New member with a few questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q7
New member with a few questions

Hello,

I am a Q7 owner who is thinking of getting a GLS. I have never owned a Mercedes before and have a few questions for the GLS crowd.

My primary reason for considering the GLS is that I have 4 kids and use the third row all the time. My Q7 is getting cramped. Those of you who use the third row, have you found it to be user friendly?

As best as I can tell, the main difference between the 450 and 580 is the engine and those dreaded plastic arches on the 450. Am I missing anything? Looking the the local dealer inventory, I see only 450s available. Is there a production problem with the 580s?

Does the GLS come with a spare tire? My Q doesn't and I had a bad experience when I was out in the middle of nowhere and got a flat.

Thx!
Old 08-21-2020, 12:35 PM

Received 170 Likes on 120 Posts
a
The third row is great for kids. If you have 4 kids the 6-seat config would be perfect for you.

The 580 has the AMG styling package and comes with more standard features. Check the MB website and the Order Guide for all the details. It went into production later and they generally sell less than the 450 so stock is low. Some people are still waiting on their 2020 580 orders.

The GLS comes with a spare tire as long as you DON'T get the Burmester 3D sound option.
Old 08-21-2020, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q7
Thanks for replying. Man, no spare with the Burmester? Ugh! How's the stock radio?

Old 08-21-2020, 01:10 PM

Received 170 Likes on 120 Posts
a
The normal sound system is still Burmester just with less speakers. The upgrade costs $5000 and it deletes your spare tire. You really need to take your car audio very very seriously if you want that.
Old 08-21-2020, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 648 Likes on 403 Posts
2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
Personally, I think it’s great without the 3D sound, but I’m long past being an audiophile. The regular sounds like a very high end stereo, and the car is so quiet in general, that it doesn’t take much to be too loud. You’ll just have to give it a listen yourself to see if you like it enough to not want the 3D.

Mine has the 21 inch wheels that are not rotatable as they’re 315 on the back and 275 (I think) On the front. 45 series on the front, 40 series on the back. I debated about getting them over the 20 inch wheels for a few reasons. One - thinner sidewall for less comfort. Two - price to replace. Three - wider contact patch for louder road noise. Drove the car from DC to beach in NC yesterday, two kids (9 & 12) and my wife. You do feel the road more with the 21 wheels, and it does want to follow the road a very little bit. But, all in a good way. Road noise was non existent, and bumps did not matter. They just roll over the top of potholes instead of rolling into potholes. I’m glad I got the 21 wheels over the 20. Chances tirerack for pricing difference, not that material enough to put me off from the 21 wheels, and they look fantastic on the car.

kid friendly? Honestly - somewhat. It’s no minivan. Cup holders in the second row either don’t exist (captain chairs) or two flimsy ones in the armrest (bench seat). And there isn’t a lot of storage spots for your crap. But the flip side to that - less places to store crap means less crap in your car.