GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Rear Tablet not connecting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2023 | 07:32 PM

far too many to list.
Rear Tablet not connecting

Hi! I just purchased a 2021 GLS 63 from a fellow forum member (thanks Jim!) and am struggling with a piece of the setup process. Curious if someone here has a tip for me.
i setup the Android part of the rear tablet. Connected it to my home Wi-Fi and logged into Google, etc. all good there.
however when I plug it into the rear armrest it will not connect to the vehicle MBUX system, which unlocks the seat controls and other functionality. The screen says “configuring MBUX tablet in rear” for about 10 seconds and then “Connection failed. Please activate Wi-Fi in the center display.” Wi-Fi is activated and if I check the tablet settings it is connected to the vehicle hotspot.
thank you for your advise!

Old 03-10-2023 | 11:24 PM

far too many to list.
Well nevermind - a few restarts and on/offs and it solved itself somehow..
Old 04-06-2024 | 06:17 PM

2021 GLS580 all black. 2014 GLK black (kids car). formerly: 2014 GL550 Palladium Silver (US)
This happened to us today. Worked fine a week ago. Today, got the can’t connect message.
’21 580GLS with the executive? Rear seat package (massage, heat,…)

Here’s what we THINK we did to fix it.
On the main car console screen, went to System and clicked on the wifi icon below the title.
We selected to turn it on. We don’t have the MB wifi. Tried to connect it to a iPhone hotspot but that failed. But left it on.

Went back to the rear seat tablet. Went to settings: wifi and cleared all the saved connections. Left Wifi ON.
Restarted
Went back to turn settings-Wi-Fi I and found an MBUX SSID on there (previously was all cleared). Clicked on that and it took us to a Dimaler T-Mobile website to create an account. No payment info, just name, address, email, password. I did notice then on Settings- Wi-Fi that it showed ’connected’ now to MBUX wifi.

Restarted again.
And it connected and took us to the usual MBUX settings screen.

At some point before this, I DID connect the table to my iPhone hotspot and did a System update (that was a separate application on the tablet screen , NOT under Settings). But after restarting a few times, didn’t make a difference.

It seemed like it did really want to connect to the car via wifi (not Bluetooth) which is how we decided to try the steps from the top of this post.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (04-06-2024)