GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

New Member few Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 01:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 GLS
New Member few Questions

Just bought a new GLS for my wife, so far we're loving it coming from a CX5.
- Warmth & Comfort Package
- Driver Assistance Package PLUS
-
Espresso Brown/Magma Grey leather

Wish I could have found a local one with convivence package as well, but no luck. The main thing we wanted was the adaptive cruise so we made the Driver Assistance package the main priority. I really do not like the plastic cladding on the exterior, but couldn't justify the 580 for a family car. It seems the plastic is a US based thing and you can get the 450 with painted side trim outside of the US. Insane they'd put this on a SUV of this price point to begin with.

Current plans are PPF on front and with weathertech's throughout. They threw in the all season mats; coverage is terrible so we'll see how weathertech's fare.

I do have a few questions maybe someone has the answers to.
1. Is there anyway to turn off the speed limit assistance? this drives me crazy when you're driving down the road, and it picks up the speed limit for the frontage road while I'm on the highway; slows me down to 40 from 75.
2. is the rear hatch foot mode, or whatever its called standard? haven't been able to get this to work.
3. Does anyone have experience with the roof racks? I'm assuming all need the crossbars and the 450 box looks to be the biggest?
4. Does everyone else have to slam their doors to get them to close?

The following users liked this post:
Just Ducky (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 01:52 AM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2012 E350, 2020 GLS450
Welcome!

I have pretty much the same quirk as you in regards to the trim, but my GLS is black so its better I guess. It did grow on me eventually.

1. Speed limit assist can be turned off in the MBUX settings under the main console screen under "Assistance" I believe.
2. I learned that you have to sweep your leg forward AND backward for it to work most of the time. If you have the trailer hitch then the sensor is on the right side of the hitch, so you gotta kick to the right.
3. Can't help with roof racks as I don't have any, sorry.
4. Doors are heavier than other doors as it makes sense since its a bigger SUV, but I wouldn't say its much heavier than the typical MB doors. I have not noticed that I have to slam the doors, but I also drove MB for years so I might have gotten used to the way MB door shuts. If you came from a CX5 there might be some getting used to but MB is known for its solid doors and its closing sound.
The following users liked this post:
Just Ducky (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 10:30 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 GLS580 all black. 2014 GLK black (kids car). formerly: 2014 GL550 Palladium Silver (US)
I use a Thule system on my older GLS. I have the Xmotion? box and the Thule crossbars. It looks and works great.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:32 AM

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
'20 GLS580, '18 S560
Originally Posted by WBBCP
Just bought a new GLS for my wife, so far we're loving it coming from a CX5.
- Warmth & Comfort Package
- Driver Assistance Package PLUS
-
Espresso Brown/Magma Grey leather

Wish I could have found a local one with convivence package as well, but no luck. The main thing we wanted was the adaptive cruise so we made the Driver Assistance package the main priority. I really do not like the plastic cladding on the exterior, but couldn't justify the 580 for a family car. It seems the plastic is a US based thing and you can get the 450 with painted side trim outside of the US. Insane they'd put this on a SUV of this price point to begin with.

Current plans are PPF on front and with weathertech's throughout. They threw in the all season mats; coverage is terrible so we'll see how weathertech's fare.

1. Is there anyway to turn off the speed limit assistance? this drives me crazy when you're driving down the road, and it picks up the speed limit for the frontage road while I'm on the highway; slows me down to 40 from 75.
2. is the rear hatch foot mode, or whatever its called standard? haven't been able to get this to work.
3. Does anyone have experience with the roof racks? I'm assuming all need the crossbars and the 450 box looks to be the biggest?
1. Speed Limit Assistance can be turned off. I have it turned off from the day one.
2. I did not realize that my X167 has a foot-activated hatch. I have the trailer hitch on mine. didn't realize the sensor is on the right of the hitch. I Gotta try that when I get home. Learned something new today.
3. I already had a Thule slim profile aerodynamic crossbar. it mounts just fine on the root rack, but it interferes with the sunroof. it's not tall enough. I had to get the MB genuine cross bars. not as slick looking, but works perfectely.
4. I have the soft-close option so I can't help you with your question on this one.

do you like the X167 so far?

Old 07-23-2020, 12:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 GLS
Thank you for the information!

I am enjoying the GLS so far! I am more of a BMW guy, but I do not believe in brand loyalty. The X7 really killed itself with how close the captain chairs are, our 4 year old son just walks through the middle; rather than having to move the seat each time. We have 2 baby twins right now in the captain chairs so its a full house

I will have to look at the Thule. does the dealer typically stock the cross bars our do you have to order them?
Old 07-23-2020, 12:07 PM

'20 GLS580, '18 S560

I am enjoying the GLS so far! I am more of a BMW guy, but I do not believe in brand loyalty. The X7 really killed itself with how close the captain chairs are, our 4 year old son just walks through the middle; rather than having to move the seat each time. We have 2 baby twins right now in the captain chairs so its a full house

I will have to look at the Thule. does the dealer typically stock the cross bars our do you have to order them?
I had to order but they came in less than a week.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:17 PM

'20 GLS580, '18 S560

just to clarify. the Thule cross bar (the slim-line aero ones) interferes with Sunroof and you won't be able to use the sunroof.

Old 07-23-2020, 04:53 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
2024 GLS 450
Does it interfere with both the standard sunroof and the panoramic roof?
Old 07-23-2020, 05:23 PM

'20 GLS580, '18 S560
Originally Posted by DM335
Does it interfere with both the standard sunroof and the panoramic roof?
I have the Pano roof.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:35 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 GLS580 all black. 2014 GLK black (kids car). formerly: 2014 GL550 Palladium Silver (US)
I have this; AeroBlade Edge Raised, L. for our GLS 14 580

I can't imagine wanting to open the sunroof with the rooftop on. But we didn't want the box too close to the glass so we got the raised.

Old 08-09-2020, 03:03 PM

Received 172 Likes on 122 Posts
a
1. There are 2 different settings regarding Speed Limit Assist. The first is just for display purposes. Under Settings - Assistance - Traffic Sign Assist. Scroll all the way to the bottom and you'll see "Show in Center Console" Turn this on or off at your preference. There is also the Warning settings which are "Visual & audible" "visual" and "off". These give you a warning when you go over the speed limit and there is a threshold up to 5mph. I keep the warnings off and keep the display on.

The other setting is "Limit Adoption". You want to turn this OFF. This will lock the cruise control to the speed limit. This can be extremely dangerous in the situations you describe where it picks up the wrong speed limit.

4. I've found that any car with an option for Soft-close doors requires a lot of force to close them normally. It makes sense since the doors are heavy which is why they have the option for soft-close. Or if you want to be cynical you could say they make them hard to close on purpose so you'll pay for the option.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2021 GLS450, Lunar Blue Metallic
Good information here...

Thanks,
Old 08-10-2020, 06:04 AM

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts
2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
Regarding the doors, the usual equation F=MA is at play. So having a heavy door is actually an advantage to getting them closed, but it requires more force to move that sort of weight. The main issue that the soft close doors fixes is the amount of insulation they have to use to make a quiet interior. That prevents air escaping and all the rubber slows the door’s inertia, and therefore makes it harder for the door to close fully on its own. My Bentayga always requires the closer assistance.