GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

TO ALL MBWorld MEMBERS, *Kamen* NEEDS OUR HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
TO ALL MBWorld MEMBERS, *Kamen* NEEDS OUR HELP!

Fellow member *Kamen* has a situation that needs our collective help. His headlight assemblies become filled with water condensation on rainy wet days. (Actually it's the upper turn signal areas on both headlamps that fill with water vapor.)

Please post here if your headlamps do the same or not. Take a moment after a rainy wet drive to look to see if your headlights have condensation or not.

Based on the results of this thread, Kamen can print it out for his service mgr. to see.

For the record, ours are bone dry.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350
LOL I appreciate the help MBRed, really do.

FYI to everyone else I noticed some condensation the other day when it was not rainy, but cold. I suspect that after the car runs for awhile and it starts to cool down when parked, the temperature trying to dissipate combined with the cold air outside causes this condensation in the headlights (similar to windshields fogging up in rainy weather).
Old 12-08-2009, 12:20 AM

GLK 350 AWD Steel Grey/Black Interior (3/18/09); E63AMG (5/5/2011)
No condensation on mine.
Had my car since March 2009 and have been through several rainy days already.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350X :0
coming soon....

Hey Kamen,

I am waiting for next week or by the 22nd to p/u my GLK. I wish I could tell you this sooner.
However, due to some "enhancements" done to recent production, I hope they have made this improvement at least. Problem is that most of the GLKs sold are not subject to the rainfall that we experience in Vancouver, BC.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:31 AM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by MBRedux
Fellow member *Kamen* has a situation that needs our collective help. His headlight assemblies become filled with water condensation on rainy wet days. (Actually it's the upper turn signal areas on both headlamps that fill with water vapor.)

Please post here if your headlamps do the same or not. Take a moment after a rainy wet drive to look to see if your headlights have condensation or not.

Based on the results of this thread, Kamen can print it out for his service mgr. to see.

For the record, ours are bone dry.
Actually, we bought our GLK last night in 30-40ish F cold and rain and when we got home, there was condensation in the upper and side part of the front headlights (both sides). We were not sure if this was a problem. I figured its because the dealership keeps the cars outside and it was raining/cold all day.

The condensation did not go away in the few hours it was parked in our garage that night, but it was gone by morning. It was warmer this morning and not raining (about 64 degrees F) and no condensation was present after 45 minutes of driving to work.

It was interesting that the condensation seems like it stopped right at the part where the main lights were, both on the top and side border. Not sure if there is a plastic/rubber seal there or if just the heat of the headlamps prevents the condensation from staying in that part.

Anyways, if it turns out it is a problem, I should prboably get it dealt with as well. I will post pictures if it happens again.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:25 AM

2010 GLK 350 4Matic
It is snowing pretty heavy in Kingston right now. I will check and let you know later tonight.

If this is going to MB then I have to say:

Squeaking Breaks are Embarrassing on a brand new Mercedes Benz.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
OKAY... FOUND THE PROBLEM

I will post pictures soon on the procedure but the issue is poorly made front headlamps (Made in Austria... surprising!) If you were to remove the top cover just behind the headlamp and examine the actual headlight housing, you will notice the the seal between the black rear and front clear assemblies are uneven, which may allow water to get past the rubber gasket... also, there is one unused but plugged light socket on top for the parking lamps.... this plug may not be installed properly in some cars (ours is tight) allowing moisture to get in.

I will post pics soon! This is not "NORMAL" but poor workmanship. ): Back to work... see you later.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:37 AM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350
Thanks Duke, I agree it's really really embarassing.

How's Kingston? I lived there for 5 years when I went to Queen's!
Old 12-09-2009, 11:41 AM

Thumbs up Amazing find MBRedux

MBRedux, did you take your h/light apart to see this?

If the seal is uneven, and poor workmanship, we'll need enough members to complain on both side of the borders to make MB take care of it a.s.a.p.
This is embarrassing to see a new MB having this flaw.

Thanks for the update.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:21 PM

2010 GLK 350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Kamen
Thanks Duke, I agree it's really really embarassing.

How's Kingston? I lived there for 5 years when I went to Queen's!

Kingston is good. Snowy today. Queen's is doing fine. Don't worry I will keep eye on those freshman for you
Old 12-14-2009, 01:08 AM

Any updates Anyone?

Kamen / MBRedux any new news?

Old 12-14-2009, 12:14 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by dwlovell
Actually, we bought our GLK last night in 30-40ish F cold and rain and when we got home, there was condensation in the upper and side part of the front headlights (both sides). We were not sure if this was a problem. I figured its because the dealership keeps the cars outside and it was raining/cold all day.

The condensation did not go away in the few hours it was parked in our garage that night, but it was gone by morning. It was warmer this morning and not raining (about 64 degrees F) and no condensation was present after 45 minutes of driving to work.

It was interesting that the condensation seems like it stopped right at the part where the main lights were, both on the top and side border. Not sure if there is a plastic/rubber seal there or if just the heat of the headlamps prevents the condensation from staying in that part.

Anyways, if it turns out it is a problem, I should prboably get it dealt with as well. I will post pictures if it happens again.
Here is an update (reply to my own message).

After the first 3 days, there has been no more condensation, no matter how cold, rainy or clear the day is. The second and third day had very slight condensation, no more than a quarter in area.

I really think the initial condensation was due to the car sitting outside on the lot in the rain and cold for a few weeks, allowing cold/wet/humid air to slowly seep into whatever cavities existed in the car, then it gets warmed up suddenly for much longer than it is used to. I keep my cars in the garage at home and in a covered deck at work. I was also thinking maybe there is a break-in period where the seals get heated up and expand under normal use to fill all gaps, but when they sit for a long time, they shrink a little, but that is pure speculation.

I seem to remember 7 years ago when I drove home my new 2002 Toyota Highlander, there was condensation in the lights the first week, but after that, never really saw it agian.

Hopefully its done for our GLK. Only about 250 miles total so far and loving everything else.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Pix posted here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...ht-thread.html