GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Brand New GLS 580 broken at 79 miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 01:14 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 Chevy SS, 2018 GLA250, 2020 GLS580
Originally Posted by rob.anderson
Interesting thread.... This past Christmas I bought the new GLS63 for my wife. The car has less than 800 miles on it and it has been in the dealers shop for 4 weeks due to the "check engine light" being on. The first diagnostic was that "we" ran it low on gas and sucked air into the fuel line. Interesting since we had only put two tanks of fuel in it and the fuel level has never been below 1/4 tank. Further diagnostic by the dealer now indicates miss fires on cylinder #1. They replaced the injector and still no remedy for the "check engine light". Currently they are smoke testing the turbos (not sure what that means). I am remaining patient for a another week if it is not resolved, intend to ask for my money back and they can sell the GLS63 to the next sucker.

As far as Mercedes and quality, my opinion is that they are HORRIBLE! My wife has driven Mercedes for the past 23 years. We alway buy new and everyone of them has had more than normal repair issues ranging from failing fuel pumps to replacing an E63 engine at 15,000 miles due to "porosity" in the block casting. Hoping this instance is good enough to get my wife to consider another brand vehicle.
I vaguely remember seeing some similar report in another thread (or maybe this one) about a check engine light and the same mention of an injector. May want to look for that.

The "turbo smoke test" likely involves connecting a smoke machine to the intake tubing system of the turbo and pressuring to check for boost leaks, which can often cause all sorts of unpredictable ignition issues (i.e. cylinder misfire).

I haven't checked any "data" but the general feeling I'm getting lately is that a higher percentage of the AMG GLS models are not right from the factory. Wondering if it's because it's technically a first year for that model.