GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Should I keep the GLS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2024, 02:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLS550
Question Should I keep the GLS?

I have a 2017 GLS 550 with about 127K miles on it. I've keep the maintenance up to date with oil changes every 7-9k miles, replaced spark plugs and radiator at 110k. I was recommended the following items which will approximately cost around 8k.

1. Upper Timing Cover Reseal
2. Remove & Replace Drive Belt and Idler Pulley
3. Remove & Replace Water Pump and Turbo Coolant
4. Remove & Replace Suspension Control Arm Bushings
5. Probably would need to replace brakes soon

My thoughts:

1. I would love to keep it. It's an amazing car.
2. Is it worth putting money in to get everything fixed? My concern are other issues that might come up after this.
3. Does anyone have a high mileage GLS 550 and what are your recommendations.
Old 09-16-2024, 09:38 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
E320
Hey gls_lover, I understand the dilemma you're facing with your GLS 550. At 127K miles, it's normal for some major components to start needing attention, especially if you've been diligent with maintenance. Investing in those repairs could extend the life of your vehicle, but there's always the risk that other issues might emerge down the road. I've seen high-mileage GLS models hold up well with timely maintenance, but it's a bit of a gamble whether it's worth the current investment versus putting that money towards a newer vehicle.

Old 09-16-2024, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,093 Likes on 880 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by gls_lover
I have a 2017 GLS 550 with about 127K miles on it. I've keep the maintenance up to date with oil changes every 7-9k miles, replaced spark plugs and radiator at 110k. I was recommended the following items which will approximately cost around 8k.

1. Upper Timing Cover Reseal
2. Remove & Replace Drive Belt and Idler Pulley
3. Remove & Replace Water Pump and Turbo Coolant
4. Remove & Replace Suspension Control Arm Bushings
5. Probably would need to replace brakes soon

My thoughts:

1. I would love to keep it. It's an amazing car.
2. Is it worth putting money in to get everything fixed? My concern are other issues that might come up after this.
3. Does anyone have a high mileage GLS 550 and what are your recommendations.
Is the timing cover leaking? If not, I wouldn't bother. The rest of the list is good preventative maintenance as are the engine mounts. I would get a quote from an independent and use the difference to buy an Alaskan cruise.
The following users liked this post:
Boraxo (09-16-2024)
Old 09-16-2024, 12:29 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
2017 GLS 550
From what I've heard, the turbos will need to be replaced soon at that mileage. And it's a big job, apparently the motor has to get pulled.
Old 09-16-2024, 02:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
GLS450
Ask your mechanic which items are the highest priority and go from there. Often you can defer some of the less critical items. Keep in mind Benz service advisor have no conception of price or budgeting and will just send you a laundry list as they are compensated on what they sell. A good indy mechanic can advise on what items are urgent.

$8k at once is a lot, but $4k a year not so much for German cars at this mileage. Keep in mind a new vehicle will cost you $100k. I have yet to see any critical new safety or luxury features that would require me to upgrade. Would love to have appleplay but the bluetooth works just fine.

Originally Posted by FWP!
From what I've heard, the turbos will need to be replaced soon at that mileage. And it's a big job, apparently the motor has to get pulled.
Yes we got a fault code for turbos (110k mi) but they seem to be doing ok.