GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Cold Start Engine Sounds

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2024, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GLK350
Cold Start Engine Sounds

Hi everyone, my engine is making a variety of sounds when on a cold start that disappear after a minute. Please see this video to hear the sounds. I would love some help to identify if this is an easily addressed issue, or a more serious issue for the mechanic? The GLK is at about 107k km. Thanks!

Last edited by beareth; 08-19-2024 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Added odometer.
Old 08-20-2024, 05:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 212 Posts
2013 glk 350
You didn’t put in the audio when the sound goes away. I will just guess and say clogged lifters from the stupidly- excessively long Mb stated oil change interval, has allowed sludge to build up. Also running a cold motor will sludge it up. Like from a bad thermostat. You could try an engine flush like Liquid Moly. Or maybe the timing chain is loose until it get lubrication. I’m just guessing at possible things. You need a mechanic to look at it and tell you what it is.
Old 08-20-2024, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GLK350
Originally Posted by Mmr1
You didn’t put in the audio when the sound goes away. I will just guess and say clogged lifters from the stupidly- excessively long Mb stated oil change interval, has allowed sludge to build up. Also running a cold motor will sludge it up. Like from a bad thermostat. You could try an engine flush like Liquid Moly. Or maybe the timing chain is loose until it get lubrication. I’m just guessing at possible things. You need a mechanic to look at it and tell you what it is.
Thanks for the response and watching the video! I didn't know when it would end, so I ended the recording prematurely haha. When the sound goes away, the sound reaches a higher pitch/frequency before it stops abruptly with a type of squeal, kind of like a seal either closing or opening.
Old 08-20-2024, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 212 Posts
2013 glk 350
My 13 has made noise cold since I got it 10 years ago. I just ignore it. Maybe yours is a pulley bearing or water pump. A stethoscope for a car would help pinpoint it. I think I heard a squeek on your video, that might be a bearing going bad