GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

GLS350d gone by the wayside....?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 11:23 PM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
2021 V167
GLS350d gone by the wayside....?

In reading the north American MB presidents comments on the future of diesels in the US my favorite design may be a thing of the past. I have been waiting a year now to replace my 2011 gl350 with a new one and my friend actually owns several dealers with no better info. Word is on the Sprinters there will not be a 2017 model at all, and resuming production is not on the horizon...

Scary stuff for us diesel enthusiasts.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
gl550
Sad thing is diesel in the US was gimped anyway. Ultra high sulfur means less MPG and ad-blue system with all its issues is a huge downside. I really wish we could have proper diesel options like some other countries get to enjoy.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:57 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
GLE350d, Porsche TE
There's GLS350d's built (For Canadian market for sure) but sitting on lots, in storage. they may still be sold but unlikely you'll get your hands on one as they're presold and some sold to foreign markets already.

VW Dealer in town just listed brand new 2015 VW Jetta diesels on the lot 0km, still in plastic!

So you'll never know until fat lady sings.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
B;ame the Fed's - they got conned by VW for 7 years - and the Feds have not figurred out their new game plan for Euro passenger diesels.

In the commercial trucking business has HUGE organized lobby in Washington - as compared to NO organized lobby for diesel passenger vehicles.

If I was in your place - there is a case to be made for finding a Top Value in Mercedes Certified - heck the most recent "good one" that hit my deak as a example - 2013 with 25K miles - like $45K and add extended CPO on top and be happy for less..
Old 04-20-2017, 03:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W126-500SEC
In Europe it's the environmental 'green' parties and organizations that heve earmarked diesel engines as their next objective to achive in their quest to prohibit all things to all people and al economic activity.

I've got a 350d on order, but I suspect it'll be the last diesel I own.

Several 'large' cities are already banning diesels. Euro 3's are banned already (yes, also to inhabitants of said city) unless you pay a lot extra*

Euro 4's are up come january. 5's the year ater

* Because everyone knows that a car (or any other target of choice) that is environmentally damaging because it emits 'x' amount of 'y' compounds suddenly becomes linearly more environmentally friendly as taxes are raised by 'z' exponentially.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:45 AM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
I was recently told by the parts manager at my local MB dealer (in Canada) that there will NOT be a 2017 diesel GL for sure.

He said they're working on certification for the 2018's (didn't have an estimated time on when that would be)

I suspect the 2017 GLS350d models that are all built and sitting in a warehouse will be sold as used cars.

Porsche announced yesterday that they are doing this with the diesel Cayennes. They will put them up for sale as used cars, therefore not needing to certify them for sale as new. They will be sold "as-is" and used, but will presumably have all the plastic on them still as if they are brand new. Not sure if they have a requirement to put a certain mileage on them to consider them used but I'd assume it is a low number (ie. they have to put 200-500km on them otherwise they're considered new?)

I am an owner of a 2007 Gl320 with 300,000km and I have my eyeball on a new GLS diesel.

I'm saving my $ and hoping this fall or early winter there will be a pile of discounted "used" GLS350d hitting the market.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W126-500SEC
Achtung ! Pure speculation warning !

Benz are introducing the new I6's in the S pretty soon. This engine will undoubtedly find its way into the GLS, maybe even as soon as the 2019 model (at that point the introduction of the X166 body successor won't be far away either). However, there are some pretty radical changes to those engines, like no more 12V grid but 48V instead, and there's even talk of electrically powered (pre?) turbo's

Depending on when this engine surfaces, I don't know if MB is going to be willing to jump through a bunch of hoops to certify the 'old' engine if they're only going to be using it for one more MY.

But who knows !

Pete