GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Apple car play and navigation

Old 11-22-2017, 06:59 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 GLS 450
Apple car play and navigation

I like apple car play except for Amazon Music which doesn't load half the time and I'm not a fan of the apple map navigation either. I find google maps best but I can't get the visual on the car display. I find the Mercedes navigation second best while it has really nice graphics, I like how it shows a picture showing which lane to use next to the map image.
Is there a way to switch to the Mercedes Navi while using apple car play? So far my only solution has been to unplug the phone to get that to work
Old 11-23-2017, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 398 Likes on 279 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
Originally Posted by Strafzettel
Is there a way to switch to the Mercedes Navi while using apple car play? So far my only solution has been to unplug the phone to get that to work
You cannot view the Mercedes Nav system when using CarPlay.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:22 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by JoeMa
You cannot view the Mercedes Nav system when using CarPlay.
That's what I thought but I wanted to ask in case I missed something, thanks!
Old 11-23-2017, 01:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 GLS 550 & 2016 SLK300
Originally Posted by Strafzettel
I like apple car play except for Amazon Music which doesn't load half the time and I'm not a fan of the apple map navigation either. I find google maps best but I can't get the visual on the car display. I find the Mercedes navigation second best while it has really nice graphics, I like how it shows a picture showing which lane to use next to the map image.
Can't stand car play, I simply plug into the other slot if not using bluetooth. This shows cover art on screen and allows for use of the MB command system without the headache of carplay.

I get it that others like carplay, I'm glad MB gave us many options on how to utilize our phones and music with these vehicles.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 232 Likes on 188 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
Me too I think CarPlay sucks.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Really? You prefer the built-in MB-Nav to CarPlay? Using Siri, I can get directions in seconds. I can easily send and receive text messages using Siri. I can easily request music from more than 30 million songs. What in heavens name are you guys complaining about? I'll admit CarPlay isn't perfect but compared to using the built-in maps, CarPlay is a huge improvement. Anyone else see the benefits of CarPlay? My only complaint is the need to plug in my iPhone. Wireless charging and wireless CarPlay will eventually come to the GLS (maybe even in the 2019 X167). When it does, it will be a welcome addition.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 232 Likes on 188 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
MB nav shows the correct lane to be in at intersections (CarPlay does not) - also shows up in the centre between the dials as arrows (CarPlay does not) which I find handy when driving in a city I don't know as I can keep my eyes on the road better, and it gives a visual count down (CarPlay does not) as to how far I am from a turn (again useful in strange cities). I usually know where I want to go before I set off so don't need Siri and can send destinations to the car from Mercedes Me before I set off. I also prefer the visuals of the MB satnav as the maps in CarPlay are quite small (on my screen).

30 million songs - I don't need it - I load the music I like onto an iPod which is plugged into the second USB and to be honest, I don't listen to that much music - prefer talk radio. Last time I used the IPOD was when I went to Europe in May.

The only CarPlay feature that I do find useful, is the ability to send a SMS using voice commands with SIRI -- I suspect MB may be able to do something similar (not yet tried).... MB can receive and read SMS messages.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I’ve been using CarPlay in my GLS 17 model for more than a year and haven’t experience a single one of the issues you listed about the nav system. What model iPhone are you even using?
Old 11-23-2017, 11:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 GLS 550 & 2016 SLK300
JoeMa, the reasons listed by rorywquin are very similar to why I don't care for carplay (navigation challenges). For reference iPhone 7 plus on whatever latest update. The music plays fine whether using bluetooth or non carplay usb slot. To dial I wear apple watch 3, turn wrist tell siri to call whomever, that dials on watch then soon as answered it switches to the car speakers and mic for remainder of the call. I am still able to see text messages on MB screen and again talk to watch for the few times I have sent messages driving (I try to stay focused on driving and not playing with toys).

Everyone has their methods and know what works for them. This forum has taught me a ton from everyone doing things different ways and being professional enough to understand there are differing opinions on things.

For those in USA, Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-2017, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GeneralToner, the original post is a legitimate question but quickly lead to CarPlay bashing. I've been a professional programmer for years and appreciate what it takes to produce software like CarPlay and when I read 'CarPlay sucks', I naturally want to defend the developers. And I would add that bashing CarPlay adds little to the conversation. Social media (and forums) tends to be negative these days so I shouldn't be surprised. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:32 AM

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
2021 GLE53 AMG
I’ve been using CarPlay in my GLS 17 model for more than a year and haven’t experience a single one of the issues you listed about the nav system. What model iPhone are you even using?
JoeMa, it sounds like the poster is using an older version of iOS. I used to have some of the same complaints and I didn’t use CarPlay for a long time, but many of those things have been addressed. Once I tried it again (after not using it for a while), I noticed that lane arrows, counting down to the turn etc. have all been incorporated in the updates to iOS (iOS 11 to be specific).

At the same time I realize everyone has their personal preference. I bring it up just so people know it has changed a lot and might be worth another look. I personally wouldn’t want to go back to the stock navigation as I really enjoy CarPlay now for some of the same reasons you listed, but also because the maps are always up to date, the traffic confiditons seem more current and you use your phone all the time and it’s so easy to continue that in the car too.
The following users liked this post:
JoeMa (11-24-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,056 Likes on 697 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
GeneralToner, the original post is a legitimate question but quickly lead to CarPlay bashing. I've been a professional programmer for years and appreciate what it takes to produce software like CarPlay and when I read 'CarPlay sucks', I naturally want to defend the developers. And I would add that bashing CarPlay adds little to the conversation. Social media (and forums) tends to be negative these days so I shouldn't be surprised. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.
Both andriod and apple car play suck. Why suffer with inferirior add on interfaces when you just spent 100k on a vehicle that has a better integrated more refined one. Everytime I use google maps for navigation Im amazed how bad it is. You would expect that the masters of all maps would offer a decent navigation system, but it happens that thrre is a lot more to a good navigation system than just knowing all the roads. The big difference is having the maps instantly available rather than constantly streaming through a much slower internet connection. Furtheremore phones dont have inertial navigation to backup the GPS signal, thus, the car has a much more solid idea of where it is at all times. Even listening to music thruogh blutooth is much simpler than fiddling with any add on system. It maybe geewiz but hardly an improvement.
The following users liked this post:
rorywquin (11-25-2017)