GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Air filter replacement GLS 550 2017

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2023, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLS550
Air filter replacement GLS 550 2017

Hi, looking to replace my air filters on 2017 GLS 550, got the engine covers off and trying to figure out how to remove the air filter boxes. Don't want to break anything so hoping to get some guidance on this. I can't find any previous threads on this or any YouTube videos for this engine. It appears the air boxes need to be removed and flipped upside down to remove the torx screws to open them up and replace the air filters.

Anyone have a video or instructions on how to do this? Thank you so much!
John in Connecticut
2017 GLS550
Old 06-23-2023, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,065 Likes on 854 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
The following users liked this post:
Mort (06-23-2023)
Old 06-24-2023, 09:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
GLS550
Originally Posted by Boulz
Hi, looking to replace my air filters on 2017 GLS 550, got the engine covers off and trying to figure out how to remove the air filter boxes. Don't want to break anything so hoping to get some guidance on this. I can't find any previous threads on this or any YouTube videos for this engine. It appears the air boxes need to be removed and flipped upside down to remove the torx screws to open them up and replace the air filters.

Anyone have a video or instructions on how to do this? Thank you so much!
John in Connecticut
2017 GLS550
John, I recently did mine after lamenting the lack of information about it. The filter box on the left (as viewed from the front looking into the engine bay) can be removed. Just one electrical clip IIRC. Now, the one on the right (the driver's side) is a different beast. I finally realized that the trick is to NOT REMOVE IT! Once the air duct is disconnected from the front, you can gently tip (or twist) it toward the passenger side enough to get the screws loose without having to disconnect that one problem hose. The side of the filter canister that is closest to the driver's side front tire will go counterclockwise about 45 to 60 degrees which will be enough to loosen the screws!

It is a bit of a challenge but if you've turned wrenches before you'll be fine. This is one of those times that being slow, methodical, and patient will serve you well.

I didn't think it was possible and I was ready to cut that compression band off that one hose but it works. It is a very satisfying task if you take your time and just look closely.

I'm giving you permission to crack a nice, cold, frothy brewski when you're done. Cheers!
Old 11-01-2023, 12:01 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2013 SL550 Edition 1 and 2017 GLS 550
Hi Clarkpitman,

Posting this way late!

I had the same exact experience you did. It was a real pain to get the right box unhooked. I was ready to cut or break the clip and it drove me nuts before I finally figured. It out. You can’t see back there to the clip so it’s very frustrating. Once you know how to do it, it’s straightforward, but still a pain!!