GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Windshield wiper scratch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 12:18 PM

Received 91 Likes on 52 Posts
GLS450 (2024), C300 (2023), EQE350+ (2024)
Windshield wiper scratch

Five months (and 5K miles) into ownership and my almost new truck has already developed a wiper scratch on the windshield. Not much raining so far this year so very typical limited use of wipers (maybe 2-3 times a day to clear the mist on the glass) and the blades move smoothly and not skipping, etc. Is this normal to get scratches this early? Not a big deal per se but in my previous 2 GLSs (and several other Mercedes I owned) I don't even recall having a single scratch in years of driving. Could there be something wrong with the windshield or the wiper blades? Checked the blade and didn't notice anything...
Also, what's the best fix? (other than toothpaste)

The following users liked this post:
Splaktar (01-15-2024)
Old 01-12-2024, 06:50 PM

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts
'20 GLS450, '17 S550 Sedan
I'm sorry to see this! I share your pain... I've got a couple similar scratches. There's nothing that I've found that will repair it.

I know what caused mine, at least. After my car had been sitting at the body shop for 56 days (waiting for minor parts on back order), the next time I turned on my wipers, the scratch appeared immediately. There must've been some really tiny piece of something very hard (hard enough to scratch glass) that had come to rest on top of my wiper blade, while it was inside the body shop.

Incidentally, the best glass "deep cleaner" I've used is this: https://weiman.com/glass-cooktop-cleaner-polish

I've used it successfully to remove tough water spots and anything else that Invisible Glass won't get off. But it doesn't work on true scratches...

The following 2 users liked this post by mercedesbuff:
rayzam (01-13-2024), Splaktar (01-15-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by mercedesbuff
I'm sorry to see this! I share your pain... I've got a couple similar scratches. There's nothing that I've found that will repair it.

I know what caused mine, at least. After my car had been sitting at the body shop for 56 days (waiting for minor parts on back order), the next time I turned on my wipers, the scratch appeared immediately. There must've been some really tiny piece of something very hard (hard enough to scratch glass) that had come to rest on top of my wiper blade, while it was inside the body shop.

Incidentally, the best glass "deep cleaner" I've used is this: https://weiman.com/glass-cooktop-cleaner-polish

I've used it successfully to remove tough water spots and anything else that Invisible Glass won't get off. But it doesn't work on true scratches...
Thanks! Mine was also at the dealership for a couple of days to fix a rattling noise from the back/hatch area (which remained unfixed after 2 visits) before I saw the scratch. It doesn't bother me much but I'm just a bit concerned that at this rate, the truck might fully fall apart in 2-3 years.
Old 01-14-2024, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,747 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
A scratched windshield doesn’t mean the car is going to fall apart lol

Anything can be scratched.
Splaktar (01-15-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by SW20S
A scratched windshield doesn’t mean the car is going to fall apart lol

Anything can be scratched.
No, I don't think the car will fall apart from a scratch either, and I don't mind a scratch here or there at all. My main concern was/is if this happening so early could be an indicator of the overall quality of the parts used in this $100K truck. In my 25+ years of driving (and owning over 15 Mercedes, including 3 GLSs), I never recall having to be worried if an invisible piece of debris stuck under a wiper would scratch my windshield so easily whenever I pressed the wiper stalk. One would think the glass they use in such a place should meet a minimum set of requirements to fare a bit better after a few months of routine use, but what do I know...
Splaktar (01-15-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 04:04 PM

Received 200 Likes on 162 Posts
'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by rayzam
No, I don't think the car will fall apart from a scratch either, and I don't mind a scratch here or there at all. My main concern was/is if this happening so early could be an indicator of the overall quality of the parts used in this $100K truck. In my 25+ years of driving (and owning over 15 Mercedes, including 3 GLSs), I never recall having to be worried if an invisible piece of debris stuck under a wiper would scratch my windshield so easily whenever I pressed the wiper stalk. One would think the glass they use in such a place should meet a minimum set of requirements to fare a bit better after a few months of routine use, but what do I know...
There's a palpable cheapness to the newer stuff.

Did you spec yours w/acoustic glass?
Old 01-14-2024, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,747 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by rayzam
Its just luck of the draw, it never happened to you before but it did now. MB Doesn't make glass, its made by a glass manufacturer who makes glass for many different cars. Don't be dramatic about it.
Old 01-15-2024, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by EWL5
There's a palpable cheapness to the newer stuff.

Did you spec yours w/acoustic glass?
And hence my concern.

No, it has regular glass (thankfully, since it's not the road noise that's bothering me, but the rattling noise coming from inside the cabin lol).
EWL5 (01-15-2024)