GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Active curve system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
x5
Active curve system

Does anyone here have a gls with active curve system?
Impressions??
Old 08-21-2017, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 214 Likes on 169 Posts
2012 Volt - 2005 E55 - 2011 G55 - 2013 GL63
Have it on my GL550 and took a while to find one with it as it was a must have for us. To me it rides so much more like a car in turns and doesn't sway side to side which to me is what really makes a car feel big. Feels so level in all turns and even simple ones, don't have to be driving hard or sharp turns to notice the diff in how it feels.

Best to drive one with and then without back to back on the same windy road and see how much you like it and if it's worth the large extra cost. I truly don't get why anyone spending this kind of money on one esp when ordering wouldn't get it. We found ones with Designo and rear entertainment but no Active Curve. Looked at about 30 GLs I feel and only 2 had it.
The following users liked this post:
csm71 (08-27-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 280 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
I have Active Curve on my 17-GLS550. It is rare to find a GLS with Active Curve sitting on a lot so I had to order my GLS. I notice a little less sway around turns but its not a huge difference. It just steadies the GLS a bit and makes it feel a bit more sure-footed on a tight turn. Maybe its working so well I just don't notice it working. Is it worth $2,900? I'll leave that to you but if you're wondering if I would option it again, probably not. There may be other owners who feel exactly the opposite but that's my take on AC.
csm71 (08-27-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 06:07 AM

x5
Great ! Thank you!

Thanks!!

Originally Posted by JoeMa
I have Active Curve on my 17-GLS550. It is rare to find a GLS with Active Curve sitting on a lot so I had to order my GLS. I notice a little less sway around turns but its not a huge difference. It just steadies the GLS a bit and makes it feel a bit more sure-footed on a tight turn. Maybe its working so well I just don't notice it working. Is it worth $2,900? I'll leave that to you but if you're wondering if I would option it again, probably not. There may be other owners who feel exactly the opposite but that's my take on AC.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:27 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
GLS63 / GONE: '16 GL63 '15 S63 '14 E63 '13 ML550 '10 E63 '09 C63 '07 E63 '00 E55 '99 C43 '84 190E16V
Originally Posted by csm71
Impressions??
Worth every penny... I won't buy another SUV without it.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:53 PM

x5
Unfortunately 3 dealers I have been to don't have any cars with it ....

so hard to do head to head comparison

interesting ALL the reviews of this car have it ...so the reviewers can't and do not ever comment on it

Originally Posted by black06c230
Have it on my GL550 and took a while to find one with it as it was a must have for us. To me it rides so much more like a car in turns and doesn't sway side to side which to me is what really makes a car feel big. Feels so level in all turns and even simple ones, don't have to be driving hard or sharp turns to notice the diff in how it feels.

Best to drive one with and then without back to back on the same windy road and see how much you like it and if it's worth the large extra cost. I truly don't get why anyone spending this kind of money on one esp when ordering wouldn't get it. We found ones with Designo and rear entertainment but no Active Curve. Looked at about 30 GLs I feel and only 2 had it.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:35 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
GLS450
Unfortunately 3 dealers I have been to don't have any cars with it ....

so hard to do head to head comparison

interesting ALL the reviews of this car have it ...so the reviewers can't and do not ever comment on it
Did you check outside your area? Try calling dealers outside your area. It's worth the test drive to make your decision.

For me and my wife we've never had an SUV handle so well!
Old 08-29-2017, 03:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Haflinger
we have ACS on our GLS350. I comfort mode the car rolls very little while still absorbing bumps. Its quite different to sport, where the cars ride is flatter again, but more affected by small and big bumps. If you put the display to show the cars dynamic settings, you can see the active curve being activated as the cornering force increases. If Im going along a smooth curvy road, sport is better, or individual setting, sport engine, comfort steering & ride.

