GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

road rage... or jealousy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 07:27 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 GLS 450
road rage... or jealousy?

So today I was stuck in Chicago traffic with lots of road closures due to a an upcoming marathon. The traffic was moving super slow from traffic light to traffic light and I noticed a Nissan Rogue in the lane next to me not keeping up with the cars in front, leaving a big gap. I took a closer look and of course the driver (a black girl with yellow painted finger nails) was busy with her phone. A few minutes later I switched into that Nissan Rogues lane to get around a bus and the girl started honking at me like I had cut her off which I didn't. I opened the door and was like "what?!" and she kept honking and showed me her middle finger. I returned the gesture and kept moving on. I kept an eye on her in the rear view mirror and then she moved over to the right lane and while driving by she threw food or something out of her window against my car. Let me say that my GLS450 has less than 300 miles on the odometer and I was contemplating taking it even out of the garage today because rain was in the forecast... and this F*** B*** throws something at it!! At the next traffic light my copilot and I jumped out of the car and banged at her window full of anger, I swear I wanted to slap her face but of course she didn't open. My copilot then tried to stop her by standing in front of that Nissan and she started moving and took the next side street to get away.
I have to say that I'm really glad that nobody, especially my copilot didn't get hurt and this whole event was just stupid but I'm starting to wonder... is that how people react when you drive a nice car?? I guess next time I won't return the gesture but take a picture of the license plate instead!
Old 10-07-2017, 08:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
You’ve got road rage issues too ... getting out and smacking her window, having your “copilot” stand in front of the Nissan?

yeah bro ... it’s all in your head ... people don’t give a sh-t about your Benz and if you think they do, that’s in your head.

stay in your car and stop doing silly stuff. The louder the nail polish the less they give a crap about starting something with you. You should know better

not all black people are mindless idiots... some white people can be crazy too... think Las Vegas
The following 3 users liked this post by PeterUbers:
hyperion667 (10-07-2017), Ludedude (10-08-2017), Neurobit (11-13-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 09:02 PM

2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
You’ve got road rage issues too ... getting out and smacking her window, having your “copilot” stand in front of the Nissan?

yeah bro ... it’s all in your head ... people don’t give a sh-t about your Benz and if you think they do, that’s in your head.

stay in your car and stop doing silly stuff. The louder the nail polish the less they give a crap about starting something with you. You should know better

not all black people are mindless idiots... some white people can be crazy too... think Las Vegas
Would you stay calm if someone threw stuff at your E63S? Trust me I don't think that all black people are mindless idiots, don't know how you came up with that. Our current and last president are perfect examples that class has nothing to do with color!

Last edited by Strafzettel; 10-07-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:21 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Holy crap man, don't ever get out and confront someone like that! WTF were you thinking? NOT trying to be a dick, but really........you don't know what that lady was on or doing..........bad choice......
Old 10-07-2017, 10:26 PM

2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by hyperion667
Holy crap man, don't ever get out and confront someone like that! WTF were you thinking? NOT trying to be a dick, but really........you don't know what that lady was on or doing..........bad choice......
Yeah, I heard that one before... I keep forgetting how easy it is in this country to get guns
Old 10-08-2017, 02:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by Strafzettel
Trust me I don't think that all black people are mindless idiots, don't know how you came up with that.
Maybe you did not mean to imply that but this did, "I took a closer look and of course the driver (a black girl with yellow painted finger nails) was busy with her phone".

A better way to say this and ensure not to offend someone would be, "I took a closer look and of course the driver was busy with their phone." Leave the descriptions out.

Peace!
Old 10-08-2017, 04:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 GL350
So you opened the door to confrontthis person and raise the level of conflict after a "honk"? And then got something thrown at your car out of perceived "jealousy." Stay in your car, give a friendly wave and continue on with your life. #coolstorybro
Old 10-08-2017, 05:30 PM

2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by tate16t
Maybe you did not mean to imply that but this did, "I took a closer look and of course the driver (a black girl with yellow painted finger nails) was busy with her phone".

A better way to say this and ensure not to offend someone would be, "I took a closer look and of course the driver was busy with their phone." Leave the descriptions out.

Peace!
You are right, I knew that someone might be offended if I describe the situation as it was. Don't you think there is something wrong with that?
Old 10-08-2017, 05:51 PM

2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by Knowlegeable1
So you opened the door to confrontthis person and raise the level of conflict after a "honk"? And then got something thrown at your car out of perceived "jealousy." Stay in your car, give a friendly wave and continue on with your life. #coolstorybro
It was not just "a honk", she kept honking like a crazy person and I got annoyed by it. I had been sitting in traffic too and I'm sure everybody was tired of it but that doesn't give anyone the right to let his aggressions out on someone else. The jealousy thing came to my mind later because I've never had anything thrown at me when I was driving Toyotas. I thought maybe some other people in this forum have experienced weird behavior too and would share some stories but so far the census seem to be that I deserved what happened. BTW I had to get the car washed today because most of the passenger door was covered in sticky leftover of what I assume was a smoothy.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:25 PM

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts
2014 C63 Coupe
Billy badass jumps out of a car and starts banging on my window, guess what I'm going for...

