'24 GLS580 Ordered - Emerald Green/Bahia Brown

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2023, 01:36 PM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
N/A
'24 GLS580 Ordered - Emerald Green/Bahia Brown

Wanted to make a new thread......

So after originally ordering a GLS450, I decided to upgrade to a GLS580. While it was definitely more expensive, I really wanted to go with the V8 and that 500+ raw HP before they go extinct. Considering I'll keep this for around the next decade, it's likely my last chance to get one. Additionally, I find the off-road option with underguard a super useful feature with my family's adventures (strictly a GLS580 option). I essentially ticked every box, except for E-ABC and the Executive Rear Seat Package. I find the Airmatic to be plenty comfortable enough and with only small children, the Executive Package is useless for me.

I had to search EVERYwhere, but managed to find a dealer who would give me a $5,000 discount on a factory GLS580 build. People are paying $10k over at some lots, because the V8 accounts for less than 15% of GLS units sold. Additionally, something of particular interest, there are options which aren't on the online configurator that my salesman could manually add! All of these are excellent upgrades for a S class SUV, was very happy to find out it could be optioned!
  1. Microfiber Headliner
  2. 3rd Row Heated Seats
  3. Energizing Air Control

Anyhow, very excited for this and wanted to share with others who may not know about the 'secret' dealer options available and let guys know that discounts *are* available, even on in demand models, you just gotta put in some work! I had to hit up ~10 dealers to solidify this one.

I've attached my build sheet for anyone curious.

Last edited by dmash; 12-21-2023 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-21-2023, 02:41 PM

Received 194 Likes on 157 Posts
'23 GLS450
You are definitely getting Performance (summer) tires on your 22s. Does it ever get below 40°F in TX/FL? If so, you will need to plan for winter tires and possibly a new set of wheels.
Old 12-21-2023, 02:43 PM

N/A
Originally Posted by EWL5
You are definitely getting Performance (summer) tires on your 22s. Does it ever get below 40°F in TX/FL? If so, you will need to plan for winter tires and possibly a new set of wheels.
Honestly not really. If I move in the coming years I’ll plan on picking up a pair of 21’s on winter tread. It’s not a concern at this point for me.
The following users liked this post:
EWL5 (12-21-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 06:09 PM

N/A
Quick question for others who have recent build experience…..how long are these taking from build date to arriving at dealer?

For instance if I have a March 10 build….would you all expect it to be built in around 2-3 weeks and arrive 1 after that? Like 3-4 weeks?
Old 12-22-2023, 05:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 88 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
Originally Posted by dmash
Quick question for others who have recent build experience…..how long are these taking from build date to arriving at dealer?

For instance if I have a March 10 build….would you all expect it to be built in around 2-3 weeks and arrive 1 after that? Like 3-4 weeks?
Where do you live?

My dealer is in Mechanicsburg, PA. Someone on here had theirs delivered to my dealer about a week after coming off of the line in Alabama. Seems they are getting them off the property pretty soon after they are built.

I have a 1/6 production date and am told I should have it by 1/15.
dmash (12-22-2023)
Old 12-22-2023, 05:11 AM

N/A
Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
Where do you live?

My dealer is in Mechanicsburg, PA. Someone on here had theirs delivered to my dealer about a week after coming off of the line in Alabama. Seems they are getting them off the property pretty soon after they are built.

FL dealer, so just about as close as you can get to AL.

Yeah my dealer said he’s been seeing the AL SUVs usually arrive within 2-3 weeks after build date, he responded after my last post. Apparently things have gotten much better aside from something in Pinnacle trim causing delays. I’m sure it’s chip related.

I’m trying to get this on a certain day to coincide with my wife and I’s anniversary, and he seems pretty certain we should make the build 4 weeks prior and it should arrive easily before that. As he (understandably) doesn’t want the car sitting on lot awaiting pickup longer than need be.
Old 12-22-2023, 07:29 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 Toyota Rav4
Where do you live?

