GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Lost key and booklet during transit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 04:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2023 EQE 350 SUV, 2020 Tesla M3, Had 2018 GLS 450, 2015 GL350, 2003 C320
Lost key and booklet during transit

Picked up a new GLS450, however the car only came with one key. The dealer had the car shipped from another state and stated that the shipper lost the second key and booklet during transit. I'm concerned about theft or some other nefarious act. Is there anything in the booklet to allow anyone trace the car back to me via mbrace or MB Owner. The dealer is ordering a new key and booklet. Do I have concerns to be worried? Any suggestions on the actions I should take?
Old 12-16-2017, 05:05 PM

Received 201 Likes on 143 Posts
2021 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by practicaldad
Picked up a new GLS450, however the car only came with one key. The dealer had the car shipped from another state and stated that the shipper lost the second key and booklet during transit. I'm concerned about theft or some other nefarious act. Is there anything in the booklet to allow anyone trace the car back to me via mbrace or MB Owner. The dealer is ordering a new key and booklet. Do I have concerns to be worried? Any suggestions on the actions I should take?
I wouldn't worry. The key and MBrace are not tied like that. I'd be more worried if your online account was compromised. Since the key is physical, you're good to go.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Whether the originating dealer - or the shipper - misplaced the Owner's Manual/Biner and 2nd Key - who know's - my experience the shipping dealer "forgot" it.

No worries either way - your dealer is doing the right thing - the Owner's-Manual/Binder has non-VIN stuff in it - no specific info on your rig - and the "lost key" has no identifying marks to tell what rig it goes to - so when either are lost - they're lost and useless.

Your dealer will be paying Mercedes about $180 is dealer cost for Manual/Binder material - which they can take out of any same-model/rig they have on the lot - and use the replacement binder to put in the stock unit they pull it from - and they key is 2nd day delivery - dealer cost is 15% off retail - if this is a pre-owned 2015 - quick programming and you're done - if you have a new 2018 - then programming takes about 1hr... nothing you should be worried about