GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Ride and Steering "Float"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w166, s222
Ride and Steering "Float"

Hopefully, someone can help me understand a fix for this actual/perceived problem.

I own a 2017 X166 GLS450 4matic with tire sizes 275/55R19. I keep the tire pressure at the prescribed 32 PSI all around. I've kept replacing the tires with the same size and brand (Continental) and have had an alignment every 10,000 miles.

After the last alignment, I felt the truck was less “planted” and it fells like it wants to wander within a lane more. This requires more attention to the steering and lots of minute steering inputs and corrections to keep it in the lane. When talking with my service advisor about the issue, they indicate that it is a tire wear issue and can be corrected with new tires.
I find the truck less fun to drive and have less confidence in its abilities. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a way to correct this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-21-2024, 12:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,935 Likes on 3,099 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Wait!What?
Hopefully, someone can help me understand a fix for this actual/perceived problem.

I own a 2017 X166 GLS450 4matic with tire sizes 275/55R19. I keep the tire pressure at the prescribed 32 PSI all around. I've kept replacing the tires with the same size and brand (Continental) and have had an alignment every 10,000 miles.

After the last alignment, I felt the truck was less “planted” and it fells like it wants to wander within a lane more. This requires more attention to the steering and lots of minute steering inputs and corrections to keep it in the lane. When talking with my service advisor about the issue, they indicate that it is a tire wear issue and can be corrected with new tires.
I find the truck less fun to drive and have less confidence in its abilities. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a way to correct this?

Thanks in advance.
Aligning every 10k miles is asking for problems in the form of incorrect work done (errors) and worn adjusting threaded elements. I have never had a car aligned in my life.

166 is a floaty pillow. It’s the way it is. If that’s not what you want sell it and buy an AMG, M-, or Porsche.
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (03-22-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 262 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
Originally Posted by Wait!What?
After the last alignment, I felt the truck was less “planted” and it fells like it wants to wander within a lane more.
If you first noticed it immediately after the alignment, then take it back and have them re-do the alignment, or, take it somewhere else. Tires don't go from good to worn out while the car sits on the alignment rack.