x167 GLS400 SUSPENSION PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
167 GLS400d
x167 GLS400 SUSPENSION PROBLEMS

Hello friends,

I'm in demand. I bought a new GLS400d, and essentially after 2 weeks of use, an interesting effect appeared.

The car behaves strangely, it does not show any errors, I have been to the dealership several times and no one has helped.

Namely, I drive a car and the car does not soften the shocks from the unevenness of the road, but all shocks are felt through the seat and the steering wheel into the body.

The next day is so that it feels like floating and does not feel any bumps and unevenness of the road.

It doesn't show any errors, it looks like the car has a problem with the inflation of the airbag. I have noticed that when the vehicle is stiff, it seems somehow lower and at the height of the E class, but everything seems to be fine from the outside.

I NOTE that the vehicle is always in COMFORT position, M+S tires, i.e. soft compound and tire pressure is 2.4 BAR.
Old 01-30-2024, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2024 GLS 450
Originally Posted by Ruzlan
Hello friends,

I'm in demand. I bought a new GLS400d, and essentially after 2 weeks of use, an interesting effect appeared.

The car behaves strangely, it does not show any errors, I have been to the dealership several times and no one has helped.

Namely, I drive a car and the car does not soften the shocks from the unevenness of the road, but all shocks are felt through the seat and the steering wheel into the body.

The next day is so that it feels like floating and does not feel any bumps and unevenness of the road.

It doesn't show any errors, it looks like the car has a problem with the inflation of the airbag. I have noticed that when the vehicle is stiff, it seems somehow lower and at the height of the E class, but everything seems to be fine from the outside.

I NOTE that the vehicle is always in COMFORT position, M+S tires, i.e. soft compound and tire pressure is 2.4 BAR.

I have the exact same problem for my 24 GLS 450, went to the 2 different dealers twice already . Pretty disappointed , not sure what to do. Does anyone else have this issue?
Old 01-31-2024, 04:10 AM

167 GLS400d
Yesterday I came again from the MB representative office, and I was already looked at very strangely. They were even angry with me that there was nothing wrong and they said that everything was fine

The vehicle becomes stiff as if driving on an A45 AMG with 21-inch rims - even when driving over the STOP line, you can feel its excess very strongly.

But an hour later, and you can immediately feel it very seriously that the vehicle has become soft again - and the suspension soaks up all the bumps, you can't even feel the railway crossing

I think that there is a fault with the level sensor, the compressor or the road reading camera - but no MB representative digs deeper or tries to understand me
Old 01-31-2024, 07:32 AM

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts
'23 GLS450
Do you have E-ABC on the car?
The following users liked this post:
LeadfootCJ7 (02-01-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 01:12 PM

167 GLS400d
No , i have regular AIRMATIC suspension

Old 01-31-2024, 01:13 PM

2024 GLS 450
Originally Posted by EWL5
Do you have E-ABC on the car?
I don't have for mine and I have the same issue. When I go over a bump the whole car vibrates just like when you drop a coil and it vibrates until the energy is dissipated.
Old 01-31-2024, 01:14 PM

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts
'23 GLS450
I'm not a mechanic but sounds like a shock and/or strut problem...
Old 01-31-2024, 01:15 PM

2024 GLS 450
For reference, I drove a Loaner EQE while I was getting this checked for the first time. EQE drove like butter on the same roads.
Old 01-31-2024, 01:24 PM

167 GLS400d
Exactly, even CLA is much softer and move really smooth

Old 01-31-2024, 01:30 PM

2024 GLS 450
I also noticed that my car rear suspension is more rigid.
Does your car also rattle a lot when you go on bumps?
Old 01-31-2024, 01:31 PM

2024 GLS 450
Love the color, the white makes it look massive!
Old 01-31-2024, 01:43 PM

167 GLS400d
yes exactly
the front part still somehow absorbs this jump, but the back part jumps and bumps like a 40's Jeep ******

the fact that it is MB's flagship SUV is very sad
Old 01-31-2024, 01:46 PM

167 GLS400d
white on white

Splaktar (02-01-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 01:58 PM

2024 GLS 450
white on white
Sweet.
I got back with brown

Old 01-31-2024, 02:11 PM

167 GLS400d
Ou dear very nice, you have a FACELIFT
but at the same time I am also very disappointed because you have a facelift and still the same inexplicable problems.... (
Old 01-31-2024, 02:30 PM

2024 GLS 450
Exactly, lets hope both of us walk out happy and get this resolved because I truly love this car. Would be sad to know if theres no fix to this lol
Old 01-31-2024, 02:37 PM

167 GLS400d
the saddest thing is that there doesn't seem to be a solution - they say that there is no error or malfunction
I don't think they check the pressure of the airbags and the compressor and the deep repair there, they just go by the error code

My other vehicle is a BMW X7 - and it is much softer, in addition, the HARMAN KARDON plays much better because it has a physical SUBWOOFER, which unfortunately the MB GLS BURMESTR does not have, only speakers

The MB GLS is really the best-looking SUV, and the spaciousness of its cabin and driving dynamics, especially above 150 km/h, are the details why I respect and chose this vehicle

However, by paying €140,000, you could also get the corresponding driving comfort and service, which unfortunately is not and is not offered (in the form of problem finding and solution, an official MB representative office)
Old 01-31-2024, 02:52 PM

