GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

GLS Regret

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLS63
Oh yea- gotta have the school bus look for sure! hahaha I have to say- smart move avoiding the aviator. We have an explorer ST that we thought looked good on paper but drives miserably. Obviously, not the lincoln but if lincoln didn't hide the 'ford' completely then I would keep as far away of the aviator. Best wishes with the GLS, I LOVED my 2017 like crazy, I wish you all that with this X167!! : )
Old 10-14-2021, 09:30 PM

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
2013 S550, 2009 E320, 2013 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
First world problems.
LMFAO, so true!
The following users liked this post:
E55Greasemonkey (10-14-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 09:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honda Odyssey
Originally Posted by dpayne7571
LMFAO, so true!
🙄 basically every problem in here is a first world problem. Should I order automatic sun visors on my windows? My $90k car isn’t performing as I’d like! I wanted a V8 and they’re only giving me a V6!

In the end, I sold the GLS for only a slight loss. The space was too much of a problem and we take too many road trips. Even without the stroller, it just wasn’t enough room, with kids always using the third row. Then other stuff started to irritate me, like the rope seat back pockets that look and feel cheap, the thin plastic sunglasses holder, the entire center console area taken up by a controller (when screen, voice command and the steering wheel do the same thing), extra steps to do every little command etc. And I had serious doubts about reliability. Plus, when I went to try to return the car or at least sell it for a decent price, knowing today’s market, my dealer was a nightmare and since then, I’ve heard nothing but bad things about them, especially the service department that I would have relied on. The car drove like a dream and it’s absolutely gorgeous but I’m not paying $90k for a car that ultimately makes my life harder. Plus, last week one of my daughters dumped her entire cheerio bag on the floor and a few minutes later my other daughter threw up all over the place. In a Honda van, it’s annoying but in a MB, it’s heartbreaking. Maybe I’ll try again when the kids are older and (hopefully) MB has fixed some of the problems they’re having and I’ll know to splurge on appearance packages. But for now, my paid off van is fine.
chassis (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 654 Likes on 407 Posts
2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
Sounds like you made the right choice OP for your needs. Minivan sounds like the right platform in general for your stage in life. Nobody can argue against that!

MB's are no different than anything else man-made in the universe. Never 100% perfect, never meant for everyone either. Totally get it. If such a thing existed, we'd all have the word "Corolla" on the trunk of our cars!

On the kid's messes. Totally understand. We have a child with special needs who is messy as well. Weathertech makes perfect floor liners that catch all things. First thing we ordered was a back row set that covers the entire floor area. Problem solved in terms of ease of clean up and protecting the car.

MB's are really nice cars, and they do require some attention to maintenance. You can't beat on them quite like you can a Honda or Toyota. Fluids need to be changed no later then when they say they need to be changed, and we all experience an annoyance here and there with things that one would not expect to encounter on such an expensive car. But the trade off is how well they drive, and honestly, how well they're built. The sheet metal for instance on a MB is thick as crap. Hard, can't push it in. This 450 GLS goes 0-60 around 5.3 seconds, can tow 7,700 lbs, and yet gives us nearly 30 mpg's while cruising down the highway, with an overall avg to-date for ours of nearly 26 mpgs at 35k miles so far. I can't argue with that level of performance. Certainly beats the heck out of the Toyota Highlander it replaced which would get 20 mpgs with a tailwind on a 3.5 V6. So it all balances out. But, nothing is perfect no matter how expensive it is. Nothing..

When you're ready for a MB, you'll know for sure, no second guessing yourself. When that time comes, you'll know it, and I bet you'll enjoy it like we all do. Nothing like them, that's for sure.
wyatt88 (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 09:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,955 Likes on 3,110 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Glad @Merri610 made a good decision for her. Wouldn't it be fun to see the look on the faces of the MBUSA marketing folks when they see the latest report on which vehicles they lost the owner of a GLS to?

A minivan. Drop the mic.

In this case for the OP MB isn't the best. It's nothing.
wyatt88 (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 448 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
Originally Posted by chassis
Glad @Merri610 made a good decision for her. Wouldn't it be fun to see the look on the faces of the MBUSA marketing folks when they see the latest report on which vehicles they lost the owner of a GLS to?

A minivan. Drop the mic.

In this case for the OP MB isn't the best. It's nothing.
Since they are selling every GLS they can put together for all the money they aren't going to care.
Sometimes people just buy the wrong car for what they need. It happens.
In the end it wasn't the cars fault.
The following 2 users liked this post by mercedesmax:
chassis (10-19-2021), js_cls (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 05:23 PM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Originally Posted by nc211
Sounds like you made the right choice OP for your needs. Minivan sounds like the right platform in general for your stage in life. Nobody can argue against that!

When you're ready for a MB, you'll know for sure, no second guessing yourself. When that time comes, you'll know it, and I bet you'll enjoy it like we all do. Nothing like them, that's for sure.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winner!

Old 10-19-2021, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by mercedesmax
Since they are selling every GLS they can put together for all the money they aren't going to care.
Sometimes people just buy the wrong car for what they need. It happens.
In the end it wasn't the cars fault.
Exactly, the OP would have been screwed whether it was a GLS, X7, or Q7, there is no replacing the practicality of a minivan without jumping into behemoths like the Tahoe or Suburban.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:03 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
MB GLS450
I moved to the previous gen GLS from a minivan. My boys were getting older and no longer in car seats but were in boosters. At first I regretted it due to having less room for cargo bc it was what I was used to. I made due with less room, got used to it and loved the GLS until I got rear ended in it. It was fixed but it was never the same. Over $20k in damages and I ended up trading it in for the X7 where I had to get used to the slightly less room again. Lol

Now if I would’ve known the ‘22 GLS450 can be had with the AMG appearance package, I would’ve held out and got another GLS instead of the X7.

First world problems for sure.