Mind your own business and you won't get shot. Good words to live by.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:21 AM

2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by Ludedude
Billy badass jumps out of a car and starts banging on my window, guess what I'm going for...

Mind your own business and you won't get shot. Good words to live by.
I appreciate the advice about the chance of people having guns... not something I ever had to worry about growing up in Germany.
I'm a little bummed about the fact that nobody is siding with me how the whole thing started and the fact that I freaked out because that girl threw something at my brand new car... I thought that I was with like minded people here!
Old 10-09-2017, 01:55 AM

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 E350 Wagon
It was a gal who got angry and did the wrong thing. You and your buddy tried to make it worse. What if her window was open? You and your co-pilot would beat her or something? Stay cool and don't make the rest of us look bad.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:57 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
You drive a Benz, grew up in Europe and actually stooped to this persons level.........so what a smoothie? True enough she was a cu#t to throw it......but she brought you right down to her level......someone threw some sweet tea at me once because I didn't get ALL excited about my own car like he was. But I didn't wig out about it.......I washed it off and laughed about the story with some guys at the shop (where I was headed that day)
Old 10-09-2017, 12:32 PM

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts
2014 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by Strafzettel
I appreciate the advice about the chance of people having guns... not something I ever had to worry about growing up in Germany.
I'm a little bummed about the fact that nobody is siding with me how the whole thing started and the fact that I freaked out because that girl threw something at my brand new car... I thought that I was with like minded people here!
Would you do such a thing in your home country? By getting out of the car and acting out, you put yourself in the wrong. No one here will condone that type of behavior or applaud you for it.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:07 PM

2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by Ludedude
Would you do such a thing in your home country? By getting out of the car and acting out, you put yourself in the wrong. No one here will condone that type of behavior or applaud you for it.
People do stuff when they sit in their cars that they would never do if they were standing in front of you, it's like a false sense of security inside the car. A face to face conversation helps getting someone back to reality and making them realize that they are dealing with a person. Yes I shouldn't have banged on her window but I wonder how many of you would actually manage to stay calm in that situation, it's easy to say when you read about it sitting in front of your computer but it feels totally different when you are in that situation. "Would you do such a thing in your home country?" sounds like I'm here on a drinking vacation but this is my home now and yes I would have a face to face argument with someone in Germany, I've seen that many times but I've never seen anyone pulling out a gun.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 GL350
Been on both sides of the coin (depending on the day). I drive both a GL350 and a Hyundai Genesis (yes Hyundai). IMO, the car doesn't have as much to do with it, as the driver. Today a 5 series BMW tried
to ram my Gl so he could turn first as opposed to giving me the right of way. My experience is that most drivers suffer from the 'dog seeing a fire hydrant' mentality. They simply can't help themselves. Its boils down to a simple lack of respect for fellow human beings, even if one party makes a mistake and admits it. I've also lost my temper, if a particuliar bad day, with other drivers, but usually the root of that was some form of disrespect, and not necessarily toward me. Don't misinterpret, I'm not looking for any special treatment when I am on the road, but I do not have much patience or tolerance for oblivious drivers either. Be respectful and mindful of all others on the road. We live in a 'me' world. If I want to drive in the passing lane because it's convenient for me, then I am
entitled to no matter how many people I hold up, etc etc. (just my two cents)
Old 10-10-2017, 09:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 GL350
Been on both sides of the coin (depending on the day). I drive both a GL350 and a Hyundai Genesis (yes Hyundai). IMO, the car doesn't have as much to do with it, as the driver. Today a 5 series BMW tried
to ram my Gl so he could turn first as opposed to giving me the right of way. My experience is that most drivers suffer from the 'dog seeing a fire hydrant' mentality. They simply can't help themselves. Its boils down to a simple lack of respect for fellow human beings, even if one party makes a mistake and admits it. I've also lost my temper, if a particuliar bad day, with other drivers, but usually the root of that was some form of disrespect, and not necessarily toward me. Don't misinterpret, I'm not looking for any special treatment when I am on the road, but I do not have much patience or tolerance for oblivious drivers either. Be respectful and mindful of all others on the road. We live in a 'me' world. If I want to drive in the passing lane because it's convenient for me, then I am
entitled to no matter how many people I hold up, etc etc. (just my two cents)
Old 10-11-2017, 04:14 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
GLS350d
Just because you drive an MB doesn’t make you more superior than other human beings.

