Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2022, 05:37 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
SL550
Smile Just purchased 2019 CPO GLS550

Hello all,

Just purchase a 2019 CPO GLS550 over the weekend. Car has 51K miles on it:

Seems to be in really good shape. I had a couple of questions I was hoping people could address:
  • There doesn't seem to be anyway to do an OTA update for the navigation system/maps? Looks like that has never bee updated for some reason.
  • After the car sits for a while, the driver side rear suspension sags down way lower than the rest of car; I'm assuming an Aromatic replacement is needed for this (I can post a picture if needed)?
  • When driving at freeway speed, there a pulsing and humming sound coming from what appears to be the front of the car. I can feel it in the steering wheel as well. It's not like a warped rotor scenario when the steering wheels literally shakes but I can feel it. Assuming a wheel bearing needs to be fixed for this?
  • Anything else I should look into?
Thanks for any info!
The following 3 users liked this post by link2377:
chassis (11-27-2022), dblankenbaker (04-26-2023), DoberdadinMD (11-28-2022)
Old 11-27-2022, 07:29 PM

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts
Mayback
Originally Posted by link2377
Hello all,

Seems to be in really good shape. I had a couple of questions I was hoping people could address:
  • There doesn't seem to be anyway to do an OTA update for the navigation system/maps? Looks like that has never bee updated for some reason.
  • After the car sits for a while, the driver side rear suspension sags down way lower than the rest of car; I'm assuming an Aromatic replacement is needed for this (I can post a picture if needed)?
  • When driving at freeway speed, there a pulsing and humming sound coming from what appears to be the front of the car. I can feel it in the steering wheel as well. It's not like a warped rotor scenario when the steering wheels literally shakes but I can feel it. Assuming a wheel bearing needs to be fixed for this?
Thanks for any info!
If it’s a CPO, why not take it back and ask the selling dealer?
Old 11-27-2022, 07:30 PM

SL550
Originally Posted by WillieMack
If it’s a CPO, why not take it back and ask the selling dealer?
They are a 3 hour drive away lol
Old 11-27-2022, 07:35 PM

Mayback
They are a 3 hour drive away lol
oh ok how far away is the closest MB dealer?
Old 11-27-2022, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 373 Likes on 325 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Hello all,

Seems to be in really good shape.
The interior is in stunning condition especially considering it has 51K miles!
Old 11-27-2022, 07:59 PM

SL550
Originally Posted by WillieMack
oh ok how far away is the closest MB dealer?
About an hour. I just like to have some understanding of what the issue might be before I head into a dealership 🙂
Old 11-27-2022, 08:15 PM

Mayback
About an hour. I just like to have some understanding of what the issue might be before I head into a dealership 🙂
Ok I gotcha. That’s a beautiful GLS550 you bought. I have a 2017 GLS550 I bought CPO that had a host of missed issues at time of purchase that I had my selling dealer immediately correct. They were about 45 mins from me tho. That’s why I said contact the selling dealer (even if they are 3 hours away) to let them know of the issues.

Some of those things possibly may not be covered under CPO and you will have to come out of pocket unless you get the selling dealer to take care of them for you (perhaps they will reimburse a dealer closer to you). I would also get corporate Mercedes involved if the selling dealer seems uncooperative. I mean you bought a CPO vehicle so their rigorous “inspection” will come into question. 😎

The update will have to be done at a dealer and most likely be out of pocket.

Also it sounds like an issue or leaks with the rear Airmatic shock or other issue. This is dicey between dealers as it’s unclear by some whether they can get this covered by the CPO warranty or not.

Again, most of your issues probably won’t be covered by the CPO warranty unless you contact that selling dealer and push corporate Mercedes to make this right on a CPO vehicle you just purchased.
Old 11-27-2022, 08:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,936 Likes on 3,099 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Hello all,

Thanks for any info!
Congratulations! Looks great. Love the Designo interior. X166 is rock solid reliable. The air suspension sounds like it needs attention, usually air bags (they are maintenance items), a valve block or compressor. Take action on this as soon as you can because leaking airbags will cause stress on the compressor, creating a potential compressor failure.

Vibration could be failed engine mounts (common), wheel bearings (less common) or driveline joints (halfshaft or propshaft). Do you feel vibration at idle?

No OTA map update. This can be done for around $200 at the dealer, it takes all day because of the ancient technology used to load the map software. Look for coupons on this, I had this done for $120 a year ago with a coupon.
Old 11-27-2022, 08:55 PM

Mayback
Originally Posted by chassis
Congratulations! Looks great. Love the Designo interior. X166 is rock solid reliable. The air suspension sounds like it needs attention, usually air bags (they are maintenance items), a valve block or compressor. Take action on this as soon as you can because leaking airbags will cause stress on the compressor, creating a potential compressor failure.

Vibration could be failed engine mounts (common), wheel bearings (less common) or driveline joints (halfshaft or propshaft). Do you feel vibration at idle?

No OTA map update. This can be done for around $200 at the dealer, it takes all day because of the ancient technology used to load the map software. Look for coupons on this, I had this done for $120 a year ago with a coupon.
I concur my GLS550 is a tank and a beast it feels so solid. I had my engine mounts replaced after vibration at idle with 42,000 miles. After a few other issues and oil leaks were taken care of it has been solid ever since.
Old 11-27-2022, 09:06 PM

SL550
Originally Posted by chassis

Just started it up. Seems like I can feel some vibration at idle in the driver seat; maybe it’s just me being paranoid about it though since you asked lol.