GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Please help fellow x166rs….no audio problems.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2024, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Mercedes Benz GLS550
Please help fellow x166rs….no audio problems.

So brand new to the brand and forum. I’ve been reading and lurking around seems like a great forum. Just into a new to us 17 GLS550 and earlier today while driving around made a Bluetooth phone call, all was great. Disconnected from the phone and my BT music would not play, switched over to radio and same issue no audio. Everything seems to be working except no audio. Get to the store turn off vehicle for about 1hr then on the drive home radio randomly starts to work again. But wouldn’t you know with in the 15 minute drive home it all stopped working again. Checked all the fuses none are blown out, double checked that it is not muted, connected to the MBrace line and I could hear out of car speakers. But again no other media would play sound. Please help!! I’ve read it could be the amp, the radio, the interface media module. Don’t know where to start, I live in a smallish town in Texas…nearest stealership is 2 hrs away. I am pretty handy with tools and voltmeters, just not familiar with MB way of engineering and set ups. Thanks in advance!!
Old 01-27-2024, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 262 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
This probably isn't your issue, but I've had a couple of times where I had to hang up the phone on the phone itself to get it to "release". Hasn't happened recently. I suspect it has to do with updates to the phone. It's worth a try, if it happens to you again.
Old 01-27-2024, 11:02 PM

@JohnCC

I’m pretty confident that it is something in the vehicle. As it started to work fine for a couple minutes and then boom back to literal radio silence. I also tried the radio while car was on but no devices connected to vehicle and same results; no audio.
Old 01-28-2024, 02:56 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
GLS 450
I had a 2018 GLS and had lots of bluetooth weirdness. For one thing only one bluetooth connection is possible at a time. So when my son wanted to play music from his phone via the car, I had to turn bluetooth off on my phone. Don't know if you have other passengers with phones when you had your issue. Also I assume you tried deleting your phone from the car's bluetooth settings and then re-paired it, but worth a try.

Does the radio ever stop playing when there is no bluetooth device connected? Testing that would help you figure out if it a car problem vs a bluetooth problem.

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2024, 08:08 PM

@wyatt88

Thanks for your suggestions, I did try disconnecting all devices and still no audio out of any setting. No radio audio, no BT audio, no nav audio, no cd audio. To add to this situation, this morning we get in the car and we have audio on everything then literally 5 minutes into drive it just shuts off. I’m 100% sure it’s a vehicle problem not device problem. I ordered a fiber optic loop bypass to help me work through this. If anyone has any suggestions as to where to start I would appreciate it immensely.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

First I'd scan it for codes.
Old 01-28-2024, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by John CC
First I'd scan it for codes.
Sorry for my ignorance, but as mentioned before I am new to the mb brand. Is there a scan I can perform that is not through the obd on these vehicles? Or what scan are you referring to?
Old 01-29-2024, 10:59 AM
jpj

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 S350 & 2017 GLS450
I am currently having same issue with 2017 GLS450. Been fighting it for 4 months, first occasional loss of audio but now no audio for a month. Dealer pissed around with it for a few days and got nowhere. I even had a used 100% functioning head unit coded to my GLS and still no audio with it. Supposedly a TIPS case was started with Mercedes but it's been 2 weeks and haven't heard anything. Mine is not a Harmon Kardon sytem with an amplifier.
Old 01-29-2024, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by jpj
I am currently having same issue with 2017 GLS450. Been fighting it for 4 months, first occasional loss of audio but now no audio for a month. Dealer pissed around with it for a few days and got nowhere. I even had a used 100% functioning head unit coded to my GLS and still no audio with it. Supposedly a TIPS case was started with Mercedes but it's been 2 weeks and haven't heard anything. Mine is not a Harmon Kardon sytem with an amplifier.

Oh wow not something I wanted to hear. Yea mine just started the day I posted this. If I figure anything out I will definitely update the post hear.
Old 01-29-2024, 01:09 PM
jpj

2012 S350 & 2017 GLS450
Same here. Going to try to get it back to the dealer later this week.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ItsMrG
Is there a scan I can perform that is not through the obd on these vehicles? Or what scan are you referring to?
It's through the ODB port, but you probably need a Mercedes savvy scanner to get info on the entertainment system.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by John CC
It's through the ODB port, but you probably need a Mercedes savvy scanner to get info on the entertainment system.

