GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

How do you like the audio system in your GLS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,686 Likes on 2,110 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
How do you like the audio system in your GLS?

I drove a 2022 GLE350 loan car with the Burmester Surround system and was amazed at how crummy the audio sound was, even after spending reasonable time adjusting all the controls. Reading on the V167 GLE forums, it appears that MB has done a really bad job with the audio in these vehicles. So, I was wondering if
it is the same with the X167 GLS models. How do you like the audio in your GLS?
The following users liked this post:
chassis (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 10:08 PM

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
C450, GLS 63 and a few other things
I have the higher end Burmester 3D system. It is really good. For the price, I wanted it to be absolutely fantastic - and it isn't quite there, but still really pleased. When I'm on my own and use the VIP seat function, it's even better. Probably too big of a vehicle to get a good sound stage for all the seats. Of course, half the time I'm listening to super compressed sources, like SiriusXM while driving, so I'm not letting the system do its thing, but I will occasionally give it something to work with.

Been a while and only a short test drive when I heard the standard system. I recall it being "ok", and livable. Hopefully someone with the standard system jumps in with what it is like to live with it.
Old 01-15-2022, 02:21 PM

Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts
2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
The base Burmester system is crap, really awful. The Burmester 3D is quite good, but once you’ve experienced the Naim system in a Bentley, nothing compares.
thisguysucks (08-01-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by jbattan
The base Burmester system is crap, really awful. The Burmester 3D is quite good, but once you’ve experienced the Naim system in a Bentley, nothing compares.
I have the Burmester 3D in my S560 and it is wonderful. The Burmester in my wife’s 2019 E450 Wagon seems to be pretty decent. I don’t think they are currently offering the 3D in the GLS450, are they?
Old 01-17-2022, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
Depends on your standards and what you’ll be listening to. The base system is fine to me but I wouldn’t call it a standout. It’s just…fine and I’m happy with it. However if you are someone that likes to tinker with it to get the ‘perfect’ acoustic setup, you will be disappointed. I’d imagine the premium version is probably a must in that case, unless you are comfortable going aftermarket.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLS580
I have the stock baseline Burmester system in my 580. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I find the sound system to be okay. Fine if you're running around town with music on in the background...Every now and then something will come on that I want to crank up and I'm always disappointed. If I had the chance to go back I'd definitely upgrade to the premium sound system.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:54 AM

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
On my three previous MBs, I have use the factory bose, Harman Kardon, and this Burmeister.
They all seem the same to me.
But I just listen to the Beatles anyway.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:52 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the Burmester 3D in my 2021 GLS63 with the Acoustic Comfort package and it IS an upgrade from the B&O high end option from my 2013 GL63. I had a 2014 Porsche Turbo Cabriolet and I think the high end Burmester sounded better there! ... even with tire/road noise.

When on longer road trips, I'll plug iPhone in to the USB port and use Tidal and it does sound a touch better but not fully uncompressed that Tidal offers. I wish and hope will come, processor to experience fully uncompressed music in this system. I think Tidal is offered in either British or European MB's uncompressed. Maybe a software update from MB?

I did do a comparison between the stock Burmester and my Burmester 3D and to my ear, a big upgrade and I think if spending the money we spend on these beasts, may as well step up to top of the line sound.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,120 Likes on 732 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I drove a 2022 GLE350 loan car with the Burmester Surround system and was amazed at how crummy the audio sound was, even after spending reasonable time adjusting all the controls. Reading on the V167 GLE forums, it appears that MB has done a really bad job with the audio in these vehicles. So, I was wondering ifit is the same with the X167 GLS models. How do you like the audio in your GLS?
The Burmester crummy?🤣🤣🤣🤣Even the base version is one of the finest OEM systems in the world. It doesn't go to club levels of volume, but the fidelity is extraordinary for car audio. And no, it doesn't provide bass output that shakes the neighbor's house, but that's not music; it's noise.
BenjaminKohl (01-20-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 06:02 AM

Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts
2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
At least a couple years ago, the base Burmester system isn’t even a Burmester. If you open up the panels, you’ll find that there’s no Burmester brand on anything; it’s all the stock Mercedes speakers and amps.