You could have be been driving a $10k car and got the same reaction from the other driver.

It’s all in your mind.and wishful thinking they are jealous.

Be humble and grateful .
Old 11-27-2017, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Straffzettel....

I have to say your reaction is a very European thing to do....I'm from a little lowland country next door.
Hi neighbor!

Whilst I understand and get your frusteration at the honk.....remember schadenfreude ....its probably why you got that smoothie chucked at you in the first place.

Also definitely not worth the risk...hassle...and everything associated with getting out of the car. best to de-escalate; take a breather and give an over the top smile and wave to that person.
Be the bigger person! in the bigger car

Proost!
Old 11-27-2017, 09:05 PM

2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by kombifan
Straffzettel....

I have to say your reaction is a very European thing to do....I'm from a little lowland country next door.
Hi neighbor!

Whilst I understand and get your frusteration at the honk.....remember schadenfreude ....its probably why you got that smoothie chucked at you in the first place.

Also definitely not worth the risk...hassle...and everything associated with getting out of the car. best to de-escalate; take a breather and give an over the top smile and wave to that person.
Be the bigger person! in the bigger car

Proost!
"Be the bigger person! in the bigger car" that's a good one! Thank you for your understanding, maybe we Europeans react differently because we are not used to people running around with guns??
I can't promise that I won't get upset if something similar happened again but I learned from that experience and people's reaction to my story.

Are you from Holland? I see you are in Bethesda, I lived there too for 2 years.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
How did I miss this hilarious thread from over a month ago. You got out of your car , you thought it had something to do with the car you were driving
Note to self, don't ever.....ever....ever, ever, ever, ever get out of the car.
Now I have a question, is it common that people in Germany (or European countries) get out and confront other drivers? If so, I'm not sure what I'm more amazed at!
Being in law enforcement in the past, I can promise you there are a lot of people carrying guns (properly with a permit) but most will not act like that lady did to make the situation worse, but if you get out of the car and act like you did, it could end worse. Be careful and stay calm next time.

Last edited by BACnMercedes; 11-28-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:22 PM

2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
How did I miss this hilarious thread from over a month ago. You got out of your car , you thought it had something to do with the car you were driving
Note to self, don't ever.....ever....ever, ever, ever, ever get out of the car.
Now I have a question, is it common that people in Germany (or European countries) get out and confront other drivers? If so, I'm not sure what I'm more amazed at!
Being in law enforcement in the past, I can promise you there are a lot of people carrying guns (properly with a permit) but most will not act like that lady did to make the situation worse, but if you get out of the car and act like you did, it could end worse. Be careful and stay calm next time.
Things are in fact very different in Germany for example if you run a red light your license is gone for a month. I see people running red lights here in Chicago everyday, even the cops do it even when they don't seem to be in a hurry otherwise. I remember a lady sitting in the backseat of our 190E (long time ago) and she said something like "all Mercedes drivers are a**holes" not realizing that she was sitting in a Mercedes, so at least in Germany there are definitely people that have an opinion about you based on what you drive.

I'll try not to jump out of my car in future... that lady was stupid and I let her drag me down to that stupidity level
Old 11-29-2017, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
It is quite different. I'm back and forth between DC and W Europe quite often and the stark contrast is always something that gets me whenever I'm in either place again.

Its not that confrontation is so common in European countries; its just that people are more likely to call people out on their behavior.
and since the possibility of extreme violence or even getting shot are non-existent it usually no big deal!

If you act like an ***, dress like an *** and otherwise behave like an ***; you will get called out for being an ***.....
Which is why if you drive a very expensive car and break down; you will receive celebratory honks congratualating you on your achievement. lol
So...Don't expect to be left alone in the security of your bubble....

Its good natured joshing that I have experienced; which makes you more confident and humble; and on the whole when people have made it through busting your ***** and they see you've grinned your teeth through it and taken it in stride; W. Europeans will still for the most part still lend a hand, have a laugh and share a drink....

That being said I agree with Strafzettel. Road etiquette is something I miss being stateside...
being someone who goes out of their way to pass on the left, the most infuriating thing is to find a minivan or pensioner driving 50 in the left lane stay right!
Or the weaving....
turn signals...heard of them?....
driving without lights...hello! I'm flashing my brights at you for a reason!
or even better....getting mad when Ive flashed you for driving with your brights on for the last 2 miles..

But strafzettel...i think those mercedes a**holes have transitioned to being audi and bmw drivers...oh and range rovers too...lol
The following users liked this post:
Strafzettel (11-29-2017)