It took exactly 1 week since vehicle was handover to the trucking company. It may vary by delivery points.
dmash (12-22-2023)
Old 12-22-2023, 08:31 AM

N/A
Originally Posted by pboy
It took exactly 1 week since vehicle was handover to the trucking company. It may vary by delivery points.
how long did your actual build take? As in from start of build (then actually assembling) to delivery, total process?
Old 12-22-2023, 10:00 AM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2024 GLS 580 Alpine Grey, 2021 G63 Night Black Magno
Congrats on a beautiful build and getting $5000 discount. I was able to get $4000 but like you said I had to contact a few dealers. Post pictures once you get it.
dmash (12-22-2023)
Old 12-22-2023, 12:43 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
GLS450
Best color combo! Congrats!
dmash (12-22-2023)
Old 12-22-2023, 02:19 PM

2010 Toyota Rav4
how long did your actual build take? As in from start of build (then actually assembling) to delivery, total process?
Not sure about that. Initial build date was 12th nov and i guess it went to prod in between Oct 10 and Oct 15th. Mine was shipped on Oct 23rd from Alabama.
Old 12-22-2023, 02:23 PM

N/A
Originally Posted by pboy
Not sure about that. Initial build date was 12th nov and i guess it went to prod in between Oct 10 and Oct 15th. Mine was shipped on Oct 23rd from Alabama.
Wait, when you’re given a ‘Build date’, is that the anticipated date it will finish production and then ship to dealer? Or when it ‘starts’ production at the factory?

This entire time I thought the allocation/build date meant the latter……simply when production would start.

To be explicit, I’m wanting to pick this up May 23 (timing this special for my wife). Does that mean I should be completely fine with a late April/early May build date? As it will travel a super short ways from AL to FL?

Now it makes more sense why he was telling me I shouldn’t do a March build and it would just be sitting on the lot, unnecessarily.

Last edited by dmash; 12-22-2023 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-22-2023, 02:39 PM

2010 Toyota Rav4
wait, when you’re given a ‘Build date’, is that the anticipated date it will arrive at your dealer? Or when it will finish and then ship to dealer? Or when it ‘starts’ production.

this entire time I thought the allocation/build date meant when production would start on the car at the factory? So you’d need to add a few weeks to that for your accurate pickup.

haha bare me me, first MB.
Tentative Build date will be assigned once dealer submits the order. Build date is the date when it goes to production or when MB starts working on your order. I don't think it takes more than 10 days to finish the production.
​​​
dmash (12-22-2023)
Old 12-22-2023, 08:14 PM

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
GLC EQB GLS C300 convertible
congrats

i have similar color combos
Old 12-26-2023, 07:19 AM

N/A
Changed a few things before build turns red, my wife is being very indecisive (including pondering a GLE63 instead), but what can I say.

Changes made:

1. Emerald Green > Moonlight White (I was all for green but she’s wanting the exclusive Nappa leather, leather topstitching and walnut trim instead. We feel white goes much better with these options)
2. Grey Oak Trim > Walnut Trim (as above)
3. Bahia Brown Leather > Black Exclusive Nappa (as above)
4. Topstitched MB Tex > Topstitched Leather (as above)
5. Add E-Active Body Control (everybody and their brother kept telling me I’d regret not getting this, so added it)
6. Delete Off-Road Package (I think unnecessary now with E-ABC as I still get underguard, and this will apply $1900 towards the E-ABC cost)
7. Delete Roof Spoiler (we both disliked this on lighter color paint)

