GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

E-ABC: Good value?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 06:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
GL450
E-ABC: Good value?

Am enjoying very much my 2021 GLS450, surprising power, especially in Sport mode. Planing ahead for next year (or 2023 as needed LOL) and am thinking of moving up to a 580 with E-ABC. I didn't get it before as most reviewers did not think it was worth the extra cost of moving to a 580, which is about $25K, all things considered. And on test drive, I didn't feel a significant power difference.

However I do keep reading here from E-ABC owners that it is a fantastic option and well worth the extra cost. I've noted that E-ABC is only active in Comfort mode, but not Sport, which seems to be counterintuitive. Also, does E-ABC really help on primarily flat roads, as I'm in Florida and no twisty curves and hills here. Not sure, but does the 580 come with Sport+, or is that only with E-ABC, as I am thinking a more firmer ride would be more to my liking than a softer albeit more stable ride. I don't really worry about the possible extra maintenance cost, as I trade in before warranty expiration.

E-ABC owners, pleased then with the option?
Old 08-30-2021, 07:33 AM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
'20 GLS580, '18 S560
Originally Posted by Psymac
Am enjoying very much my 2021 GLS450, surprising power, especially in Sport mode. Planing ahead for next year (or 2023 as needed LOL) and am thinking of moving up to a 580 with E-ABC. I didn't get it before as most reviewers did not think it was worth the extra cost of moving to a 580, which is about $25K, all things considered. And on test drive, I didn't feel a significant power difference.

However I do keep reading here from E-ABC owners that it is a fantastic option and well worth the extra cost. I've noted that E-ABC is only active in Comfort mode, but not Sport, which seems to be counterintuitive. Also, does E-ABC really help on primarily flat roads, as I'm in Florida and no twisty curves and hills here. Not sure, but does the 580 come with Sport+, or is that only with E-ABC, as I am thinking a more firmer ride would be more to my liking than a softer albeit more stable ride. I don't really worry about the possible extra maintenance cost, as I trade in before warranty expiration.

E-ABC owners, pleased then with the option?
the value proposition is kinda individual situation, I think.

I ordered my GLS580 very early on, to be one of the first ones to have it on east coast.
even on GLE, e-ABC was extremely rare option, so I ended dup pulling the trigger without actually trying it.

Do I like it? I kinda do.
the "bouncy-gangsta-mode" (as my kids call it) is cool party trick.
the predictive dampening works decently well. it's not necessarily glass smooth, though.
curve mode (where it leans into curve to minimize body roll) is useful. however, the vehicle leans into turn even in other modes anyway.
That feature is very useful and practical help in everyday use, since the vehicle is riding pretty high.

now, to your question: is it worth it? for "ME", I don't have any problem spending that big bucks for those gimmick features.
I call them gimmick because we absolutely can live without them. and GLS would be excellent vehicle without e-ABC.
depends on your budget, it may not be worth it to spend that to gain the extra features.
not to mention, complexity and cost when the vehicle's warranty expires.

I do have one wish-item for e-ABC.
since we already have pretty active suspension when optioned with e-ABC, I wish the vehicle has automatic exit mode where the GLS would squat extra low.

just my 2 cents on e-ABC

The following users liked this post:
Psymac (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 08:04 AM

GL450
Thanks for the feedback, that is helpful. So the predictive dampening feature is engaged in all drive modes while the Curve feature is only for Comfort mode?
Old 08-30-2021, 08:12 AM

'20 GLS580, '18 S560
Thanks for the feedback, that is helpful. So the predictive dampening feature is engaged in all drive modes while the Curve feature is only for Comfort mode?
I'm not sure if the predictive damping is active in every mode.
I know that it's very much noticeable (obviously) in Comfort mode, naturally.

the corner leaning is active in every mode.
it leans more (up to 7 degrees) in certain modes than another.
usually, I default drive to Sport+ mode most of the times, and noticed that it would lean up to 7 degrees.
in comfort mode, she doesn't lean as much.

personally, I don't find the Curve mode so useful. if I drive in Curve mode, it'll disables the "Active Lane Keeping" (aka. Auto pilot steering) in Distronic.
I don't follow the logic for that. in Curve mode, when Distronic is engaged, it only functions as adaptive cruise.

let me know if you have any other questions or need my 2 year ownership feedback on GLS580.
mine was ordered with every option available. and I got some opinions on all of those.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:41 PM

GL450
Do you know if Sport+ is only with E-ABC, or is that with all 580s?

I didn't get the heads up display, because on my test drive could not even see it with my polarized sunglasses even after adjustment was supposed to counter act that. Now of course driving at night it is a feature I'd think I like, as my steering wheel placement blocks out some of my driving information (even with attempts to customize display).
Old 08-30-2021, 11:47 PM

Received 171 Likes on 121 Posts
a

I didn't get the heads up display, because on my test drive could not even see it with my polarized sunglasses even after adjustment was supposed to counter act that. Now of course driving at night it is a feature I'd think I like, as my steering wheel placement blocks out some of my driving information (even with attempts to customize display).
Sport+ is only with E-ABC.

Once you have HUD its hard to go back.
The following 2 users liked this post by darlop:
madkow70 (08-31-2021), PhilipHanser (07-27-2022)
Old 08-31-2021, 06:46 AM

'20 GLS580, '18 S560

Different polarized sunglass grands have different implementation. some brands apply it horizontally and some vertically.
for MB, I noticed the main MBUX nav screen and HUD are always opposite on polarization. (one is vertical and one is horizontal)
if your sunglasses blanks out HUD, but not MBUX screen, try tilting your head 90 deg sideways, then the HUD would be visible and MBUX is washed out.
I think the manufacturers do that so you don't lose both screens if you wear polarized glasses. I thought that was interesting.

my Maui Jim washes the HUD out as well. so for Benz, I had to get a pair of Oakley, which was set up the opposite.
I mostly drive relying on HUD display so those Oakleys washing out main display wasn't so much of issue for me.
but eventually, I ended up getting a pair of non-polarized sunglasses and leave that in the car to use while driving.

HUD is an absolute must have option for me now after I got used to it.
so spoiled. haha