Ok thank you, I’ll have to double check if my snap on scanner offers that function.
Old 02-07-2024, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by jpj
Same here. Going to try to get it back to the dealer later this week.

Any update on your problem? I have an appt with a shop tomorrow. Since I am 2hrs away from nearest MB I’m going to try this local shop before bitting the bullet and going to MB.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:30 AM
jpj

2012 S350 & 2017 GLS450
No, my dealer is terrible. I'm going to try to figure it out myself.
Old 03-06-2024, 05:44 PM

Issued resolved!!

After looking and looking I finally got to the amp and Sirius module that are located under the driver seat floor. Once I opened the compartment they sit in…bad news…. It was holding water. Great way to find out my front left sunroof drain tube was plugged!! After clearing that back to the audio problem. The Sirius module was rusted, ordered one from eBay that had the same
part number. Installed it powered it on and boom all audio functions working now. No reprogramming needed complete plug and play! But now my airbag light is on!! Looking for recommendations on a scanner for this 17 gls550.

Old 03-25-2024, 12:30 AM

2017 GLS 550
Originally Posted by ItsMrG
After looking and looking I finally got to the amp and Sirius module that are located under the driver seat floor. Once I opened the compartment they sit in…bad news…. It was holding water. Great way to find out my front left sunroof drain tube was plugged!! After clearing that back to the audio problem. The Sirius module was rusted, ordered one from eBay that had the same
part number. Installed it powered it on and boom all audio functions working now. No reprogramming needed complete plug and play! But now my airbag light is on!! Looking for recommendations on a scanner for this 17 gls550.

I have a similar problem and I'm wondering if your solution would work for me as well. My radio stopped working, or better to say it got stock on a last played station. The screen went blank too, and so all settings controlled by the center console knob and mouse are dead as well. The radio turns off by itself every few minutes and stays off for 3-4 seconds and then turns on by itself again. I can't change the station and sometimes I can't turn it off either. I can lover the value on the ON bottom or on the steering wheel volume controller bottoms. I took the vehicle to MB Dealer here in Iowa and after a $220 diagnostic they told me that I need a new radio assembly. The price for a rebuilt radio including the installation and programing they said is $6400. Unbelievable. Used radios are available on eBay for around $1000 but the dealer said that they wouldn't program it unless the radio is purchased through them, so I feel stuck. Please help, anyone? I heard about the Android 12" radio upgrade, but I'm wondering if that would fix my problem as it's not just about the radio, but all other functions, such as vehicle settings etc. that go through the screen, which is controlled by the radio. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-25-2024, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by GLSFAN
I have a similar problem and I'm wondering if your solution would work for me as well. My radio stopped working, or better to say it got stock on a last played station. The screen went blank too, and so all settings controlled by the center console knob and mouse are dead as well. The radio turns off by itself every few minutes and stays off for 3-4 seconds and then turns on by itself again. I can't change the station and sometimes I can't turn it off either. I can lover the value on the ON bottom or on the steering wheel volume controller bottoms. I took the vehicle to MB Dealer here in Iowa and after a $220 diagnostic they told me that I need a new radio assembly. The price for a rebuilt radio including the installation and programing they said is $6400. Unbelievable. Used radios are available on eBay for around $1000 but the dealer said that they wouldn't program it unless the radio is purchased through them, so I feel stuck. Please help, anyone? I heard about the Android 12" radio upgrade, but I'm wondering if that would fix my problem as it's not just about the radio, but all other functions, such as vehicle settings etc. that go through the screen, which is controlled by the radio. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!
Your problem is a bit different from what I had. I had only lost volume, everything else worked every command would function I just couldn’t hear anything. Under the driver seat at least in my vehicle 17’ GLs550 was my amp and Sirius control module. When I called my dealer here in Tx and asked if that module needed to get programmed they said it showed it did require programming. After verifying they would do it if I replaced it myself with a module I bought elsewhere I went for it. Thankfully after replacing it and turning the vehicle on everything worked. I just made sure I eBay the exact same part number not any upgraded version. I have heard of these radios having an antitheft code but not sure on the reprogramming. Not sure how accessible another dealer is from you, but maybe worth and calling and asking if they would reprogram. I don’t want to tell you to just try it and it indeed needs programming, there could be a chance it doesn’t need it. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help to you. Good luck and keep us posted. I love knowledge.