GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Roof spoiler functionality or lack thereof

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 09:46 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
2020 GLS 450
Roof spoiler functionality or lack thereof

I know there are older posts about people asking whether they should buy the roof spoiler option mostly because they like the looks of it. Not really addressed was whether there is a real functional purpose for it. I've had one for 4 years now and felt strongly about signing on to the option then, mostly because I thought it looked cool but I also thought it would keep my rear window cleaner. Unfortunately my experience is not just that the spoiler is not functional, but that it is actually counterproductive because it directly funnels dust and dirty rain and salted road water directly onto the back window that the rear wiper/washer can't always keep clean. Didn't order it on the new 580 I'm waiting for. Has anyone had the same experience, or are folks willing to put up with that because they just like the look of it?
The following users liked this post:
Splaktar (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 07:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 647 Likes on 402 Posts
2014 E350 4-matic Sport & 2020 GLS450
We’ve got it, but haven’t noticed any difference in how dirty the back gets from other SUV’s that didn’t have it that w’ve owned in the past. The grim come up from the road, not necessarily down from the sky.

perhaps rain-x on the back window will help. We put it on all exterior glass on all cars, and makes a massive difference in visibility. Usually don’t have to reapply it to the side and rear windows (and headlight/tail lights) for several years.

we definitely like having it. Helps it stand out from the rest, just a finishing touch.

Last edited by nc211; 01-18-2024 at 07:04 AM.
John M. Karian (01-19-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 10:55 AM

2020 GLS 450
I've used rain-x from time to time. I guess the thing is there's no real functionality the roof spoiler serves--it's just an aesthetic thing. It's not advertised by MB as having any purpose to improving the driving experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by Daromo:
John M. Karian (01-19-2024), Splaktar (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 647 Likes on 402 Posts
2014 E350 4-matic Sport & 2020 GLS450
100% agree, just for looks. But in all fairness, does a spoiler really do anything of substance for driving dynamics on the average family car for public road usage in the US? Maybe in germany at 125mph down the autobahn a little, but would also assume the double-side tape they use to attach it with would not withstand those types of pressures. Maybe the 911’s spoiler has an impact, but too unlucky to know personally..
The following 3 users liked this post by nc211:
Daromo (01-19-2024), EWL5 (01-18-2024), John M. Karian (01-19-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 12:00 PM

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
2024 GLS 580, 2022 Sprinter-based Winnebago View 24D
It's a really strange ordering process for the spoiler. In the pictures they show, it's black on a white body. But I looked at one on a white GLS 580 early this week and saw that it's painted with the body color. The paint looks good and matches.

That said, I'm happy that I didn't get it. I don't see any functionality to it, and it seems like it adds another crease in the vehicle for potential issues. I often like the look of spoilers (my 2003 Highlander had one), but I don't really appreciate the design of this one for the GLS.
Daromo (01-21-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 06:26 PM

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts
'20 GLS450, '17 S550 Sedan
Originally Posted by Daromo
I know there are older posts about people asking whether they should buy the roof spoiler option mostly because they like the looks of it. Not really addressed was whether there is a real functional purpose for it. I've had one for 4 years now and felt strongly about signing on to the option then, mostly because I thought it looked cool but I also thought it would keep my rear window cleaner. Unfortunately my experience is not just that the spoiler is not functional, but that it is actually counterproductive because it directly funnels dust and dirty rain and salted road water directly onto the back window that the rear wiper/washer can't always keep clean. Didn't order it on the new 580 I'm waiting for. Has anyone had the same experience, or are folks willing to put up with that because they just like the look of it?
Mercedes' choice of words is humorous... "a sportier and more prominent spoiler adds further style without reducing function."

"Without reducing function" is a clever way of saying "Doesn't do a damn thing."

So yes, it's just for style. And to your point, it very well may make the rear window harder to keep clean.

We have it on ours, and we like the style. Would probably get it again. But as the saying goes, there's no accounting for taste.

Happy Motoring!
Old 01-18-2024, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,797 Likes on 2,539 Posts
2019 C63CS
The main purpose of a spoiler is to change the airflow around a vehicle. They "spoil" the airflow by reducing its negative effects, particularly undesired lift in road cars at higher speeds. This can help with traction and stability, reducing drag, increase fuel efficiency and improve aerodynamics. Ultimately, though, it has to be tested in a wind tunnel to make sure it actually improves things or at least not make things worse. Don't know if this one is wind tunnel tested, but I know aero add-ons on AMGs are wind tunnel tested and proven that they actually improve aerodynamics. But yes, especially aftermarket spoilers are mostly just for looks and may even reduce fuel efficiency and ruin the aerodynamics.

As for the dirt ending up on the rear window, the back of a car is a low pressure zone, so it sucks in debris and dirt. A spoiler may even further lower the pressure behind the car causing it to suck in even more dirt. The back of a car is the dirtiest part for this reason and especially in hatchbacks and SUVs with the rear glass at the very edge of the car, the dirt ends up on the glass.
The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
Daromo (01-19-2024), ksalno (01-18-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 11:34 PM

2020 GLS 450
Originally Posted by Splaktar
It's a really strange ordering process for the spoiler. In the pictures they show, it's black on a white body. But I looked at one on a white GLS 580 early this week and saw that it's painted with the body color. The paint looks good and matches.

That said, I'm happy that I didn't get it. I don't see any functionality to it, and it seems like it adds another crease in the vehicle for potential issues. I often like the look of spoilers (my 2003 Highlander had one), but I don't really appreciate the design of this one for the GLS.
I went back and forth on this one and decided against it. Put the money (plus some more) toward the Burmester 3D sound system. I'll enjoy that while I drive.
The following 2 users liked this post by Daromo:
EWL5 (01-20-2024), Splaktar (01-20-2024)