For two other data points, a 2014 reviewer said:
Just wanted see if anyone else has listened to Burmester audio in Porsche cars. I recently bought a Porsche Panamera Turbo with Burmester audio. If your read car reviews, everyone talks about how the Burmester in Porsceh is one of the best audio systems available today. Really? I am an audiphile and know what is good and bad. the system is calibrated correctly for volume bass, etc, and has power, which I think should be given. But the midrange and mid-highs suck, very raspy an dull. >8-10K Hz things are better, but common... I am highly disappointed! The system that I built for my SUV, Harmon-Kardon head unit, Alpine amp and Focal speakers, is in a completely different league compared to the Burmester. What a waste of money and the name.

An audio tuning company said:
The W205 C300 is available with both a "premium" audio Burmester branded audio system and a basic 4 speaker setup. The basic setup with 4 speakers has no tweeters and no center speaker on the dashboard. We were very disappointed with the sound quality of this system as it's noticeably worse than previous generations of the Mercedes C-Class. The Burmester system offered on these cars are also considerably worse than the system offered on the E-Class. In fact, the door speakers are the same whether you get the Burmester option or not. These small 3.5" speakers offer poor performance across the board and are some of the worse we've found in any "luxury" branded vehicle.

Last edited by jbattan; 01-21-2022 at 06:08 AM.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:38 AM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2021 GLE 450
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Even the base version is one of the finest OEM systems in the world.
you've got to be kidding it's muddy mid-fi junk, made even worse by the woofers pumping the mud into your feet
Old 01-21-2022, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by jbattan
At least a couple years ago, the base Burmester system isn’t even a Burmester. If you open up the panels, you’ll find that there’s no Burmester brand on anything; it’s all the stock Mercedes speakers and amps. For two other data points, a 2014 reviewer said:Just wanted see if anyone else has listened to Burmester audio in Porsche cars. I recently bought a Porsche Panamera Turbo with Burmester audio. If your read car reviews, everyone talks about how the Burmester in Porsceh is one of the best audio systems available today. Really? I am an audiphile and know what is good and bad. the system is calibrated correctly for volume bass, etc, and has power, which I think should be given. But the midrange and mid-highs suck, very raspy an dull. >8-10K Hz things are better, but common... I am highly disappointed! The system that I built for my SUV, Harmon-Kardon head unit, Alpine amp and Focal speakers, is in a completely different league compared to the Burmester. What a waste of money and the name. An audio tuning company said: The W205 C300 is available with both a "premium" audio Burmester branded audio system and a basic 4 speaker setup. The basic setup with 4 speakers has no tweeters and no center speaker on the dashboard. We were very disappointed with the sound quality of this system as it's noticeably worse than previous generations of the Mercedes C-Class. The Burmester system offered on these cars are also considerably worse than the system offered on the E-Class. In fact, the door speakers are the same whether you get the Burmester option or not. These small 3.5" speakers offer poor performance across the board and are some of the worse we've found in any "luxury" branded vehicle.
The Burmester stereo uses exactly the same drivers in the 3D as in the base burmester stereo, the 3D uses more of them and an additional sub. Since it has more speakers, it also has additional amps. The main audible difference is additional soundfield modes. If you play hi rez digital files in "pure mode" with no surround mode they sound exactly the same.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The Burmester crummy?🤣🤣🤣🤣Even the base version is one of the finest OEM systems in the world. It doesn't go to club levels of volume, but the fidelity is extraordinary for car audio. And no, it doesn't provide bass output that shakes the neighbor's house, but that's not music; it's noise.
It absolutely differs from model to model. The Burmester 3D in my 2020 S560 is just wonderful. The systems in the V167 GLE’s are crummy. The systems in EVERY 2013 to 2020 SL are absolutely HORRIBLE! I would trade the HK system in my 2019 SL450 for a base system in ANY current, ASIAN car, in a heartbeat. As the old Packard ads used to say: “Ask the man who owns one.”
Old 01-21-2022, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
It absolutely differs from model to model. The Burmester 3D in my 2020 S560 is just wonderful. The systems in the V167 GLE’s are crummy. The systems in EVERY 2013 to 2020 SL are absolutely HORRIBLE! I would trade the HK system in my 2019 SL450 for a base system in ANY current, ASIAN car, in a heartbeat. As the old Packard ads used to say: “Ask the man who owns one.”
Those are different model cars. In the same model, they use the same drivers. Different models have different acoustic environments, thus different mounting and acoustic requirements.. For example, the 3D models use the twirling tweeters, however, the tweeter is otherwise exactly the same with additional theatrics. Finally, the non burmester basic radios are really dirt cheap crap. On our GLS the Burmester is orders of magnitude better than the HK system on our previous GLS.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:24 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
GLS450
Where do they put the higher end Burmester sub? If you have any details comparing the base and premium Burmester I'd be really interested to read about them.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2022, 09:36 PM