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
GLS450 (2024), C300 (2023), EQE350+ (2024)
With a bouncy car my first thought is usually over-inflated tires, but since your car has already been at the dealership (and no message from TPMS), I guess they should have ruled it out, so... good luck!
Splaktar (02-01-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 02:56 PM

167 GLS400d
Unfortunaly not,
I allready try to remove my Mercedes ME and disconnected from car aswell, I suspected that it might somehow reflect the settings of the CLA250, which was purchased for a young relative

But no any changes in this question
Old 01-31-2024, 04:12 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
22 GLS 450 19 CLS 450
FYI this is a software issue. I had this same thing happen with two GLC loaners. The first time I didn't care because it wasn't my car. But after the second one did the exact same thing I finally asked when I returned it and was told it was a known software issue that requires an update but the update takes 2 hours per car and because demand far exceeded the available loaners they weren't able to take them out of service for the amount of time required to install the update.

Another thing that would be helpful for most people to keep in mind is that these are no longer cars as much as they are computers with wheels. It would be very unlikely for even 2 or 3 year old cars to have a serious mechanical failure with the suspension components. Unless I can physically see some type of failure or damage or defect I will always start with software and then work my way back.
Splaktar (02-01-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 04:17 PM

167 GLS400d
Originally Posted by mike7513
FYI this is a software issue. I had this same thing happen with two GLC loaners. The first time I didn't care because it wasn't my car. But after the second one did the exact same thing I finally asked when I returned it and was told it was a known software issue that requires an update but the update takes 2 hours per car and because demand far exceeded the available loaners they weren't able to take them out of service for the amount of time required to install the update.

Another thing that would be helpful for most people to keep in mind is that these are no longer cars as much as they are computers with wheels. It would be very unlikely for even 2 or 3 year old cars to have a serious mechanical failure with the suspension components. Unless I can physically see some type of failure or damage or defect I will always start with software and then work my way back.
Actually thank you for good advise
I will push MB guys to make software update but evenly they told that there is latest update on it - but anyway will try to make one more - or just to relaunch their system
Old 01-31-2024, 05:13 PM

22 GLS 450 19 CLS 450
Actually thank you for good advise
I will push MB guys to make software update but evenly they told that there is latest update on it - but anyway will try to make one more - or just to relaunch their system
You're welcome. A couple additional things I would like to add. In my experience I have found that there is a wide variance in the knowledge level of MB dealer technicians when it comes to the software in these cars. Being told "everything is up to date" can be defined very differently from tech to tech based on their education and experience level with the software. You may very well be up to date or have the latest install but that doesn't necessarily mean something isn't wrong if that technician doesn't know where to be looking for the problem.

To that same end, all of these cars cost a lot of money. You shouldn't be afraid to advocate for yourself regarding your vehicle in the same way you would advocate for yourself with your physician. If something is wrong you should always stand your ground and if need be there is no shame in dealer hopping. I am within probably 20-25 minutes of 5 MB dealers and after having experience with all 5 there is only 1 I will take my cars to and it is not the dealer I purchased either of my vehicles from.

Best of luck, let us know how things turn out.
Splaktar (02-01-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 07:51 PM

2024 GLS 450
You're welcome. A couple additional things I would like to add. In my experience I have found that there is a wide variance in the knowledge level of MB dealer technicians when it comes to the software in these cars. Being told "everything is up to date" can be defined very differently from tech to tech based on their education and experience level with the software. You may very well be up to date or have the latest install but that doesn't necessarily mean something isn't wrong if that technician doesn't know where to be looking for the problem.

To that same end, all of these cars cost a lot of money. You shouldn't be afraid to advocate for yourself regarding your vehicle in the same way you would advocate for yourself with your physician. If something is wrong you should always stand your ground and if need be there is no shame in dealer hopping. I am within probably 20-25 minutes of 5 MB dealers and after having experience with all 5 there is only 1 I will take my cars to and it is not the dealer I purchased either of my vehicles from.

i appreciate taking time to answer the questions!
When referring to software update. Are you talking about the default MBUX software on the vehicle or is there a separate software version for the suspension component that needs to be addressed?

By any chance, could the 5 dealers you mentioned be located in DFW area?
Old 01-31-2024, 08:22 PM

22 GLS 450 19 CLS 450
Originally Posted by yf23
i appreciate taking time to answer the questions!
When referring to software update. Are you talking about the default MBUX software on the vehicle or is there a separate software version for the suspension component that needs to be addressed?

By any chance, could the 5 dealers you mentioned be located in DFW area?
MBUX does nothing other than display information for the driver and passengers and provide an interface to access features that are not controlled with a physical button or switch.

Pretty much every new car made is almost entirely controlled by software that is responsible for everything from what rpm the car idles at to whether you can even unlock your doors or start your car or not.

If someone at your dealer says anything about MBUX during your discuss about the issue you are experiencing I would get in your car immediately and drive as fast as possible in the opposite direction.

Also, no I am not from the DFW area.
yf23 (01-31-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 02:44 AM

167 GLS400d

first of all i would like to thank you gentlemen

very promising, encouraging and good thoughts
I will undertake the MB dealership and will definitely inform you of the results.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: x167 GLS400 SUSPENSION PROBLEMS