GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

How many languages support for the "hey mercedes""

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 04:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLS580
How many languages support for the "hey mercedes""

Hi there, I'm living the Canada, and I found the "Hey Mercedes" voice control system only support two languages: English and French.

However, I found from the websites said that the MBUX voice system support 27 languages, I prefer the Mandarin because my mother language is Mandarin. And of course the 27 languages include the Mandarin.
I also confirmed that the Canada GLS version don't have the TPMS for individual digital display the tire pressure.... so poor! Everything block by the MBUX, I have no idea why the different countries have the different MBUX version, by laws?

BTW, my mbux system version is apilevel/ntg6/080.
Thanks,

Old 02-10-2023, 09:53 PM

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
GLC EQB GLS C300 convertible
Since it's a German car, it must support German right?
Old 04-23-2024, 06:02 PM

I tried and my navigation is in German now,

but Hey Mercedes doesn't talk in German. Is there a fix?
Old 04-23-2024, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,890 Likes on 2,602 Posts
2019 C63CS
Most software is regional and localized, so the available languages depend on your region and sometimes only cover the predominant languages in a given region. English and French for Canada and here in the US it's mainly English and Spanish. Yes, there are also regional regulations that have to be accounted for, so the configuration of MBUX is different in each region. For example I'm annoyed that I can't change the temperature units to Celsius in my US spec car. It insists on Fahrenheit, because that's the predominant unit of measure in the USA, but I'm from Europe and I think in Celsius.

There's a region setting that has to be changed to make other languages etc. available. Unfortunately, as opposed to PCs and smartphones where the end user can easily change the region, this stuff is locked away from the end user in cars. Personal devices such as your laptop and smartphones are designed to travel with you, so they allow changing the region if you travel to other parts of the world, but you don't exactly travel from Canada to China with your car in your luggage, so region changes is not something that typically happens in cars unless they get exported to other countries. Overall MBUX might support 27 languages, but only a subset of those will be available in each region.

BTW, part of why the voice language can't necessarily be changed to any of the languages is because street names and such may not be pronounced correctly in any language that's not native to the region, or won't be recognized if you use voice commands to enter a navigation destination. For example whenever I go back home to Europe, I switch the region on my phone to central Europe and switch the language to German, which is my mother tongue, because Google Maps etc. otherwise mispronounces all the streets etc. to the point where I sometimes can't even make out what it's saying.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-23-2024 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:44 AM

The funny thing is, my navigation is in German, with US states and street names pronounced in German, but my hey mercedes MBUX is still in English... and wouldn't understand mir ist kalt.