GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Does everybody get wheels scratched while swapping tires? 🙁

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLS550
Does everybody get wheels scratched while swapping tires? 🙁

Had new winter tires mounted this morning. Now what used to be beautiful wheels have scratches all around the outer side, the part closest to the tire. I caught it after they already scratched both front wheels. I gave them a microfiber towel to put between the wheel and their machine they use for mounting tires. The rear wheels didn't get ruined.

So is this normal? If I left the vehicle and picked it up later they all would be scratched. How do you all deal with this if you change tires? Is it only my tire shop? I had a discussion with owner before them working on it and he assigned his best guy and swore he would be super careful and won't do any damage.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 GL350
You need to find a new tire shop!
Old 12-29-2017, 09:08 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
16 GL550
not normal, i never had that issue. the problem is the shop, they have zero clue on how to protect the wheel when mounting tires.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GLS
Insist they pay to have them refinished. Unacceptable. Happened to me in the past and that is how i handled it. I wouldnt pay for the work until you are made whole.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:14 AM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by fatmatt0116
Insist they pay to have them refinished. Unacceptable. Happened to me in the past and that is how i handled it. I wouldnt pay for the work until you are made whole.
Agree. My tire shop's tire changing machine never touches the wheel rim.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
If you had your tires changed out at MB - then of course that should have never happened - if you had your tires changes at some indie or auto-tire-service chain stores best to start getting a quote on what it will cost to have your wheels repaired - because you want that tire/service store to reimburse you for that cost
Old 12-31-2017, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 703 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Owlet
Had new winter tires mounted this morning. Now what used to be beautiful wheels have scratches all around the outer side, the part closest to the tire. I caught it after they already scratched both front wheels. I gave them a microfiber towel to put between the wheel and their machine they use for mounting tires. The rear wheels didn't get ruined.

So is this normal? If I left the vehicle and picked it up later they all would be scratched. How do you all deal with this if you change tires? Is it only my tire shop? I had a discussion with owner before them working on it and he assigned his best guy and swore he would be super careful and won't do any damage.
Normal, no, common, yes. Dont swap tires, Its also very common to damage the tires bead when removing a tire making it useless. The damage is not visible and one day the tire just fails. Once you mount a tire on a rim it should stay there till its ready to be discarded. As others have already recommended, its easier and safer to have a set that can be swipped.