GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Hardwiring Radar/Dash cam?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GLS580
Hardwiring Radar/Dash cam?

Has anyone wired in a radar or dash cam? Looking for ideas on wiring and fuse locations.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:52 AM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2012 E350, 2020 GLS450
I have hardwired a 2 channel dashcam to my car. Ran it on passenger side roof trim back to the fuse box in the trunk. I also have a backup battery that I put in the spare wheel well. The only thing I have not gotten to yet is taking the trim off of the tailgate as it is posing a challenge to me. I have MB WIS and have looked at the instructions, and from what I can tell we have to take the entire tailgate plastic trim off to get the wire behind it to go up through the hose to the window area. Eventually I will get in there when I have the time to.

There's also a fuse box under the passenger side glove box, but requires taking out a few components in there to access that. If you want a rear camera I recommend you just run the wire back. To do this you can either go through the roof lining or the foot well. Either way you should take off the A pillar to run the cable behind the airbag so it does not get interfered.

It's easy enough to run the cable under the trunk lining from the fuse box to the wheel wheel if you have the external battery too.
The following users liked this post:
bad habit (07-30-2020)
Old 06-11-2021, 09:23 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Originally Posted by SEPicks
I have hardwired a 2 channel dashcam to my car. Ran it on passenger side roof trim back to the fuse box in the trunk. I also have a backup battery that I put in the spare wheel well. The only thing I have not gotten to yet is taking the trim off of the tailgate as it is posing a challenge to me. I have MB WIS and have looked at the instructions, and from what I can tell we have to take the entire tailgate plastic trim off to get the wire behind it to go up through the hose to the window area. Eventually I will get in there when I have the time to.

There's also a fuse box under the passenger side glove box, but requires taking out a few components in there to access that. If you want a rear camera I recommend you just run the wire back. To do this you can either go through the roof lining or the foot well. Either way you should take off the A pillar to run the cable behind the airbag so it does not get interfered.

It's easy enough to run the cable under the trunk lining from the fuse box to the wheel wheel if you have the external battery too.

Why did you decide to tap the fuse box in the rear instead of the fuse box behind the glove box? Was it because you had a backup battery? I do not have a backup battery so intend to just use the front passenger fuse box. Is it difficult to access? Thanks.

Old 06-13-2021, 02:21 AM

2012 E350, 2020 GLS450
Originally Posted by Paxfobiscum
Why did you decide to tap the fuse box in the rear instead of the fuse box behind the glove box? Was it because you had a backup battery? I do not have a backup battery so intend to just use the front passenger fuse box. Is it difficult to access? Thanks.

There were a few reasons why I went to the back instead of the glove box fuse box. I do have a backup battery, but it wasn't the main reason why.

1. I had a rear camera that I had to run a line to the tail gate anyways, so I just ran both lines back and it was easier.

2. The tail gate fuse box is much easier to access than the glove fuse box. I wasn't a fan of bending down under the glove box and taking things apart there when I can just access the rear fuse box directly with a twist of a knob.

If you have only a front dash cam, you don't really need to go to the back if you know how to run the wire into the glove box. It might not be worth the hassle though with the number of parts you have to take apart to access it. I feel its easier to just run the wire to the back, just make sure your wire is long enough.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLS 450
How did you mount the camera and run the wires? Have to remove interior trim?
Old 06-24-2021, 09:23 PM

2012 E350, 2020 GLS450
I ran it through the pillars/roof of the car. I made sure to take the trim off at the pillars so I can wire the lines behind the airbags. I have not done the trunk yet as it is a pain to take the trim off the tailgate. From what I know, a lot of the tailgate have to be taken off to run the wire underneath the trim and I just haven't gotten to it yet.

One thing to make sure is that your wires are long enough for the GLS.