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
C450, GLS 63 and a few other things
The sub is in the rear under the floor, so you lose the spare tire.

you can see speaker locations and some marketing info here.

https://www.burmester.de/en/Automotive/GLS/
Old 01-22-2022, 08:52 AM

GLS450
Originally Posted by z28lt1
The sub is in the rear under the floor, so you lose the spare tire.

you can see speaker locations and some marketing info here.

https://www.burmester.de/en/Automotive/GLS/
thanks!

now to see it this can be retrofitted.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boxster
I drove a 2022 GLE350 loan car with the Burmester Surround system and was amazed at how crummy the audio sound was, even after spending reasonable time adjusting all the controls. Reading on the V167 GLE forums, it appears that MB has done a really bad job with the audio in these vehicles. So, I was wondering if
it is the same with the X167 GLS models. How do you like the audio in your GLS?
My base 2020 corvette's Bose sounds way better.

The point is the standrad Burmester is designed to be good and not great so you can spend an extra $4600 for the upgraded Burmester High-End 3D Surround Sound System.
Old 07-22-2022, 05:36 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2012 W221 S63, 2016 W166 GLE350d
The Burmester stereo uses exactly the same drivers in the 3D as in the base burmester stereo, the 3D uses more of them and an additional sub. Since it has more speakers, it also has additional amps. The main audible difference is additional soundfield modes. If you play hi rez digital files in "pure mode" with no surround mode they sound exactly the same.
That's not true.

The base burmester systems use the same paper cones as the base, base system with the black plaster speaker grills. The tweeters in the base burmester system use silk dome tweeters which are the same as the ones used in later HK systems. In essence, the base burmester system is basically the base, base system with tweeters, an additional frontbass woofer, additional mid drivers, and more powerful amp with tuned dsp.

Older HK systems from vehicles used both Alupreme woofers, mids, and tweeters while later HK systems post 2010 in facelifted vehicles switched to silk dome tweeters; woofers and mids remained with Alupreme. Any newly designed platform from 2012 onwards with HK dropped Alupreme for paper cones in the woofers and mids while keeping silk dome tweeters (such as W166, X167, etc.). While on paper, it seemed to be an upgrade with more speakers and power increase, they sound quite poor with regards to any pre 2010 HK system in a premium model (E and up segment).

The high end Burmester system swap out the paper cones for composite woven drivers in the mids and woofers which are the same drivers offered in the past B&O system. Amps and tuning are different

All the systems are made by Becker, which is owned by Harman International

Last edited by 5634MG; 07-22-2022 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2022, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by ACC2
thanks!

now to see it this can be retrofitted.
@ACC2 Were you able to look into retrofitting the 3D system. If so, what's the cost of retrofit? I'm interested in retrofitting as well.
Old 07-22-2022, 11:40 PM

GLS450
Haven't looked into it. If there was a fairly easy solution with meaningful improvement, I'd consider it. I think a little sub base would go a long way with this system.
Old 07-23-2022, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by 5634MG
That's not true.

The base burmester systems use the same paper cones as the base, base system with the black plaster speaker grills. The tweeters in the base burmester system use silk dome tweeters which are the same as the ones used in later HK systems. In essence, the base burmester system is basically the base, base system with tweeters, an additional frontbass woofer, additional mid drivers, and more powerful amp with tuned dsp.

Older HK systems from vehicles used both Alupreme woofers, mids, and tweeters while later HK systems post 2010 in facelifted vehicles switched to silk dome tweeters; woofers and mids remained with Alupreme. Any newly designed platform from 2012 onwards with HK dropped Alupreme for paper cones in the woofers and mids while keeping silk dome tweeters (such as W166, X167, etc.). While on paper, it seemed to be an upgrade with more speakers and power increase, they sound quite poor with regards to any pre 2010 HK system in a premium model (E and up segment).

The high end Burmester system swap out the paper cones for composite woven drivers in the mids and woofers which are the same drivers offered in the past B&O system. Amps and tuning are different

All the systems are made by Becker, which is owned by Harman International
Mmmm thats exactly what I said....... more speakers more subs and additional DSP....the additional speakers are for the additional DSP modes. I listen to music in stereo, how it was intended. More DSP does absolutely zero for me. Again listen to high rez files on both in normal mode. They sound virtually the same. The up system has a little more volume and thats pretty much it. Neither sound anything like the pevious HK system which was purely mediocre. I can compare them directly since I owned the previous GLS 580. I cant attest to the speaker material since Burmester doesnt spec anything. The highs sound as clean as those on my EQS which does have tweeters with a Burmester logo and is a 3D system. Again the system sounds as good as what you feed it. A real testament of how good a system is, it can clearly demonstrate bad material from good material. High def>>>CD(16/44)>>MP3>>satellite. Any system that can clearly differentiate the source is worth its salt. How loud it can play and how much base it has is inmaterial if its only loud and distorted. Particularly in car audio where distortion and lack of dynamic range is the norm. Finally 99% of music is recorded in 2 channel format and thus sounds the best as such. Adding surround sound to stereo digitally is heresy, the more you muck with it the worse it is. If the original track is surround encoded as most movie tracks are, sure go ahead and decode it as such, othewise, leave it alone!
Old 07-23-2022, 06:18 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2012 W221 S63, 2016 W166 GLE350d
Mmmm thats exactly what I said....... more speakers more subs and additional DSP....the additional speakers are for the additional DSP modes. I listen to music in stereo, how it was intended. More DSP does absolutely zero for me. Again listen to high rez files on both in normal mode. They sound virtually the same. The up system has a little more volume and thats pretty much it. Neither sound anything like the pevious HK system which was purely mediocre. I can compare them directly since I owned the previous GLS 580. I cant attest to the speaker material since Burmester doesnt spec anything. The highs sound as clean as those on my EQS which does have tweeters with a Burmester logo and is a 3D system. Again the system sounds as good as what you feed it. A real testament of how good a system is, it can clearly demonstrate bad material from good material. High def>>>CD(16/44)>>MP3>>satellite. Any system that can clearly differentiate the source is worth its salt. How loud it can play and how much base it has is inmaterial if its only loud and distorted. Particularly in car audio where distortion and lack of dynamic range is the norm. Finally 99% of music is recorded in 2 channel format and thus sounds the best as such. Adding surround sound to stereo digitally is heresy, the more you muck with it the worse it is. If the original track is surround encoded as most movie tracks are, sure go ahead and decode it as such, othewise, leave it alone!
I agree with that point. However, you should note that the "3D" systems on the newest gen vehicles (W206, W223, EQS) are not comparable to the "High End 3D" systems prior; the latter systems would be comparable to the Burmester High End 4D system which feature the same higher end amps and speakers. You can't compare the current gen 3D systems in the W206, W223, and EQS models to base Burmester systems in the older vehicles that don't offer the high end 4D system and say the 3D systems sound exactly the same as the standard burmester without clarifying it's on the newer gen vehicles because they're exactly the same systems with some additional signal processing.

When playing audio from a high res player with lossless files directly from an Astell&Kern player, the audio fidelity and highs are in the High End systems, both previous high end 3D and current 4D are significantly ahead of the standard burmester and current "stock" base 3D systems. I can say this with confidence because my mother had both previous gen systems, base burmester, and Burmester High End 3D in both a W222 and C217 chassis which I experienced extensively. I have also spent time in the W223 systems where there is still a clear difference. You can still notice a distinct sound quality improvement even using Tidal via bluetooth.

However, the Naim systems still best the high end burmester systems
Old 08-01-2022, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2022 GLS 450
The 2022 GLS 450 with a standard Burmeister has no Subwoofer and is embarrassing to play music in. These are FACTS compared to other vehicles in its category. Trying to figure out a solution for this has been difficult.
SirG (03-29-2024)
Old 08-04-2022, 02:09 PM

GLS450
keep us posted if you find something.
thisguysucks (08-04-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you like the audio system in your GLS?