, with the same (or very similar - within 0.5% is certainly fine) that could fit. Of course, you'd just have to make sure the bolt pattern is correct. You might get away with a larger centerbore (meaning the hub wouldn't center the rim perfectly - that job would fall to the lug bolts). But for a spare, I wouldn't get my knickers in too tight a twist over that.

Me, I've had to run a spare tire once in the last 10 years, and that was kind of / sort of optional. So I'll just trust the odd MB "pre-folded" spare if I need it.
The following users liked this post:
Bill F (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 331 Likes on 264 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
You can try to find the collapsible spare and compressor from a GLK350. Make sure you get the lug bolts for it, too. You won't have a level floor because of the DEF tank, but I think it will fit part way into the recess. Otherwise, strap a tire to the roof rack... Or go back to the run-flat tires the car originally came with.

I carry a Slime 50123 flat repair kit, an AAA card and a cell phone.

Last edited by John CC; 02-13-2024 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Correct part number
The following users liked this post:
Roadrashed (02-14-2024)