Notices

Diesel

 
Old 10-14-2017, 09:19 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 179
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C300 4Matic, 2011 GL450, 2005 ML500, 2010 GL350 and 2003 SLK230
Diesel

Was a diesel version ever sold? I canít seem to find any.
B Marques is offline  
Old 10-20-2017, 10:20 AM
  #2  
skw
Super Member
 
skw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Boston area
Posts: 571
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2019 GLS450
That whole VW diesel mess came about just as the GLS was released so there was a stop/hold put on all of the GLS350 vehicles still at the factory and on the dealer's lots. There possibly may have been a handful already delivered to customers but I haven't seen any. My local dealer had 2 en route to them and even showed on their website but those were taken back by MBUSA.
skw is offline  
Old 10-21-2017, 02:35 PM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,936
Likes: 0
Received 573 Likes on 447 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
The US Feds got really amped up over the VW thing - and in tracking back - the German car companies intra-company in developing sensible tech for diesel are construed by some US and Euro government agencies as "price fixing"..

Daimler has come forward with FULL disclosure - and the EU has already granted MB "immunity" if anything comes up in Euro adjudged "price fixing"

The US Fed's won't grant immunity in return for full disclosure - so MB diesels form the US will go bye-bye until more is known about the US Fed direction on diesel
fabbrisd1 is offline  
Old 11-30-2017, 03:44 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 119
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 E63s Wagon
I just returned a 2016 GL350 - I don't think we'll see any more of them, unfortunately, due to the mess with the EPA/Feds. The rare late model CPO is out there if you want one. Dang shame, diesel in the GL was a great application. Wasn't "fast" but plenty of grunt and great mileage compared to gassers.
cemeek is offline  
Old 11-30-2017, 04:50 PM
  #5  
skw
Super Member
 
skw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Boston area
Posts: 571
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2019 GLS450
Which dealer?
skw is offline  
Old 11-30-2017, 06:32 PM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 119
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by skw View Post
Which dealer?
Hendrick Motors of Charlotte, NC
cemeek is offline  
Old 11-30-2017, 07:37 PM
  #7  
skw
Super Member
 
skw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Boston area
Posts: 571
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2019 GLS450
Originally Posted by cemeek View Post
Hendrick Motors of Charlotte, NC
skw is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 04:21 AM
  #8  
Member
 
350MH83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Western Europe
Posts: 223
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 GLS 350d
We have the opposite issue in Europe... Almost impossible to find a gasser, unless you are ready to spend 4 months in line for a custom order. All the GLS are diesel in here.
350MH83 is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 02:50 PM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 119
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by 350MH83 View Post
We have the opposite issue in Europe... Almost impossible to find a gasser, unless you are ready to spend 4 months in line for a custom order. All the GLS are diesel in here.
I wouldn't want a gasser in Europe, the 550 gets 14/18 miles per gallon. With gasoline relatively cheap in the US vs Europe those numbers are tolerable. But next time gas hits $4 US, and it will, everyone will be scrambling to sell them, again
cemeek is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 03:45 PM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 2,085
Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts
17 E43; 18 GLS550
Originally Posted by cemeek View Post
I wouldn't want a gasser in Europe, the 550 gets 14/18 miles per gallon. With gasoline relatively cheap in the US vs Europe those numbers are tolerable. But next time gas hits $4 US, and it will, everyone will be scrambling to sell them, again
After paying 100k plus on a car, 20 extra bucks a tank is a non issue. In Germany it costs almost $200k which makes gas an afterthought. In this type of vehicle consumption is commesurate with capability. A 550 with 7 passengers gives better gas efficiency overall than a Prius with 2 ( per passenger ) !!!

Last edited by c4004matic; 12-01-2017 at 03:54 PM.
c4004matic is offline  
Old 12-01-2017, 05:23 PM
  #11  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 119
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by c4004matic View Post
After paying 100k plus on a car, 20 extra bucks a tank is a non issue. In Germany it costs almost $200k which makes gas an afterthought. In this type of vehicle consumption is commesurate with capability. A 550 with 7 passengers gives better gas efficiency overall than a Prius with 2 ( per passenger ) !!!
Man I don't know if that maths out . $20 more a tank but 2x the mileage. I could nurse 28 on the highway out of our GL350, fully laden. If I'm in Germany right now that's ~$6.00 a gallon. Maybe $200k car owners don't care, come to think of it I don't either anymore but maybe that's because Premium is still < $3.00 gallon here?
cemeek is offline  
Old 12-02-2017, 12:29 AM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 2,085
Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts
17 E43; 18 GLS550
Originally Posted by cemeek View Post
Man I don't know if that maths out . $20 more a tank but 2x the mileage. I could nurse 28 on the highway out of our GL350, fully laden. If I'm in Germany right now that's ~$6.00 a gallon. Maybe $200k car owners don't care, come to think of it I don't either anymore but maybe that's because Premium is still < $3.00 gallon here?
its all a matter of perspective On the other hand the seven passanger vs 2 is factually correct, seven passengers at 20 mpg is better than two at 50 mpg! Even if the prius carries 3 its pretty close! I know its funny math since the rated mpg is with only one occupant but it makes the point A fully loaded city bus gets 5mpg but carries 50 people thus its more efficient than fifty priuses. Lol.
c4004matic is offline  
Old 12-13-2017, 06:32 PM
  #13  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLS450
I just turned in my 2014 GL350 that would get 30 mpg if you treated it right. My new GLS450 gets 22 mpg under the same conditions. The new 9 speed tranny is way better than the old 7 speed for smoothness, no banging down in to lower gears, and apparently better fuel mileage. And boy does it ever take off, even in comfort mode. Premium gas is just 5 cents more than Diesel today here in Texas. Yet I still miss the diesel's personality.
Blake4@aol.com is offline  
Old 12-14-2017, 09:57 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Strafzettel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 351
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I just turned in my 2014 GL350 that would get 30 mpg if you treated it right. My new GLS450 gets 22 mpg under the same conditions. The new 9 speed tranny is way better than the old 7 speed for smoothness, no banging down in to lower gears, and apparently better fuel mileage. And boy does it ever take off, even in comfort mode. Premium gas is just 5 cents more than Diesel today here in Texas. Yet I still miss the diesel's personality.
I agree... I was so used to push the pedal only half way in my ML bluetec because it had so much torque that it didn't need to downshift plus the 7 speed transmission was a little slow. Passengers didn't even notice that I was speeding because everything happened in the 2000 - 4200 rpm range. Now in the GLS450 I have to remind myself that I really need to floor it and then it does take off nicely... but now I'm getting comments on my driving from passengers because the gasoline engine screams a little at higher rpms.
Strafzettel is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Diesel


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: