GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Replace front part assist camera?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2022 | 07:48 PM

ml350
Question Replace front part assist camera?

The lens of front camera in the grill just under the Mercedes emblem is crack and its annoying as heck every time the screen pops up. Mercedes dealer wanted $1500 to replace it. My a 2021 GLS 450 with only 4500miles on it. I've searched everywhere on instructions on how to replace and kind of pieced the process from watching other mercedes class vehicles. There just are a whole lot of info on this.I was able to get the front mercedes emblem off but it doesn't allow any room to get to the camera. I saw the pdf instructions and one video on taking off the entire front bumper. It looked very daunting just to get to the camera. Here is my question, can you replace the camera without having to remove the entire front bumper? If so can you access the front camera by take of the top cover in the engine above the grill for a 2021 gls450. Does anyone have instruction or a video link on how to do this? Also, I read in one of the older thread that I needed to disconnect the battery and wait 15-20min before detaching the camera This was so you don't get the recalibration warning on the screen. Does this mean I have to access the battery under the front passenger seat and disconnect both the negative and positive terminals? Thanks in advance. ;
Old 06-06-2022 | 09:45 PM

GLS450
I'm afraid you will have to take off the entire front bumper (the guide posted in this forum is excellent! kudos to @clunker ).
Once you have taken it off, you can access the camera easily.
Old 06-07-2022 | 09:05 AM

2021 GLS450 2020 GLE350 2005 BMW 325ci Convertible
Was this damaged by you, or defective? I'd be pushing a warranty claim unless you broke it!
Old 06-07-2022 | 01:55 PM

ml350
It’s wife’s car. Camera lens is cracked. Looks like it most likely was from road debris.
Old 06-07-2022 | 08:20 PM

ml350
If I could access this myself without worry of messing up the bumper removal and having leftover parts, I'd do it myself but I'm not ready to take that chance yet. I went ahead an filed an insurance claim.

What are the chances on the entire vehicle, the dang camera lens get hit by a rock/road debris?