we have a Cayenne and while that is still more engaging and direct, the GLS goes OK!!
Old 08-29-2017, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLS
I have it on my 17 GLS 550 that we picked up a couple of weeks ago. Honestly, I didn't notice much difference in the test drive but then I wasn't really trying to notice it. And I haven't been able to drive the car much at all since we got it because my wife has it the whole time. I went for it over one that had the magic vision wipers instead. It just seemed like an appropriate upgrade to a care of this sort. I bought this truck in part because it drives like a European sports sedan and having the active curve only improves that imo.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 703 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
I drove both. The difference is very noticeable. The rolly polly of the GLS is almost entirely eliminated, making it handle like a car rather than the tank it really is. The only way to get the GLS you want is to order it, Its kind ridiculous to not get exactly what you want when buying a 100K plus car.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:31 AM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by c4004matic
I drove both. The difference is very noticeable. The rolly polly of the GLS is almost entirely eliminated, making it handle like a car rather than the tank it really is. The only way to get the GLS you want is to order it, Its kind ridiculous to not get exactly what you want when buying a 100K plus car.
You are right, the only thing is that the 3 month wait felt like forever when I custom ordered my previous car. Every morning when I woke up the first thing on my mind was the car, it was ridiculous! I was so happy that I didn't have to go through that again when I got my current GLS.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
gl550
Have it and wouldn't own a GLS without it.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:51 AM

GL550
Active Curve system a mess

Originally Posted by jbak31
Have it and wouldn't own a GLS without it.
we have a 2017 GLS550 which we ordered w active curve. It is now at dealer for fourth time. Active curve stopped working without a warning light. They fixed a piece of hardware. Then multiple active curve inoperable lights. Dealer is now on fourth try to fix and even has mercedes engineering on it. I’ve reached out to a lemon law lawyer but hoping MB will just do refund. Awful. They keep performing fixed which I know won’t work — recalibrate and “bleed the lines 3-4 times) after they’ve already bled them. I told dealer we all know bleeding lines more wont work. It didn’t. Any advice on how to get our money back? We’ve also had gremlins in the pre-safe braking over metal plates in Road. They claim this is normal! Crazy. The pretentioner Fire periodically. Our BMW doesn’t do that! Thoughts?
Old 12-30-2017, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 703 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by penn65000

we have a 2017 GLS550 which we ordered w active curve. It is now at dealer for fourth time. Active curve stopped working without a warning light. They fixed a piece of hardware. Then multiple active curve inoperable lights. Dealer is now on fourth try to fix and even has mercedes engineering on it. I’ve reached out to a lemon law lawyer but hoping MB will just do refund. Awful. They keep performing fixed which I know won’t work — recalibrate and “bleed the lines 3-4 times) after they’ve already bled them. I told dealer we all know bleeding lines more wont work. It didn’t. Any advice on how to get our money back? We’ve also had gremlins in the pre-safe braking over metal plates in Road. They claim this is normal! Crazy. The pretentioner Fire periodically. Our BMW doesn’t do that! Thoughts?
You have an incompetent dealer. The system is very simple to fix or replace if necessary. From your description the fault is almost certainty is in one of the tilt sensors. Get some other dealer to fix it.
penn65000 (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 01:28 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by c4004matic
You have an incompetent dealer. The system is very simple to fix or replace if necessary. From your description the fault is almost certainty is in one of the tilt sensors. Get some other dealer to fix it.
thanks. Will do.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Yes - "tilt" sensor system for pre-safe is suspect for this comment - " The pretentioner Fire periodically" - which is a MAJOR safety hazard.

And as pointed out - yes - that same "tilt sensor system" feeds info to the Active Curve System - so - Yes - Tilt Sensor system could be contributing factor on your ACS - but since you haven't described your specific Active Curve Issues - I don't have enough info.

Do you have a common problem - no - do you have a "common problem" that comes up with ACS - frankly the ACS systems on the GLS have been rock solid from what I have seen with my rig and my customer's rig's.... essential system - meaning essential - on the GLS63
penn65000 (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 06:20 PM

GL550
Thanks for the info. Are you a MB tech? Just curious.

Re the pretensioner— this happened also (2-3 times) with our prior suv, the 2014 GL550. The seat belts pull in a bit then release. MB sent a tech and they replicated the issue one or twice in same area with steel plates on ground in construction area. They said it is due to reflection of the radar and that there’s no issue and that the seat belts didn’t pretention completely (system eventually realized there was no danger).

Active curve issue is that it wasn’t working (I could tell) and they bled lines and replaced a valve. Then a few weeks later the warning light started going on )pic attached) . They then found some bubbles in system and replaced fluid and bled lines. When they were returning car they light came on again and they called MB and MB told them to bleed lines 3-4 times. I knew this wouldn’t fix the issue. They had tech take overnight and the light went on again. Now they say they’re waiting again on MB engineering.

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Yes - "tilt" sensor system for pre-safe is suspect for this comment - " The pretentioner Fire periodically" - which is a MAJOR safety hazard.

And as pointed out - yes - that same "tilt sensor system" feeds info to the Active Curve System - so - Yes - Tilt Sensor system could be contributing factor on your ACS - but since you haven't described your specific Active Curve Issues - I don't have enough info.