I told my wife this is final, anymore changes she has to wait for next car. What a hectic couple weeks for me (and my salesman). lol!
dgi (01-04-2024)
Old 12-26-2023, 09:27 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
2024 GLS 450
For what it's worth, I had a 2020 GLS 450 with E-ABC. At first I thought the handling, especially in "Curve" was amazing. After around 20,000 miles, I started to notice that it was getting increasingly jittery over small bumps or potholes. After multiple service visits at two dealers over the course of several months, it was better but in my opinion still not right. The E-ABC suspension seems to be difficult to diagnose and complicated to adjust. The advisor and technicians have nothing to compare to since so few GLS's are made with E-ABC. I decided to trade for an ordered 2024. In my opinion, the new one rides substantially better than my old GLS. Oddly enough, my wife says she doesn't get car sick riding in the new one but she did at times in the old one. It still has the air suspension along with the ability to raise and lower, but I don't have the "dance moves", which was just for show anyway. I wouldn't get a GLS with E-ABC if the option were free, let alone for $6000. I may have just had bad luck, but I consider it to be an untested technology.
The following 3 users liked this post by DM335:
dgi (01-04-2024), MDMercedesGuy (12-26-2023), wyatt88 (12-26-2023)
Old 12-26-2023, 10:10 AM

Received 194 Likes on 157 Posts
'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by DM335
For what it's worth, I had a 2020 GLS 450 with E-ABC. At first I thought the handling, especially in "Curve" was amazing. After around 20,000 miles, I started to notice that it was getting increasingly jittery over small bumps or potholes. After multiple service visits at two dealers over the course of several months, it was better but in my opinion still not right. The E-ABC suspension seems to be difficult to diagnose and complicated to adjust. The advisor and technicians have nothing to compare to since so few GLS's are made with E-ABC. I decided to trade for an ordered 2024. In my opinion, the new one rides substantially better than my old GLS. Oddly enough, my wife says she doesn't get car sick riding in the new one but she did at times in the old one. It still has the air suspension along with the ability to raise and lower, but I don't have the "dance moves", which was just for show anyway. I wouldn't get a GLS with E-ABC if the option were free, let alone for $6000. I may have just had bad luck, but I consider it to be an untested technology.
I don't try too hard convincing folks to go one way or the other. The heart wants what the heart wants. Sometimes life lessons can only be learned the hard way!
The internet can be a boon or bane for many but it's up to each individual to decide which one it is!
Old 12-26-2023, 07:51 PM

N/A
Alright, new deal confirmed. We ended up with Airmatic + Off-road Package + Underguard instead of E-ABC, after discussing extensively with a certified MB mechanic. He echoed some of your sentiments, that it’s amazing when it works, but for a long term keeper definitely go Airmatic. Apparently it’s true that some mechanics haven’t a clue how to fix it (despite being certified). He said this could lead to extended repair/loaner time and unfamiliar mechanics working on it. I know this all to well from my coworker and his EQS which has been in the shop 10+ times since taking delivery.

I was originally unhappy about the Emerald Green change, but I think this is going to look slick with the Moonlight White and nappa leather throughout. Excited!
The following 2 users liked this post by dmash:
dgi (01-04-2024), TestnDoc (01-04-2024)
Old 12-27-2023, 06:18 PM

N/A
New build sheet attached! I’ll have a late April/early May build as apparently Moonlight White isn’t available until then. Hopefully this extra wait will ensure every option actually gets installed, as I told them I wouldn’t accept if anything is missing.

Old 12-28-2023, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 88 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
Looks like the folks at Vance are working overtime, my
production date was supposed to be 1/6, but I just got the email that mine has been produced and is awaiting transit in Alabama.

Hopefully they keep up with these trajectories and yours comes sooner!
Old 12-28-2023, 09:16 PM

N/A
Looks like the folks at Vance are working overtime, my
production date was supposed to be 1/6, but I just got the email that mine has been produced and is awaiting transit in Alabama.

Hopefully they keep up with these trajectories and yours comes sooner!
good to hear!

Apparently there’s some delay in the transition to Moonlight until April, not sure. 12/31/23 ends Diamond, and 4/1/24 resumes with Moonlight.
Old 01-04-2024, 08:07 PM
dgi

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
93 Mustang GT, 94 Corvette ZR1, 2004 CL55 AMG
Thanks for sharing your experience!!

we are spec-ing an order for a ‘24 GLS580 right now and will be shopping around for the right deal.

looking forward to the process and to seeing your car delivered!