GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Camera Sensitivity & Auto Lock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 11:18 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
GLS450
Camera Sensitivity & Auto Lock

Is it me or is the camera on the GLS not very sensitive? I have a friend who has a Mazda Cx5 and the camera alerts you if a car is coming down the street when backing out of the driveway. The GLS appears to wait until the car or object is right up on you.

Also, it kills me that the GLS does not auto lock when you exist. Is there a setting I'm over looking?
Old 03-25-2018, 06:31 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2023 EQS 580 SUV
Originally Posted by jerome8283
Is it me or is the camera on the GLS not very sensitive? I have a friend who has a Mazda Cx5 and the camera alerts you if a car is coming down the street when backing out of the driveway. The GLS appears to wait until the car or object is right up on you.

Also, it kills me that the GLS does not auto lock when you exist. Is there a setting I'm over looking?
I don't think the backup camera on your GLS has a rear end collision warning system built in. If you have parking sensors in your bumpers, they will warn you when you get really close to something but they shouldn't alarm you of cars driving by. An auto-lock system could trap a child in a car for example although it may seem convenient, it's probably not the safest feature and I don't think Mercedes has that. I thought that I've read somewhere that if you unlock your car but don't open any doors it would lock itself after a while but I didn't find anything about that when I just looked in the manual, maybe that was with a different car.

Last edited by Strafzettel; 03-25-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLS 450
second - I have a lot of options but was surprised when there was no cross traffic alert! Did I assume wrong?
Old 03-25-2018, 07:28 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2023 EQS 580 SUV
Originally Posted by doc450
second - I have a lot of options but was surprised when there was no cross traffic alert! Did I assume wrong?
Mercedes didn't advertise it anywhere right? I know the new Audi A8 tilts to the side so that the oncoming car would hit the lower, more stable side part but if they did that with SUV's it would make them flip over more easily.
My GLS isn't too bad but my 2014 ML gave me so many false alarms that it really irritated me. I think all these cameras and sensors they put in cars these days are far from reliable.