Do you have a common problem - no - do you have a "common problem" that comes up with ACS - frankly the ACS systems on the GLS have been rock solid from what I have seen with my rig and my customer's rig's.... essential system - meaning essential - on the GLS63

Last edited by penn65000; 12-30-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:55 PM

GLS 550
Thanks for the info. Are you a MB tech? Just curious.

Re the pretensioner— this happened also (2-3 times) with our prior suv, the 2014 GL550. The seat belts pull in a bit then release. MB sent a tech and they replicated the issue one or twice in same area with steel plates on ground in construction area. They said it is due to reflection of the radar and that there’s no issue and that the seat belts didn’t pretention completely (system eventually realized there was no danger).

Active curve issue is that it wasn’t working (I could tell) and they bled lines and replaced a valve. Then a few weeks later the warning light started going on )pic attached) . They then found some bubbles in system and replaced fluid and bled lines. When they were returning car they light came on again and they called MB and MB told them to bleed lines 3-4 times. I knew this wouldn’t fix the issue. They had tech take overnight and the light went on again. Now they say they’re waiting again on MB engineering.

​​​​​​​
Any update on this? I had some issue with ACS as well, now they just replaced the front one and bleed system, hope no more errors. Also the it seems to re adjust it's balance after coming to a complete stop sometime, it would suddenly lower one side.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:09 PM

GL550

They’ve not been able to fix ACS. The “bleed system” thing is a joke. Doesn’t do a damn thing. US MB techs and dealer can’t fix. 7 weeks without suv. We’ve requested buyback.

Originally Posted by Anomander Rake
Any update on this? I had some issue with ACS as well, now they just replaced the front one and bleed system, hope no more errors. Also the it seems to re adjust it's balance after coming to a complete stop sometime, it would suddenly lower one side.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:37 PM

GLS 550

They’ve not been able to fix ACS. The “bleed system” thing is a joke. Doesn’t do a damn thing. US MB techs and dealer can’t fix. 7 weeks without suv. We’ve requested buyback.

Dame... Hope you get your money back soon and mine don't have the same issue...
Old 02-02-2018, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
We've fixed a couple here with issues, I have a feeling your dealership just doesn't have anyone well versed in how the ABC/ACS system works.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:38 PM

GLS 550
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
We've fixed a couple here with issues, I have a feeling your dealership just doesn't have anyone well versed in how the ABC/ACS system works.
Got a question, is it a normal function that the car would lower one side's suspension after coming to a stop that is a bit sloped side to side? I found it tends to happen when I stop right after a turn or lane change when my steering wheel is still turned to one side. Would be great if you could shed some light on this as it seems you are a MB dealer. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by Anomander Rake
Got a question, is it a normal function that the car would lower one side's suspension after coming to a stop that is a bit sloped side to side? I found it tends to happen when I stop right after a turn or lane change when my steering wheel is still turned to one side. Would be great if you could shed some light on this as it seems you are a MB dealer. Thanks.
After you're already stopped, it lowers? If you straighten the wheel does it still happen?

If it's happening as I picture this in my head, yes it's normal, if you turn sharply and stop mid-turn with the wheels still turned, the system was trying to use the active bars to level the truck, and once the speed drops to zero it probably settles down to release the pressure.
Anomander Rake (02-04-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 03:05 AM

GLS 550
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
After you're already stopped, it lowers? If you straighten the wheel does it still happen?

If it's happening as I picture this in my head, yes it's normal, if you turn sharply and stop mid-turn with the wheels still turned, the system was trying to use the active bars to level the truck, and once the speed drops to zero it probably settles down to release the pressure.
Thanks for the answer, it just happened again today when I was stopping a red light without turning or changing lane, but then again road wasn't perfectly flat I guess? Also struck me a bit off these leveling action are very quick and sudden. I am going to drive a lot more tomorrow and hope to have more information. Edit:could some sensor or control unit be issue or too sensitive?

Then again this is my fist truck/car with air suspension, also find comfort mode still feel floating a bit on freeway, and even sport mode feels more float compare to my Cayenne or Rav4, guess that's normal?

Last edited by Anomander Rake; 02-04-2018 at 03:14 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:06 PM

GL550
Active Curve horrendous

Active Curve is a disaster. Our 2017 GLS550 has been at the dealer now seven (7) weeks and they can't fix the active curve. I've demanded a buy-back. Stay away.

Impressions??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Active curve system