GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Brake calipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 GLS 63
Brake calipers

I’m looking to remove my brake calipers and spray them red on my 2021 GLS AMG 63. Has anyone removed all 4 calipers and reinstalled them? Is there any specific way to bleed and install brakes upon reinstalling? How about placing the vehicle in service mode to pull back the EPB? What brake fluid is recommended? Sorry for all the questions have done it on a Range Rover and not sure if there is any difference or secrets.
Thank you
Old 09-20-2022, 06:17 PM

Received 173 Likes on 110 Posts
C450, GLS 63 and a few other things
I have not removed the calipers on mine, but have done plenty of other vehicles and at least "looked" at them when I changed wheels/tires. Also don't have the Mercedes service guide for this stuff, so feel free to ignore and maybe someone who has access to service procedures will chime in.
That said, it is a pretty standard setup.

1 - You need to go into the menus to retract the rear brakes as you noted. Plenty of youtube videos, big thing when following their instructions is make sure the odometer is displayed before the button press sequence I fought with that for a while.
2 - Haven't seen Mercedes specific instructions, but always safe to go furthest to closest in bleeding so RR, LR, RF, LF. Some manufacturers have you do the diagonals since they share a line, but far->close always seems to work.
3 - Front calipers have inboard and outboard bleeders. Mercedes used to (and as far as I know still do, but haven't seen anything lately) recommend outboard bleeder first than inboard. Many other manufacturers actually go the other way around and say inboard first. Again, probably doesn't really matter if you do a good job either way. I sometimes do inboard->outboard->inboard (again) just to be sure.
4 - The Mercedes brake fluid is actually good stuff and would be great to use. The spec calls for Dot 4+, which is "better" than Dot 4 specifications (some companies market fluids similarly or with super dot 4 or something). Generally a good 4 will work, but find a 4 "plus" to stay in spec. 5.1 should also meet the specifications (do not use "5" as it is different stuff and not meant for these vehicles, DOT really screwed up naming 5 and 5.1).
5 - The caliper bolts are almost certainly spec'd as one-time-use bolts, so you may want to pick up a set of those. Plenty of people have reused caliper bolts on various cars for years without an issue, but they aren't very expensive so probably a good idea to change them.
The following users liked this post:
Rp2266836 (09-20-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 GLS 63
Originally Posted by z28lt1
I have not removed the calipers on mine, but have done plenty of other vehicles and at least "looked" at them when I changed wheels/tires. Also don't have the Mercedes service guide for this stuff, so feel free to ignore and maybe someone who has access to service procedures will chime in.
That said, it is a pretty standard setup.

1 - You need to go into the menus to retract the rear brakes as you noted. Plenty of youtube videos, big thing when following their instructions is make sure the odometer is displayed before the button press sequence I fought with that for a while.
2 - Haven't seen Mercedes specific instructions, but always safe to go furthest to closest in bleeding so RR, LR, RF, LF. Some manufacturers have you do the diagonals since they share a line, but far->close always seems to work.
3 - Front calipers have inboard and outboard bleeders. Mercedes used to (and as far as I know still do, but haven't seen anything lately) recommend outboard bleeder first than inboard. Many other manufacturers actually go the other way around and say inboard first. Again, probably doesn't really matter if you do a good job either way. I sometimes do inboard->outboard->inboard (again) just to be sure.
4 - The Mercedes brake fluid is actually good stuff and would be great to use. The spec calls for Dot 4+, which is "better" than Dot 4 specifications (some companies market fluids similarly or with super dot 4 or something). Generally a good 4 will work, but find a 4 "plus" to stay in spec. 5.1 should also meet the specifications (do not use "5" as it is different stuff and not meant for these vehicles, DOT really screwed up naming 5 and 5.1).
5 - The caliper bolts are almost certainly spec'd as one-time-use bolts, so you may want to pick up a set of those. Plenty of people have reused caliper bolts on various cars for years without an issue, but they aren't very expensive so probably a good idea to change them.
Thank you so much for taking the time and effort. Excellent steps.
Old 02-14-2023, 10:17 AM

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 GLS580, 2020 Corvette Z51
Brake bleed procedure with MBUX etc.

Is there a special bleed procedure now with newer models or can I just pressure bleed with my Motive bleeder? I wondered if there is a brake activation that could happen when changing the calipers or a fault code I won't be able to clear. )On some newer cars you need to disconnect the battery or you will get a fault code when changing brakes etc. My 2020 Corvette has this.) You can't disconnect the X167 48V battery easily as far as I know and is it necessary? I am just changing the front calipers so can I just do it with the key in the off position and pressure bleed as normally done?