GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Gls 63 won't start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2021 | 01:32 AM

GLS 63, C 43
Gls 63 won't start

So this happened today. Not even 2000 miles on the vehicle. We drove it the night before, then went out to start it this morning. The dash screens came on, HVAC started up, but car would not start. I started getting emails from MB connect telling me my starting battery was critically low. Knowing it is a holiday weekend, I called road side assistance immediately. 5 hours later, the tow truck finally showed up. There was no way to get it shifted into neutral, so they had to drag it out of my garage and onto a flatbed. It got to the dealership just as the service department closed. One of the techs stuck around to see if the 12v battery just needed to be charged. The battery failed and would not recharge. Also, he said a bunch of other codes were generated, which can simply be a consequence of a failing 12v battery. They said there is a TSB on it, but it was too late to do anything about it at that point. So it will be sitting at the dealership this weekend and however long it takes to figure out what's going on. We initially assumed it was the 48v battery but that seems to be functioning well.

The following users liked this post:
chassis (09-16-2021)
Old 09-05-2021 | 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
Say it ain't so. Another one-sixty-lemon on a flatbed.

Last edited by E55Greasemonkey; 09-05-2021 at 01:50 AM.
Old 09-15-2021 | 10:43 PM

GLS 63, C 43
48v battery

Just as a follow-up, the problem ended up being the 48v battery. Luckily, it only took a few days to find one. The problem for the dealership came when they didn't have rollers big enough for those wheels, so they couldn't move the vehicle out of the alley in the back where the tow truck left it. The mechanic had to work on it out in the Arizona sun. He also didn't get a good wifi signal, so when a delivery truck drove between the car and the building, it cut the WiFi during programming and bricked the battery. Luckily, after 4 tries, they got it reprogrammed and we have the gls back! You would think they would design a way to manually shift the car into neutral.
Old 09-15-2021 | 10:48 PM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Sorry to hear. Nice looking 63, the wheels are cool. Good news that the dealer sourced another battery.

How many warranty dollars and how much tarnished brand equity has the 48V system cost MB?
Old 09-16-2021 | 11:15 AM

Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Had the same problem;
Dealer changed battery;
All fine;
No big deal.

Old 09-16-2021 | 11:45 AM

GLS 63, C 43
I think the bigness of the deal is relative. The car is new, and I paid a small fortune for it. It also happened on the first day of a holiday weekend, so we had to cancel our plans. I have 4 young kids, who have activities 6 days a week. There are no loaner cars, let alone a gls loaner that has room for everyone. So when the family car goes down, it's a huge deal. We were lucky that it happened at home. It could have just as easily happened across town at dance practice, or baseball practice. We still have triple digit heat here in arizona. It took 5 hours to get a tow truck with a flat bed. That would have left my wife and 4 young kids stranded, which is a very big deal.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bstears:
chassis (09-16-2021), Lanzz (10-01-2021)
Old 09-16-2021 | 02:21 PM

Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Sorry if you misinterpreted what I wrote:
I did not say it was not a big deal to you.
I said it was not a big deal to me.

Old 09-16-2021 | 02:33 PM

GLS 63, C 43
No misinterpretation, that's why I said the bigness of the deal is relative. I'm glad it was less impactful for you. I realize my situation is likely more the exception than the norm. I just wish it wasn't happening to begin with. Luckily the car mostly makes up for it
The following users liked this post:
chassis (09-16-2021)
Old 09-30-2021 | 05:05 PM

2021 GLS 450
So I bought a 2021 GLS 450 in April. It has 5,000 miles on it. This week I tried to start it in the driveway and nothing. Mercedez roadside assistance couldnt jump it and they had to tow it to the dealer. The red battery light came on that said "stop vehicle and check owners manual. The app says the starter battery is critically low. The dealer said the issue is with the 48 volt battery and they have to order a new one, but no ETA on the battery after a few days still. EXTREMELY frustrating!
Old 10-01-2021 | 11:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
So I bought a 2021 GLS 450 in April. It has 5,000 miles on it. This week I tried to start it in the driveway and nothing. Mercedez roadside assistance couldnt jump it and they had to tow it to the dealer. The red battery light came on that said "stop vehicle and check owners manual. The app says the starter battery is critically low. The dealer said the issue is with the 48 volt battery and they have to order a new one, but no ETA on the battery after a few days still. EXTREMELY frustrating!
Pretty common sorry to hear that you are one of the victims, hopefully they get it sorted sooner than later.
https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...y-problem.html
Old 10-01-2021 | 03:17 PM

2021 GLS 450
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Pretty common sorry to hear that you are one of the victims, hopefully they get it sorted sooner than later.
https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...y-problem.html
Any idea how long it has been taking to get a new battery? The dealer still doesnt have a ship date and its been a week. At what point would Mercedez issue some sort of recall??
Old 10-01-2021 | 06:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Any idea how long it has been taking to get a new battery? The dealer still doesnt have a ship date and its been a week. At what point would Mercedez issue some sort of recall??
A few weeks I heard because it is backordered (that's what I heard), hopefully you get yours sooner than that.
Old 10-03-2021 | 08:17 PM

One week for me.